Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Fondant Help

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 7:40 pm
Hi,

I want to start decorating cookies with fondant. Some questions:

1. Does fondant actually taste good on cookies? Or is it better to stick with royal icing? (I never eat any of this stuff, so honestly no idea...)

2. Homemade or store bought, pros and cons, places to buy...

3. Any other tips?

Thanks!

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 9:38 am
Easiest method is to buy already rolled royal icing. You use a cookie cutter to cut it to the right size/shape and, using a bit of apricot jelly, stick it to the cookie. That will give a flat surface. If you want to make more detail or 3D images, fondant is better to work with imo. You should be able to buy fondant in different colors as well.
Are you trying to make something specific?
What always looks nice and isn't so difficult is piping buttercream frosting, but that works better for cupcakes than cookies.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 9:53 am
Fondant doesn't taste so good, but neither does royal icing IMO. If you are using either on a cookie, it will be more for display than for eating, though of course they are edible. But they definitely look better than they taste.

For fondant, store bought for sure. Even experienced bakers tend to use store-bought, especially if you want deep colors. It's much easier to buy ready made black fondant, for instance, than to try and get white and color it black.

I think fondant (on cookies) is also more beginner friendly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics