Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
The name leah/liya

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:17 am
Hi! First, would you confuse the name of liya, to Hashem, not leah? Secondly, as for leah, why do people choose this name is it means tired/weary? She cried all the time because she didn’t want to marry eisav!?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:21 am
If a girl is named Liya, everyone will call her Leah. So if you don't like the name Leah, I'd drop it.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:22 am
Eisav was a powerful and rich man, but this didn’t matter to her- she wanted spirituality.
She changed her own fate and married Yaakov.
She gave birth to six of the shevatim.
It’s easy to look at the “flaws” mentioned in the Torah but remember that there are very very few flaws in comparison to her greatness.
Interestingly, I’ve never heard of the name “Lee-ya” as a separate meaning. I know secular women named Leah who pronounce it that way.

CPenzias

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:25 am
My daughter is Liya and spelled that way too 😁
She was named after my husband's grandmother who passed away when he was a baby. She's Liya Ayelet (in Hebrew it's obviously Leah)

amother
Lightcyan

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:25 am
My DD is named Leah. In a sense we didn't choose the name but the person - we named her after DH's mother.

No, it has never occurred to me to confuse her name with Liya, at all. Her name is Leah.

Also in terms of the meaning, Leah was one of our great Imahos. Her persistence in Tefillah is inspiring, showing how a person can rise above their seemingly set path in life. She merited to marry Yaakov and be the mother of the most Shevatim. When she named her son Yehuda, she also taught us by her example to appreciate and thank Hashem for all the good we have in life (even though she didn't have it so easy. She was still grateful for what she did have).

My MIL A"H lived up to her name. She had a really close connection to Hashem. She was a big davener. And she was constantly saying how grateful she was to him for everything she had. And didn't complain about the hard parts - and she had those too. But it wasn't her focus.

She beat cancer a first time and went into remission and raised her family. And when it came back a second time, she didn't let it beat her. She was always smiling and positive. Grateful. The nurses in the hospital were so inspired by her, they often told us. She never complained. She loved her family and loved Hashem.

So I see her name as positive, and it's a worthy name for my daughter to carry.

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 11:23 am
I was going to write a post just like this OP
I'd love to name after my grandmother Leah but I'm having a hard time with the name because of the meaning. I really love names that have a nice meaning. I also find that anyone I know with the name leah- all have no personality, very quiet and nebach. I'm sure many Leah's arent like that, but that's what I see.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 11:25 am
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
I'd love to name after my grandmother Leah but I'm having a hard time with the name because of the meaning. I really love names that have a nice meaning. I also find that anyone I know with the name leah- all have no personality, very quiet and nebach. I'm sure many Leah's arent like that, but that's what I see.

Well, you haven't met my DD or any of my nieces, then all named after my MIL.
They are all STRONG personalities, dynamos. I was recently discussing this with a good friend - also a Leah BTW - and saying that all the Leah's I know are personalities.
Mine is a character. The real deal, I promise you. Not a dull moment since she joined the planet.
LOL

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 11:59 am
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:

Oh my then you haven't met my Leah! She is the friendliest funniest kid with such a huge character. Also so persistent and exasperating at times!

OP I named Leah after a grandmother, I wasnt crazy over the name at the beginning. Now its grown on me so much I love it. When I told a friend I named my baby Leah her first reaction was I love the name, every Leah I know is gorgeous! Made me so happy and my dd is also knh beautiful

amother
Vanilla

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 12:44 pm
I've taught at least 3 leahs. (The first that come to mind)
none were lemelach.

OP, what is liya?
How would you spell that? Or are pronouncing lamed alef hey the way chassidim do?
If so, spell it leah or laya
If not, sounds like a made up name

amother
Ultramarine

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 2:24 pm
One of my names is Leah.
I will always remember my 10th grade Chumash teacher who taught us the parshas with Leah and and all the shevatim- we learned the root for all the names and why they were chosen.
I don't remember the specific source anymore but although Leah literally translates to weak/weary/tired, one of the sources of the name is actually from "M'leah chachmah" which translates to "full of wisdom".
I have ever since loved and connected to my name on another level since learning this.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 3:09 pm
I would consider Liyah a female equivalent of Eliyahu. Leah is a completely different name, though the English pronunciation is the same.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names