Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How long does it take you to cook for a two day yomtov?
Previous  1  2

amother
Amaryllis

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 5:14 pm
I have teenage dtr.s and we eat both fairly simple and I spend a little extra.
They help so it both goes faster and is enjoyable.
They wash/ peel / cut and put veggies and potatoes… on cooking sheets in the oven. I make the chicken/meats and “gross” things they don’t want to touch. A corn-beef or brisket is easy but more expensive (although I do but on sale and freeze for YT. I paid $10lb, which really isn’t bad). Chicken cutlets are easy to as I bake, not fry them, and a turkey roast is mindless.
The bakery makes challah and dessert is Dunkin Hines and fresh fruit. If company is coming and offers to bring something, I always gladly accept dessert.
I do all my cooking the night before/that afternoon. I do not cook in advance and freeze, but I have no issues staying up to 3 am.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 5:36 pm
lfab wrote:
I don't necessarily cook for just a 2 day y"t at a time so can't really guage exactly how long it takes. This time of year, with so much y"t and shabbos in a row, I start by cooking weeks in advance. I'll make bigger items like soup, challah, meats, and baked goods for 3-4 Sundays before Rosh Hashana making 1-2 things each week depending how much time I have. I also double or triple things in making for shabbosim for 3-4 weeks before y"t. So one week I made 3 deli rolls, another 4 noodle kugels, another week some fruit crisps. Each week I used one for that shabbos and the rest go on the freezer for a y"t meal. I also prep double the amount of chicken I need each week for shabbos for a few weeks before y"t and freeze half for y"t (depending on the type of chicken I may cook and freeze or just prep and freeze raw to take out and cook erev y"t). In the week leading up to y"t I try to make at least 1 thing each night if I don't already have enough in the freezer. Anything that needs to be made fresh, like veggie sides and salads, gets cooked the night before y"t or erev y"t itself. It's a lot of work for weeks before but I find it's the only way to get it all done when you work full time and have a house full of kids and want to come into y"t calm and not crazy rushed.

Good point. I was about to say that it takes weeks and weeks for me but I realize now that I’ve been cooking for the entire month of
Tishrei, chagim and shabbosim. (I’m not near finished but did a huge bulk, so it’s less overwhelming and now I need mostly fillers.)

Just One

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 5:36 pm
Bh I work for a Jewish company so don't need to come in erev yt. I cook the night before and day of. That's it

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 6:30 pm
I made my challah, meats and some soup in July. I made a large chicken soup today. I have 3 more things to do "in advance" and the rest are last minute for erev Yuntif.

mommy12

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 7:23 pm
I do it one or two days before in the evenings. I tend to do a lot in a short time instead of spreading it out. But I will also have leftovers at meals so I don't need four completely different meals. And we don't do huge meals either. I'm not making several courses for each meal either.

amother
Ebony

Post Sat, Aug 28 2021, 4:03 pm
Dh and I cook together, he probably does even more than I do, as he's more into cooking.
We do it all on erev yom tov, luckily we live in Israel and we have the day off. It's a marathon of cooking and cleaning that day. Very tiring, but I much prefer it to spreading it out over a week or two.

We tend to eat the same stuff from meal to meal. And we also cook on yom tov itself very often.

amother
Catmint

Post Sat, Aug 28 2021, 6:04 pm
Feeling very inspired that so many people only start a day or two before. I hope to bake Challa tomorrow and then basically do everything next Sunday. I work full time and I barely manage to make supper. For Sukkos my older kids will be off from YK so they will help with desserts.
I keep on my platta on a timer on YT and make fresh side dishes that way like mushrooms, zuchini, even rice. Or I make couscous. Fresh and healthy.

curlyhead

Post Sat, Aug 28 2021, 6:09 pm
One and a half days

egam

Post Sat, Aug 28 2021, 10:17 pm
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:
I usually do everything the night before and erev yomtov besides challah which I try to do before and freeze

This and I cook on yom tov. I can’t cook weeks in advance. My family likes their food fresh. My goal usually is to make sure that I complete everything before that can’t be done on yom tov. Like some baking or things that need electric appliances. This year I have a few days off before Rosh Hashonah, so I hope to get done more then usual.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Aug 28 2021, 10:55 pm
How does everyone have enough fridge and freezer space to cook in advance? I can barely get the Shabbos food in the fridge after the meal Friday night.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Aug 28 2021, 10:59 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
How does everyone have enough fridge and freezer space to cook in advance? I can barely get the Shabbos food in the fridge after the meal Friday night.

I learnt to repackage everything into smaller containers.

Re cooking for yt, I have no patience for long drawn out cooking sprees. I do everything on erev yom tov. I do try to make doubles of stuff so we have enough for another meal but we have a small freezer so most everything gets done fresh. I spend about 2-3 hours in the kitchen.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking