Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
6 month old waking EVERY HOUR!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 10:17 am
I’m losing my mind...
She used to sleep sooooo well at night- only woke up to eat at 1:30 and at 5:30 until recently. She then started making up every 3 hours, and now it’s literally every hour (or less).
This night was
1:15
3:15
4:30
5:15 and then she couldn’t settle for another hour until I gave her a bottle at 6:15. I can’t anymore... any advice?

I know 6 month is a growth spurt, but it’s going on for too long already, and she’s not yet officially 6 months old

mom!

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 10:29 am
Sounds like she isn’t getting full from the bottle. Time to start solids.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 1:35 pm
She’s breastfed.I only gave a bottle 6:15 because I was fed up from nursing her so much during the night. She doesn’t nurse for very long and I can’t push in food if she doesn’t want it

Jewishmom8

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 1:37 pm
She isn't getting enough from breastfeeding.
give her more bottles during the day and solids.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 1:45 pm
I thought she may be hungry, but if yes 1) why isn’t she emptying my breasts? 2) how is she content during the day and not asking for food for 3-4 hrs after a feeding?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 1:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I thought she may be hungry, but if yes 1) why isn’t she emptying my breasts? 2) how is she content during the day and not asking for food for 3-4 hrs after a feeding?

1)you said she doesn't like to nurse for too long. Maybe she doesn't have patience to wait to empty your breasts?
2) She may be content during the day because she's filling up at night.

SYA

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 2:08 pm
She is hungry and needs to eat more

Sb1234

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 2:10 pm
6 months is a good time to start solids anyway. And it will probably help her sleep better at night.

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 2:18 pm
Going through this now. It’s so hard! Does your baby always nurse to sleep? For naps and nighttime?
For mine, I’m assuming it’s a comfort thing because she doesn’t take a pacifier so anytime she wakes she wants to suck back to sleep. I’m starting solids anyway but I don’t think that will magically change everything. Time for sleep training but I’m so bad at it. Can’t stand having baby cry so I always give in.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:02 pm
No she doesn’t nurse to sleep. She takes a pacifier very nicely. I’m just curious to those that say she’s hungry, why don’t I see her sucking more and then getting upset that there’s no milk? She seems to be showing me she’s full by pulling away from the breast.... is there something I’m missing here?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:05 pm
Is there a history of reflux?

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:13 pm
If I were a kid, I would also wake up every hour if I got to eat every time. Time to delay the time you come to her when she cries. Wait 3-5 minutes (use a timer to help yourself), and if she’s still crying, don’t pick her up, just rub her back for 1-2 minutes through the crib and leave the room silently. If still crying, wait another 3-5 minutes and do the same thing 3-4x in and out, and only then go in and pick her up.

Babies don’t usually need to eat in the middle of the night by that age and she needs to learn to self-soothe. It’s a gift to your child!

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:15 pm
Sleep regression at 6 months is quite common. She might be teething and it's bothering her.

monseymom25

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:41 pm
Maybe she’s teething and her gums are hurting her?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 4:41 pm
No reflux Bh.
She is teething.
When she cries I always first try giving her pacifier and rubbing her back. When that doesn’t help for 5-10 minutes, I feed her. If I won’t feed her, I’m basically sleep training her and letting her cry until she falls asleep. I’m not (yet) ready to sleep train. I’ve sleep trained my other kids when I felt it was really necessary, but generally she falls asleep without rocking, shaking, eating, or other unhealthy habits.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 4:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No reflux Bh.
She is teething.
When she cries I always first try giving her pacifier and rubbing her back. When that doesn’t help for 5-10 minutes, I feed her. If I won’t feed her, I’m basically sleep training her and letting her cry until she falls asleep. I’m not (yet) ready to sleep train. I’ve sleep trained my other kids when I felt it was really necessary, but generally she falls asleep without rocking, shaking, eating, or other unhealthy habits.

My guess is either teething - try giving her kiddie Tylenol and see if she sleeps better - or it's too hot/ cold for her in the room.

My other guess would be that she's developing some kind of flu/ infection, and you'll find it out in another day or two.

If she is otherwise happy, playing, sleeping okay during the day, etc. I wouldn't jump to assume she's not getting enough to eat. (That IS a favorite thing to blame when babies don't sleep, though, especially if the baby is breastfed and the mom suggesting that baby is hungry is a formula feeder.) Of course at six months you can give her whatever she wants (and is able to chew/ swallow safely) from the table, other than milk and honey.

Also when did she last poop and how was it, and is she taking antibiotics? She's a bit old to be gassy but sometimes antibiotics mess with the digestive system, and sometimes diarrhea/ constipation/ regular gas can disturb their sleep.

Personally my baby spent the past three nights (four? or five?) doing exactly this, waking up every hour. BH for antibiotics, it turned out to be an ear infection and as the infection gets better baby sleeps more.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 4:49 pm
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
If I were a kid, I would also wake up every hour if I got to eat every time. Time to delay the time you come to her when she cries. Wait 3-5 minutes (use a timer to help yourself), and if she’s still crying, don’t pick her up, just rub her back for 1-2 minutes through the crib and leave the room silently. If still crying, wait another 3-5 minutes and do the same thing 3-4x in and out, and only then go in and pick her up.

Babies don’t usually need to eat in the middle of the night by that age and she needs to learn to self-soothe. It’s a gift to your child!

1. Yes, but that's when you're a KID. Not a BABY.

2. It is perfectly normal for babies to eat in the middle of the night up to about 18 months. Some babies don't need it, others do. It's about half and half.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 4:51 pm
Wanting you.
Wanting to make sure you’re still there.

Those are my thoughts as possibilities

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 5:11 pm
She’s pooping regularly and she’s not on antibiotics or anything. It was gradually getting more and more often that she was waking up. It’s not instantly from one day to the next

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 5:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She’s pooping regularly and she’s not on antibiotics or anything. It was gradually getting more and more often that she was waking up. It’s not instantly from one day to the next

So try Tylenol, and if that doesn't work try changing the temperature in the room she sleeps in.

If Tylenol works, take her in to see your doctor.

If Tylenol doesn't work you can try giving her more solids or try cutting out a nap. Or try just holding her. Sometimes they need to be held.

I'm a bad mommy. When they need snuggles and I'm too tired to hold them without falling asleep, I take them to bed with me. Baby's head goes on my arm, so my arm is between my pillow and the baby. My blanket stays around my waist and tucked under my upper arm so it can't move. I don't sleep too well because part of me is making sure baby is safe, but it's better than no sleep at all. I can't suggest you do the same, because you're not supposed to bedshare with babies (which is why I'm a bad mommy). But it works for us.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics