Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Yom Tov in 10 minutes or less
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 9  10  11  Next

Purple2

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 10:36 am
Scotty wrote:
1. Pulled beef: BEST EVER. line crockpot with tons of sliced onions. Put in brisket or deckel. (Brisket is smoother but more $$, deckel is delicious too.) pour in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, ketchup, spices, some brown sugar or honey (if you don’t have all the above just do some sweet some savory.) put on low overnight. (I do it after seuda for next day, leave crockpot on all YT and wash crock out in between). Tear meat apart with two forks and serve in a big bowl with a (lettuce) salad and potato kugel (or maybe put potatoes in crock alongside). I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t go crazy about this recipe!!!!!

2. Deli roll. Roll out package of flaky dough a little thinner than comes in package. Line with all sorts of deli and mustard. Roll up, egg, bake. This is considered “fancy” around here!!

3. Ra_mom posted an oriental flavored recipe for deckel here years ago that I have made ever since. It has a lot of ingredients but takes >5 minutes if you have all the spices on hand (I googled replacements for some stuff I couldn’t get years ago and it works like a charm.) most forgiving recipe to ever be invented, love it love it. Type deckel in the search bar. I don’t even slice in advance if I don’t have time for it.

4. Another vote for slicing store bought kishka and sliding one slice into a quarter chicken, spicing everything, baking uncovered. We adore this. If you want to be *super* fancy, lay pastrami and kishka on thin cutlets or dark chicken cutlets, roll up with toothpick, smear with duck sauce and bake before seuda. (This is haute cuisine to be saved for extremely fancy occasions in our house.)

5. Apple pie: slice tons of apples and place in bought deep dish flaky dough crust. Sprinkle cinnamon, cover, bake. (We don’t like adding sugar but you might.)

Scotty, for the pulled beef, do you put water in the crock pot too? How long and on what temperature? Thanks!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 12:40 pm
Best easy roast—any cut. Sliced onions in the pan. Meat on top. Add dry onion soup mix on top of meat. Pour ginger ale (not diet) around the meat. You can add salt pepper garlic if you want. Cover tightly. Bake for a few hours. Amazing every time. You can also put baby carrots under and around the meat.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 1:25 pm
Any roasts that I can slice when hot or do they all fall apart?

Simple1

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 1:27 pm
Not sure if it was mentioned, but check out Between Carpools under "the 9x13 life" section.

I like to line the pans with baking paper hoping its healthier than straight aluminum. One day I'll get around to buying real pans.

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 2:08 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Any roasts that I can slice when hot or do they all fall apart?

The only meat I have found not to fall apart when hot is oyster steak.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 2:38 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
The only meat I have found not to fall apart when hot is oyster steak.

Thanks! Is that soft?

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 2:50 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Best easy roast—any cut. Sliced onions in the pan. Meat on top. Add dry onion soup mix on top of meat. Pour ginger ale (not diet) around the meat. You can add salt pepper garlic if you want. Cover tightly. Bake for a few hours. Amazing every time. You can also put baby carrots under and around the meat.

This also works great with Coke/Pepsi/Cola (non-diet), if you don't have ginger ale.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 2:54 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
This also works great with Coke/Pepsi/Cola (non-diet), if you don't have ginger ale.

Can I bake minute steaks this way? Any easy recipes for steaks or flanken?

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 3:25 pm
You can if you want really soft, fall off the bone meat. For steaks and flanken, I would recommend a spice rub, and then bake, either covered or uncovered, but with no liquid. For a spice rub, combine 1/4 C brown sugar, 1T coffee granules, and one t. each salt, rosemary, garlic, pepper, cumin or mustard powder, parsley (or any combination of spices you like). You may need to double or triple depending on how many pieces of meat, but this is the basic recipe proportion wise. I bake covered at 375 until fork pierces easily (will depend on thickness of meat)

tothepoint

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 5:23 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Can I bake minute steaks this way? Any easy recipes for steaks or flanken?

Delicious flanken:
Though it does require searing it first so not sure if it’s in the >10 min category.

Rub salt and pepper and sear both sides til brown. Line pan with parchment. Slice an onion in rings and layer in bottom of pan (I sauté it first, the skillet is anyways outside..) Top with flanken. Rub in a clove of frozen garlic per flanken slice. Dissolve 1 tbs corn starch in 2 cups chicken soup and pour over meat. This is for 2 slices so adjust accordingly. Cover meat with another parchment to trap the flavor/moistness. Cover tightly in aluminum and bake 300f for 4 hours.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 5:26 pm
tothepoint wrote:
Delicious flanken:
Though it does require searing it first so not sure if it’s in the >10 min category.

Rub salt and pepper and sear both sides til brown. Line pan with parchment. Slice an onion in rings and layer in bottom of pan (I sauté it first, the skillet is anyways outside..) Top with flanken. Rub in a clove of frozen garlic per flanken slice. Dissolve 1 tbs corn starch in 2 cups chicken soup and pour over meat. This is for 2 slices so adjust accordingly. Cover meat with another parchment to trap the flavor/moistness. Cover tightly in aluminum and bake 300f for 4 hours.

Does the sauce thicken up from the corn starch?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 9:18 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
You can if you want really soft, fall off the bone meat. For steaks and flanken, I would recommend a spice rub, and then bake, either covered or uncovered, but with no liquid. For a spice rub, combine 1/4 C brown sugar, 1T coffee granules, and one t. each salt, rosemary, garlic, pepper, cumin or mustard powder, parsley (or any combination of spices you like). You may need to double or triple depending on how many pieces of meat, but this is the basic recipe proportion wise. I bake covered at 375 until fork pierces easily (will depend on thickness of meat)

No onions?

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 9:32 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Put chicken cutlets in 9x13 pan (leave room between cutlets)
Pour thousand island dressing over
Cover with breadcrumbs
Turn each piece over and repeat. Scary tops with cooking spray
Bake uncovered on each side for 10-12 minutes

I made the chicken with the thousand island dressing and it was a real hit! Thank you! This is a keeper.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 10:02 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Easy strawberry ice cream pie
Put 2 bags of strawberries in blender with one 16 oz jar of marshmallows fluff.
Whip 16 oz carton of whip.
Gently mix together and freeze.
I think it makes 2 or 3 Graham pie crust.

I made this erev Yom tov, it was amazing. Took seconds to make, and tasted delicious. I added on extra step, I defrosted a container of frozen strawberries in sugar/syrup, blended it with a stick blender, and used that sauce to drizzle on top of each slice when serving. Made an elegant presentation.

So thanks to the amother who posted this!

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 12:46 am
Any gravy recipe to bake a roast in?
I’m the less than 10 minutes category?

amother
White

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:02 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Any gravy recipe to bake a roast in?
I’m the less than 10 minutes category?

2 onions, 1 celery knob, maybe 2 garlic cloves - chopped
Mix with a little oil, salt, pepper

Pour mixture over and under roast.
Bake roast.
Once cool - Then remove roast and blend veggies with pan juices. That’s your gravy.

You can add some chicken stock if needed

love vegetables

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:09 am
Following

hanna2010

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:07 pm
Amother hosta- can I freeze the sesame noodles?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:14 pm
I tasted by someone a delicious sorbet. She said she just blended bought vanilla ice cream together with frozen strawberries, pom juice & confectioners sugar.

scruffy

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:15 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I tasted by someone a delicious sorbet. She said she just blended bought vanilla ice cream together with frozen strawberries, pom juice & confectioners sugar.

My SIL does that. It's really good.

You can decorate with pomegranate seeds too if you want.
Page 5 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics