Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
6 month old waking EVERY HOUR!
Previous  1  2

trixx

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 5:42 pm
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
If I were a kid, I would also wake up every hour if I got to eat every time. Time to delay the time you come to her when she cries. Wait 3-5 minutes (use a timer to help yourself), and if she’s still crying, don’t pick her up, just rub her back for 1-2 minutes through the crib and leave the room silently. If still crying, wait another 3-5 minutes and do the same thing 3-4x in and out, and only then go in and pick her up.

Babies don’t usually need to eat in the middle of the night by that age and she needs to learn to self-soothe. It’s a gift to your child!

Bad science, and false. Babies don't learn to self soothe by being left alone. They learn to shut up bc there's no point in communicating their needs.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 11:46 pm
Co-sleeping is a lifesaver and it helps the baby feel secure so she can sleep better. It's not a sign of a bad mommy at all.

OP, this is a very hard stage. Most babies need comfort and/or feedings during the night. Somehow, we manage to get through it. Just keep up the good work and before you know it, she'll grow up and have trouble waking up in the morning.

amother
Stone

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 1:22 am
I’m thinking ear infection. Please go to dr to check it out.

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 2:00 am
What about cluster feeding in the evening? 4 hours during the day for an EBF baby is a long time if they don't get frequent feeds at some point.
If she she is showing any signs of illness, check for ear infection. Is she cranky when she wakes up?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 7:32 am
Wow, this sure brings back memories!

It turned out that DD had a weak latch, but it was subtle so the lactation consultant didn't pick up on it. She was also teething, and her gums were sore. If she had to pull really hard to get milk it hurt her, yet she was hungry, and she cried a lot. She'd fall asleep or push away, just to wake up a half an hour later, starving. She nursed all the time, but not for long. Her weight started to drop, and the doctor had us supplement with formula.

I was that crunchy mama that wanted to do EBF as long as humanly possible, but it just didn't work out that way. Sometime you have to be able to readjust your expectations, because life happens. As long as everyone is getting their needs met, that's the ultimate goal.

Once she discovered that the bottle was easier to drink from, and didn't hurt her gums, she weaned herself in one feeding. She wasn't the least bit interested in nursing anymore (I don't blame her, but it made me pretty sad. I enjoyed nursing.) She started gaining nicely, and sleeping for longer stretches at a time. By 5 1/2 months, we started giving her a little rice cereal at night, and she was sleeping 6 hours straight. She'd wake up for a diaper change and a bottle, and then sleep for 4 more hours.

I got my sanity back, and she was a happy, chunky baby.

SYA

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 7:40 am
My babies did that around 5-6 months. It was a sign they needed more to be satisfied. EBF babies should not be more than 3 hours between each feeding. Once I started giving some solids (like baby cereal) in the evening they started sleeping better.

Check the room temp and that the child is well.
Also check for silent reflux though that would also affect naps during the day.
Otherwise I would try some solids a little bit after nursing and see if that helps.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 8:29 am
Update:
Yesterday I gave her 1 oz formula bottle after every feed during the day. In the evening I fed her more often and offered apple sauce. During the night I fed her both sides even if she seemed done after nursing just one side and she stretched 2 1/2 hrs between feeds.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics