Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is no body held accountable?!?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:20 pm
Do schools, camps, morahs not need to answer to anybody?!?
Here’s my story - my baby is starting September 2nd when most other sitters are starting the 1st. I’m paying almost $450 for the month of September. I can’t find any sub/drop ins, cuz it’s the first day. After turning the world over (cuz I’m missing sooo much work the whole September cuz of YT, I can not miss another day) my neighbor offered me her cleaning help from 9-3. The charge? $90. I’m doing it cuz I have no choice but I’m so so annoyed with the Morah. I feel like deducting $90 from September tuition. She’s teaching 4-5 days a whole month and she chose to work one less day. And guess who’s complaining besides me? NO ONE!!!! One mother told me she’s not gonna change her mind and she don’t want to start off on the wrong foot. And I don’t really know any other moms! I’m so angry!!! I was repeating this to a few neighbors over Shabbos and here are some stories that came to light
- a sleep away camp that was supposed to end Sunday, decided last min to send the kids hole motzai shab
- school for boys was supposed to end at 3:30 but a bussing issue came up and they are ended 2:25 until further notice
- a whole host of other bus issues with school starting late, ended early. Boys not having English etc.
I’m so confused, if this were my job I’d be FIRED!!!
Is nobody held accountable?!?
This vent comes at the tails of a longgg month with a ton of frustrations..

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:23 pm
Welcome welcome!! Much more to come, so for your own health, calm down about it immediately Smile

Schools work with personal agendas, with nobody held responsible.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:24 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Welcome welcome!! Much more to come, so for your own health, calm down about it immediately Smile

I’ll calm down when it’s not $540 to watch my 2 year old for 5 days (I think 2 are Friday’s)

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ll calm down when it’s not $540 to watch my 2 year old for 5 days (I think 2 are Friday’s)

The older you get, the more normal (aka crazy) you realize it is. And how there’s nothing to do about it. Save your breath.

I’m not minimizing your anger. I have my livid times as well. But I know nothing has changed or ever will.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:25 pm
There is a labor shortage across the country and our frum mosdos are no exception. Local schools are still scrambling for teachers and are having a harder time than usual to fill other positions.

What's driving me crazy is that even the people who are working, seem to not be doing their jobs! Maybe they're stretched thin because there are fewer people manning the fort, but over the last few weeks, items I've ordered missed the delivery deadline, services I hired failed to get done, people whose job it is to pick up phones are simply not picking up phones, and on and on.

I don't know what's going on in this world, but I feel like everything is going haywire.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:27 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
The older you get, the more normal (aka crazy) you realize it is. And how there’s nothing to do about it. Save your breath.

Mmmmmkay!!! Here’s to me quitting my job Cheers
Pls share the following links/numbers
NJ family care
HUD
Food stamps
WIC
And any others you can think of. TIA

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
NJ family care
HUD
Food stamps
WIC

It’s really sad but it’s a reality today...

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:30 pm
It’s less painful if you don’t think about paying by the day. Your just paying tuition divided over 10 months.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:30 pm
Op, I feel you, 100%

I am like that other mom- I’m upset but don’t want to start off on the wrong foot

But boy am I upset

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:31 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

I’m not minimizing your anger. I have my livid times as well. But I know nothing has changed or ever will.

This. I’m broke the month of September because I paid a full months tuition for August daycamp / playgroup even though there were only two weeks. Then I needed to pay a full time babysitter to care for my daughter until playgroup starts in September . So I paid the same amount playgroup cost me for a month and another full tuition for the month of September that barely has school. I work for a non Jewish company so I used up all my PTO on Yom Tov and need to work every Sunday in addition to making Yom Tov for all the time I’m going to be out. It’s challenging. It’s tough. Frustrating and extremely expensive. But it’s the life we lead as working mothers of young children . This is how it’s always been. Accepting the reality will make it easier on you and things will fall into place.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
NJ family care
HUD
Food stamps
WIC

You forgot
HEAP
Coivd rental assistance
Early intervention

can't think of anymore right this minute.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:32 pm
I would be mad also. I am super annoyed about the whole schedule right now. What's up with all these half days? Why in the world can't the kids have a full day of school? It's a million percent wrong. We are expected to work to pay tuition but it's very hard to work when every kid is on a different schedule and nobody has a full day. (I have a few kids on different schools with all different schedules will half days)

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I hear you and it's upsetting but I don't think you're looking at it correctly.

The morah is charging $5400 for the entire year broken into 10 payments of $540. I don't think it's fair to say that she's charging $540 for a few days in September. So for example if you decided to tell the morah that you'll keep your kid home in September and only start in October, I don't think you'd necessarily be able to deduct $540 from the yearly tuition.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:35 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
This. I’m broke the month of September because I paid a full months tuition for August daycamp / playgroup even though there were only two weeks. Then I needed to pay a full time babysitter to care for my daughter until playgroup starts in September . So I paid the same amount playgroup cost me for a month and another full tuition for the month of September that barely has school. I work for a non Jewish company so I used up all my PTO on Yom Tov and need to work every Sunday in addition to making Yom Tov for all the time I’m going to be out. It’s challenging. It’s tough. Frustrating and extremely expensive. But it’s the life we lead as working mothers of young children . This is how it’s always been. Accepting the reality will make it easier on you and things will fall into place.

Nope, first time for me. Been a mom 7+ years ..
it’s the calendar this year plus many shortages as someone else mentioned

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:36 pm
Look, OP. They're doing you a service. No one is being forced to be a morah or a camp. They're providing a service, and they get paid for that service.

I've already had really really stressful jobs, so honestly, no one understands more than I do. You also feel powerless, because you need someone to watch your baby.

Here are your options:
Pay $600-$680 a week for full time help. You pay them when they come, and you don't pay them when they don't. I assume the $540 a month looks a lot better now.

You talk to the teacher kindly and gently, and ask if you can pay a little less this month because you have to pay more for all the extra days, and explain that your job is very demanding.

I'm sure if you bring it up how stressed you are, how much your work is mad for not working, and how you had to scramble and get extra cleaning help, she might take a bit of money off.

Deep breaths. Hashem runs the world. Ask Him to help with your boss, and that he is understanding about the time off you need to raise your children.

Also, um, where's your husband in all this?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:36 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I hear you and it's upsetting but I don't think you're looking at it correctly.

The morah is charging $5400 for the entire year broken into 10 payments of $540. I don't think it's fair to say that she's charging $540 for a few days in September. So for example if you decided to tell the morah that you'll keep your kid home in September and only start in October, I don't think you'd necessarily be able to deduct $540 from the yearly tuition.

The month is $450. Plus $90 I need to pay my neighbors cleaning last to watch the baby on Wednesday the 1st

Simple1

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:37 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
It’s less painful if you don’t think about paying by the day. Your just paying tuition divided over 10 months.

At least they should follow the industry norm and start in sync with the others. OP, did you discuss this with the babysitter?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:37 pm
amother [ Tanzanite ] wrote:
Look, OP. They're doing you a service. No one is being forced to be a morah or a camp. They're providing a service, and they get paid for that service.

I've already had really really stressful jobs, so honestly, no one understands more than I do. You also feel powerless, because you need someone to watch your baby.

Here are your options:
Pay $600-$680 a week for full time help. You pay them when they come, and you don't pay them when they don't. I assume the $540 a month looks a lot better now.

You talk to the teacher kindly and gently, and ask if you can pay a little less this month because you have to pay more for all the extra days, and explain that your job is very demanding.

I'm sure if you bring it up how stressed you are, how much your work is mad for not working, and how you had to scramble and get extra cleaning help, she might take a bit of money off.

Deep breaths. Hashem runs the world. Ask Him to help with your boss, and that he is understanding about the time off you need to raise your children.

Also, um, where's your husband in all this?

RESIDENCY Covid-19 Covid-19

ETA: if DH is on call In the ER and the Morah comes in maybe he’ll conveniently take off that day.
Jk, it’s elul I should really calm down

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:38 pm
Simple1 wrote:
At least they should follow the industry norm and start in sync with the others. OP, did you discuss this with the babysitter?

Texted and got ignored

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:41 pm
Op you are paying 4,500$ ? You are getting a bargain! That’s a great deal.
Good luck
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics