Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Yom Tov in 10 minutes or less
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 9  10  11  Next

North Star

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 9:31 pm
Also, this thread is amazing! I saved lots of recipes already, thank you all!

I came across this gem from ra mom—oven baked farfel. My whole family loves it!

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....83944

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 9:40 pm
North Star wrote:
I love that you’re another yolk LOL
And another hosta sounds like a great hostess as well! Very Happy
I’m convinced there’s a little robot assigning colors that suit the poster lol how does it fit so perfectly so often?!

I’ve been amother narcissus before
😯

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 9:45 pm
Ra mom- you posted a two ingredient lemon pie- have you tried it yet?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 10:20 pm
I love this thread. Can I please be annoying and mention > means greater than.
Less than is <.

Carry on 😅

etky

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 1:53 am
tigerwife wrote:
Anyone have any hacks for Hawaiian chicken?

I've been making this recipe that Amarante posted some years back.
I'm not sure it's exactly what you had in mind but in our house we call it Hawaiian chicken because of the pineapple:

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....73460

I make it pretty much as it was posted except that recently I've made it a bit quicker to prepare by just dumping the sauce on the chicken cutlets as they come in the package and then I slice them after they are baked and cooled. I find it easier that way and the slices are neater.

One thing that I've found with this method though is that it's way better if you make it and slice it into small pieces the day before you need to serve it. That way the pieces have a chance to sit in the sauce and absorb the flavors.

ETA -lol, I just saw that you commented on that post, so you already are familiar with the recipe!
In any case, this was my 'hack' on it Smile

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:26 am
Any desserts??
Hacks?

I have one - put frozen choc chips cookies into individual pie shells on top of a peice of parve rosemary choc.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 min

Anyone else ??

amother
Red

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:31 am
Easy strawberry ice cream pie
Put 2 bags of strawberries in blender with one 16 oz jar of marshmallows fluff.
Whip 16 oz carton of whip.
Gently mix together and freeze.
I think it makes 2 or 3 Graham pie crust.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:38 am
Easy chocolate pie
Melt baking chocolate in one whip on top of stove, add a few spoon of peanut butter. Pour in pie crust.
Decorate with peanut crunch/whip/chocolate peels(peel chocolate with a clean peeler)

Parve cream cheese pie
Two toffuti cream cheese
1c sugar
Vanilla
4 eggs
Mix(do not overmix) pour into graham pie crust.
Variation:pour into chocolate pie crust and crush some oreos on top before baking.
40mn on 350°

sky

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:42 am
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Any desserts??
Hacks?

I have one - put frozen choc chips cookies into individual pie shells on top of a peice of parve rosemary choc.

Anyone else ??

This is an old one
Cookie and cream ice cream pie

Gently Crush about 10 sandwich cookies - not to crumbs.
Pour a completely defrosted whip into graham cracker pie crust (chocolate is best but any works) (don’t whip the whip). Pour in cookies all over. Gently Mix without breaking crust.
Freeze

amother
Red

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:43 am
Easy roast
Put roast in aluminum pan. Add onions,garlic, paprika,salt and pepper (to taste.)
Optional:You can add carrots, celery, mushrooms...depending on what your family likes(and what you have in the house)
Add a cup of red wine Cover pan extremely well and bake overnight in oven at 225°
Wake up to a delicious smell. Slice roast when cool and reheat in pan.

sky

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:57 am
I like to do leftover foods

Sushi salad - have to keep ingredients pareve - I make last meal to use up ingredients
Leftover rice or quinoa
Leftover salmon
Leftover julienne vegetables from simanim
Cut other veggies (carrots, cucumbers, avocado, mango, pre cut purple cabbage) right before serving
Drizzle with soy sauce. Decorate with bottled spicy Mayo (optional)

Reuse Chicken soup from Shabbos
Drain leftover soup into pot. Dice in leftover soup veggies like carrots and parsnip. Smoosh in a bag sweet potato and zucchini.
Add raw chicken cutlet. If not enough veggies can dice more carrots or put potato and zucchini in mesh bag into soup to cook and mash later.
Cook soup so chicken cutlets cooks. Remove chicken cutlet and shread. Add back to soup. Smoosh new veggies (I didn’t add new ones). Now you have cream of chicken soup. Or can add barley for chicken barley soup.

sky

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:59 am
Frozen veggies

On yom tov put any frozen veggie on cookie sheet.
Spray with pam and Spice
Broccoli - Montreal steak seasoning, garlic, salt
Cauliflower - zaater
String beans - same as broccoli
Let bake in any temp oven. Give enough time so it cooks through. If oven is very low won’t get same texture as high but still good.

raich

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:02 pm
sky wrote:
This is an old one
Cookie and cream ice cream pie

Gently Crush about 10 sandwich cookies - not to crumbs.
Pour a completely defrosted whip into graham cracker pie crust (chocolate is best but any works) (don’t whip the whip). Pour in cookies all over. Gently Mix without breaking crust.
Freeze

We're twins! I was just about to post this recipe Laugh

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:08 pm
SOUP: boil ANY veggy 8pumpkin, sweetpotato, carrot..., add roasted onions, garlic powder, salt, pepper. boil forever, mix. serve with croutonim and roasted almonds

add brisket, ducksauce, grapejuice and some dates to crockpot. medium 8 hours. yumm.

cut up potatoes into wedges (dont bother to peel). sprincle roast spices and paprica powder, add oil generously.
stick in oven and bake till it smells like fries.

4 eggs, 9 spoons cocoa, 9 spoons, sugar, 9 spoons oil, vanilla, baking woder (no matter how much, just a little Wink) - mix 1 minute, bake on 180 (either in a 9 by 12 pan, in muffincups, any cakepan...)
take out of oven poor apricot jam (instead of frosting/glazing) and sprinkle with WHATEVER (nuts, sprinles, choc cips, coconut...)

rich, any frozen fruit (no matter how much exactly) : mix and freeze in small cups.

4 onions diced, 5 garlicpiees diced, 1 kg, goulash, oil, wine, honey, rimon, applesauce: 8 hours on medium in crockpot. serve ontop of rice.

salmon, lemon, oliveoil, soysauce, honey, paprica powder- bake.

gefillta fish, brown sugar, oil, dille, bake.

cut a cantalupe in half, remove pits, add blueberries instead: voilá.

chicken thighs, garlic, peppers, oil, : bake.

blend any herbs, add mayo and garlic. serve with hot challahrolls and olives.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:30 pm
etky wrote:
I've been making this recipe that Amarante posted some years back.
I'm not sure it's exactly what you had in mind but in our house we call it Hawaiian chicken because of the pineapple:

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....73460

I make it pretty much as it was posted except that recently I've made it a bit quicker to prepare by just dumping the sauce on the chicken cutlets as they come in the package and then I slice them after they are baked and cooled. I find it easier that way and the slices are neater.

One thing that I've found with this method though is that it's way better if you make it and slice it into small pieces the day before you need to serve it. That way the pieces have a chance to sit in the sauce and absorb the flavors.

ETA -lol, I just saw that you commented on that post, so you already are familiar with the recipe!
In any case, this was my 'hack' on it Smile

That is too funny! I have no memory of this recipe but I commented that it was good so I assume we liked it Smile I saved it to my recipe box now.
I like the idea of cooking first and slicing with the sauce, sounds like that would work for YT. I do call pineapple chicken Hawaiian chicken, BTW, although I’m sure not all Hawaiian recipes include pineapple!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 8:13 am
raich wrote:
Amother hosta, you rock!

Easiest Roast Ever:

Buy a jar of Bone Suckin Sauce.

Pour over roast (I like to use silvertip)

Let it marinate for a few hours, then turn over and let marinate some more.

Bake covered for many hours.

Slice once cooled.

The end!

Sorry if this is a super obvious question...I'm new to this ... Bake on what temperature for how many hours? Any rough estimates appreciated, do NOT want to ruin this meat...

amother
White

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Any desserts??
Hacks?

Anyone else ??

Add some peanut butter or marshmallows

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:41 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Sorry if this is a super obvious question...I'm new to this ... Bake on what temperature for how many hours? Any rough estimates appreciated, do NOT want to ruin this meat...

Cook at about 300F, or around 175C. Every hour poke the meat with a fork. If it starts coming apart, then it's done. Take the meat out and don't mess with it until it's completely cooled, or you'll loose the juices.

The nice thing about roasts and other cheap cuts of meat, is that they're really hard to mess up. If you don't think it's coming out right, just keep cooking it longer. If you lower the heat a little bit more, you can just put it in when you go to bed, and it will be completely ready in the morning.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:44 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Put chicken cutlets in 9x13 pan (leave room between cutlets)
Pour thousand island dressing over
Cover with breadcrumbs
Turn each piece over and repeat. Scary tops with cooking spray Surprised Surprised Surprised
Bake uncovered on each side for 10-12 minutes

If I come to you for a meal, should I be nervous? LOL

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 9:44 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Cook at about 300F, or around 175C. Every hour poke the meat with a fork. If it starts coming apart, then it's done. Take the meat out and don't mess with it until it's completely cooled, or you'll loose the juices.

The nice thing about roasts and other cheap cuts of meat, is that they're really hard to mess up. If you don't think it's coming out right, just keep cooking it longer. If you lower the heat a little bit more, you can just put it in when you go to bed, and it will be completely ready in the morning.

Thanks, FF! You'd think I can't mess it up ... But I inevitably do when making meats that I don't always make...left my pepper steak on a low temp at 1 AM and set an alarm for 4:00 AM. Sad It somehow overcooked and dried out. Hoping it will be edible. Thankfully, it was a dish for a small meal and not one of my bigger mains....
Page 4 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics