Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Did I Ruin Her First Day?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:11 am
Disclaimer: I'm normally an even keeled mom.
It started with the tights. We went up a size, and she was shlepping all morning. It's thick cotton ribbed, and she was used to the thin Lycra.
Breakfast was a cream cheese sandwich..she gets breakfast in school, I just wanted to make sure she gets done food in her. And she kept shlepping her tights. With her dirty cream cheesy hand. On her brand new uniform. By the time we got to the bus stop I lost it. My other daughter told me, ma, your a witch today.....
I then cleaned her off with her water bottle and fixed her tights too, and she looked calm. Don't remember if I said anything to make her feel better... She normally turns back and waves and blows kisses when she gets on the bus, but she ignored me today.

I feel horrible. I have a pit in my stomach. I'm holding back tears all morning.

This is really just a vent, cuz I'm too embarrassed to share this to a friend in real life.

I did share with my husband, he was like don't let it ruin your day, you'll apologize when she gets home, etc... I felt so horrible, that I snapped at him too- I told him his new pants look horrible:(

What's wrong with me???????

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:13 am
On the first day of school, I'm so nervous and anxious for my kids that I tell myself all morning to stay calm.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:18 am
I just realized I forgot to take that first day pic too. Can't Believe It

Oyyy.... Can you tell I'm in my third trimester????? Banging head

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just realized I forgot to take that first day pic too. Can't Believe It

Oyyy.... Can you tell I'm in my third trimester????? Banging head

I forgot a picture too and I'm not in any trimester. LOL You'll take one when she gets home, or tomorrow morning when she's nice and neat and you're both much calmer. Give yourself a break. First days are stressful, especially waiting for a bus, getting more than one kid out... it's not easy. You didn't have the best morning, so make it a good evening and move on.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:33 am
You ruined her first morning. You probably did not ruin her entire day, and you certainly didn't ruin her life.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:38 am
I was always so excited for DD's first day of school at each grade. DD was like "Mom, just take the picture. The bus is coming."

Starting in 1st grade, it was all I could do to get her to stop rolling her eyes for the amount of time it took me to snap the shutter! Rolling Eyes

OP, don't worry. Just apologize, and try to let go of the little things. Being a fuss-budget is not worth your DD's happiness and confidence.

Hang in there!

B'sha'a tova!

(BTW, baggy tights is a totally legitimate complaint. I don't blame her one bit.)

Zehava

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:58 am
It happens. Apologize and try to do better next time.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 12:13 pm
Can she eat breakfast in her pajamas next time? This way you don't worry about her messing up her clothes.

Also - I find that tights tend to shrink in the wash. If hers are a little shleppy on her, consider running them all thru a load, so they fit her better.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 12:15 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Can she eat breakfast in her pajamas next time? This way you don't worry about her messing up her clothes.

The point is, they get breakfast in school, so whatever I give is a bonus. Our mornings are a tad rushed, so if I do give food they end up munching on it on the way to the bus........

LittleMissMama

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 12:17 pm
Do the picture after school - it's still the first day even in the afternoon!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics