Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is no body held accountable?!?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:43 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I hear you and it's upsetting but I don't think you're looking at it correctly.

The morah is charging $5400 for the entire year broken into 10 payments of $540. I don't think it's fair to say that she's charging $540 for a few days in September. So for example if you decided to tell the morah that you'll keep your kid home in September and only start in October, I don't think you'd necessarily be able to deduct $540 from the yearly tuition.

I actually know someone who did that one year. Started her kids in October, didn't pay the first month's tuition. So in some places, at least, this is actually the way to look at it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:46 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
Op you are paying 4,500$ ? You are getting a bargain! That’s a great deal.
Good luck

Don’t worry, it’s a short day. Don’t wanna give too many identifying details but it’s part time

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Don’t worry, it’s a short day. Don’t wanna give too many identifying details but it’s part time

Even for part time that’s a great deal!
Understand that you are paying a yearly rate for a service. It’s not 450$ per month. It’s just the yearly rate divided up into 10 checks. Trust me, playgroup Morah’s aren’t making the big bucks.
But as a working mom this is definitely stressful.
Good luck

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:52 pm
Even for part time that’s a great deal!
Understand that you are paying a yearly rate for a service. It’s not 450$ per month. It’s just the yearly rate divided up into 10 checks. Trust me, playgroup Morah’s aren’t making the big bucks.
But as a working mom this is definitely stressful.
Good luck

$54,000 for 10 months, part time on a school schedule?! Sounds amazing to me!!!
(Id consider if if I liked watching other people’s kids!!)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:53 pm
This started out as a vent but not I’m just getting defensive and more annoyed. Bye for now ...

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Huh? That’s after all supplies are accounted for. An assistant is paid ( if there is one) Watching 10, 2 year olds is really really draining on a physical and emotional level.
A little bit of appreciation would go a long way.
( I’m not a Morah btw) That’s not a lot of $$ at all.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:54 pm
Totally frustrating. Last year my daughter’s day camp charged the full amount, even though they started a week late (bec of Covid restrictions), citing added expenses due to Covid precautions. They didn’t even provide soap in the bathrooms 🙄 They took full advantage and cut out very exciting things that other camps somehow managed to work out. It’s obnoxious and they do it simply because they can. If you don’t like it, you can walk. That’s their attitude. I’m not sure where you live, but there are daycares that cater to working moms and don’t have random days off. When I was working more hours I found it was worth the extra money not to have to worry about random off days like these.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:56 pm
Don’t you worry.
Before you know it, she’ll be having school every available minute....
.....When she’s in high school and you need her help.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:56 pm
Huh? That’s after all supplies are accounted for. An assistant is paid ( if there is one) Watching 10, 2 year olds is really really draining on a physical and emotional level.
A little bit of appreciation would go a long way.
( I’m not a Morah btw) That’s not a lot of $$ at all.

No assistant. I’m super appreciate, give tips and treat the morahs well. But it’s a 2 way street.. if she’s taking advantage and not treating the parents well...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:57 pm
For real, bye. Need to quit my job and apply for programs..

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No assistant. I’m super appreciate, give tips and treat the morahs well. But it’s a 2 way street.. if she’s taking advantage and not treating the parents well...

If she is by herself taking care of 10- 2 year olds then she must be exhausted and super woman!
I can barely take care of my one 2 year old lol.
Starting a day late is NOT considered taking advantage of the parents.
If you send to playgroup ( which is much cheaper, yet is part time and on a school schedule) then you need to accept the full package deal.
If you need full coverage as a working mother you can send to a full time day care or hire a nanny.

I get your frustration, I really do but realize you are being unfair to the Morah.
She isn’t responsible for your working schedule.
Good luck and I really hope that the schedule works out for you throughout the year:)

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That’s great that you are so appreciative and tip. I sure it’s much appreciated!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:21 pm
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
There is a labor shortage across the country and our frum mosdos are no exception. Local schools are still scrambling for teachers and are having a harder time than usual to fill other positions.

What's driving me crazy is that even the people who are working, seem to not be doing their jobs! Maybe they're stretched thin because there are fewer people manning the fort, but over the last few weeks, items I've ordered missed the delivery deadline, services I hired failed to get done, people whose job it is to pick up phones are simply not picking up phones, and on and on.

I don't know what's going on in this world, but I feel like everything is going haywire.

This!!

I work in whats usually a 3 person office, for the past couple months I'm the only one there. The other two workers left and we can't find anyone. So yes, the phones go unanswered because it's not physically possible for me to answer all the calls.

My boss gets upset at me for not answering the calls, but then he tells me to stop taking orders, because he can't hire warehouse workers or delivery guys either, so even if I would answer all the calls, we can't service everyone anyhow. It's an impossible situation.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 6:25 am
delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

imasinger

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 6:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I understand you're upset, but would it help if you recalculated? This is off by a factor of 10. $540 a month is $5,400 for 10 months.

Unless you're saying she's watching ten children. In which case, keep in mind that this is gross income, which gets adjusted for taxes, expenses, and more.

In a regular month, that comes to under $6 an hour. So, if over the year, there are a number of days off for the chagim, that maybe would raise it to between $7 and $8 an hour. Where I live, childcare is way more expensive. But regardless, I have yet to meet a childcare professional who's raking it in living the high life. It tends to be a challenging job.

Hatzlacha, and breathe.

Keep in mind that it's almost RH, and the less we look to blame others and the more we focus on our own accountability, the greater the chance the next year can improve in some important way.

May you find the parnassa you need.

Last edited by imasinger on Mon, Aug 30 2021, 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 6:55 am
Tbh most places where I live charge 600 at least for those half days. Full time ranges between 780-1000

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:51 am
You chose to send to this morah so you knew the schedule, no? Playgroup morahs are self-employed and get to set a schedule that works for them. It’s inevitable that their schedule will be different than yours. There will probably be more gaps than just this one, so you should try to find a drop-in babysitter to use during those times. My community has a few babysitters who allow drop-ins. Or you can try to find a post-seminary girl who’s working on her degree and might have some availability. I had some very stressful times with childcare when my children were younger, so I know how hard it can be. Making potential backup plans in advance is crucial.

This September is going to be intense for all of us working moms this year! Hang in there op!

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:52 am
The preschool in my city is starting a whole week late, no tuition reduction offered. I get you.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 12:18 pm
If you send to a ‘real’playgroup they are on a normal schedule. But it’s like $1000/month.
Unfortunately we are getting the cheaper option when not sending to legal places snd everything that comes with it.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 12:28 pm
Where I live there are multiple layers of oversight when you get to Elementary school and high school. The schools are good about working with parents but if your not happy with a policy you can go to the vaad hachinuch or to the agency that supervises all the schools and discuss your concerns. I did that when I had some very negative experiences with one of my kids and things improved a lot.

The home based playgroups are private businesses that can do what they want. Most here don't they go by the school schedule of their choice. There are school based early childhood programs and a JCC that work better for some people so you can do that if you want. Where I live people wont send to you if you deviate too far from the schedules of the local schools.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics