Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Should I take the job?
Previous  1  2

Would you take the job?
Yes  
 84%  [ 21 ]
No  
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 25

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 4:48 am
Not true. Working less hours won't hold her place. You only get kviut when you start your third year at the same school with 8 hours or more. So if she works less, her job is not protected one she starts the third year, like it would be if she worked the 8 hours.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 4:49 am
im a teacher: YES take the job!!!!

I have learned MOST of my skills in the most difficult classes of the most difficult schools.

it taught me tons - it was hard (I also had small kids)) yet iut was os so worth it.

dotn regret my decision.

iw as there 2 years and wen I swiched to a frummer girls school I was rquipped with so much much experience, the headmistress was really impressed.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 4:53 am
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
Not true. Working less hours won't hold her place. You only get kviut when you start your third year at the same school with 8 hours or more. So if she works less, her job is not protected one she starts the third year, like it would be if she worked the 8 hours.

I never said it would give kviut. I said from the school's perspective it helps hold her place, because the school is more likely to prefer her adding more hours to hiring an unknown.

However, you bring up an important point, which is that until she has kivut from Misrad Hachinuch, Misrad Hachinuch can put whoever they want in her place and give them all her hours. If there is a teacher with kviut who needs her hours they can kick her out even if the school doesn't want them to.

That said, usually schools also have non-Misrad Hachinuch hours, from an amuta, and they can usually offer those to teachers they really want to keep (and that also has a type of kviut, from that amuta, after 2 years, IIRC).

At any rate, kviut isn't automatic after the end of the second year, and often they find a way not to give it. Many teachers who should have kviut don't, because Misrad Hachinuch can't commit so the person sent finds fault and recommends holding off for another year and then re-evaluating.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 4:55 am
Yes, amother Hawthorn, you're right that there are still lots of benefits to working even if it's only a few hours. However, I think it's extremely important for new teachers in the system to know as much as possible about how the system works so they can make smart decisions from the beginning. So many teachers, especially Olim who do not understand all of the nuances, make major mistakes that cost them down the line because they just don't know better.

I want to help OP make informed decisions. People who are not in the Israeli education system (or not in government Misrad Hachinuch schools) can make lots of suggestions without understanding the long term consequences, and the fine print.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:00 am
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:

That said, usually schools also have non-Misrad Hachinuch hours, from an amuta, and they can usually offer those to teachers they really want to keep (and that also has a type of kviut, from that amuta, after 2 years, IIRC).

At any rate, kviut isn't automatic after the end of the second year, and often they find a way not to give it. Many teachers who should have kviut don't, because Misrad Hachinuch can't commit so the person sent finds fault and recommends holding off for another year and then re-evaluating.

These are great points!

(Just mentioning she said high school, Amuta hours are generally elementary and middle school, all of high school is from Amuta or Iriya, but they have to offer Oz Letmura, unless the teacher opts out)

Another point for the future: I think you can only go into Oz Letmura with a minimum of 8 hours.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:05 am
One more thing - remember to open up a keren hishtalmut fund if you do start.
Most schools are not organized enough to remind you to do this. You need to be proactive about getting the forms. You may need to go to the bank, I am not sure.
Keren Hishtalmut means your employer deposits money every month toward a sabbatical year or savings account.
If you only remember a year or two later, you miss those deposits - it's not given retroactively.

moonstone

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 6:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't think I'll ever get an offer in the charedi sector since I became religious after attending university and when I spoke with the woman in charge of placing teachers in charedi institutions she basically said that a university education is looked down on in charedi circles and there's no point even sending them my CV.

Am I the only one disgusted by this? So they're going out of their way to exclude the better, more qualified teachers. Nice.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics