Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Am I wrong? This was rejected…
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 10:09 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
So the kids do have access. I'm sorry, but that's not safe. Too easy for kids to mix up doses, take the wrong ones by accident etc. What if they leave the door/drawer open by mistake and a younger siblings accesses it?
You may want to rethink this, the more you describe your method, the less safe it sounds:(

This never happened in the years I’m doing this. I also have a pool with a lock and those same kids know the code and they check the filters while we get the little ones in bathing suits. And btw overdosing on amoxicillin causes upset stomach and disarreah. I also said fridge should have a lock. BTW, where do you keep your car keys? Bc they should be locked. Seems like kids can have access to that… also hot water from the bath…? When a kid goes to the bathroom they might just turn on boiling water and plop them selves in the tub. If adhd was hindering my ability to give kids medicine on time, it was worth it for me to have this method done in a safe way. Shabbos matches /lighter… curious (is your locked? Hidden on a shelf is not enough , bc I’m sure a kid could climb and use it when your in the bathroom)

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 10:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This never happened in the years I’m doing this. I also have a pool with a lock and those same kids know the code and they check the filters while we get the little ones in bathing suits. And btw overdosing on amoxicillin causes upset stomach and disarreah. I also said fridge should have a lock. BTW, where do you keep your car keys? Bc they should be locked. Seems like kids can have access to that… also hot water from the bath…? When a kid goes to the bathroom they might just turn on boiling water and plop them selves in the tub. If adhd was hindering my ability to give kids medicine on time, it was worth it for me to have this method done in a safe way. Shabbos matches /lighter… curious (is your locked? Hidden on a shelf is not enough , bc I’m sure a kid could climb and use it when your in the bathroom)

OP, you don't need to be so defensive. Your idea is a very good one - but it can't work for everyone. And depending how the household is run, it can cause safety concerns. A magazine has to consider all of its readers and can't post anything that has even a hint of a safety issue associated with it.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 10:14 pm
Can you please post a link to these medicine syringes?

(Your idea is brilliant BTW, but risky if you don't have a way to store it in a locked container. I would buy the syringes just to have on hand as I'm always loosing the ones I have or the ink runs off of them so I can't measure properly.)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 10:24 pm
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
OP, you don't need to be so defensive. Your idea is a very good one - but it can't work for everyone. And depending how the household is run, it can cause safety concerns. A magazine has to consider all of its readers and can't post anything that has even a hint of a safety issue associated with it.

Sorry if I come off this way, I wasn’t defensive of my method bc if you look at most of what I posted I kept writing I know it’s not for everyone. I did get hurt when someone claimed I’m playing games and said “oh ! So your kids do have access….!” So I felt like it was something against me - which stings as opposed to a neutral comment about a routine I created for myself. Meaning , by all means critique the method not the person. I repeated so many times that I knowww most people work differently.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 10:29 pm
The one I use is out of stock but here’s a very similar one (10 ml) you can find with 5 ml or even less (with covers)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....98615

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:26 pm
I actually wish the medicine came pre-measured in individual little sealed straws. The syringes sound good but too drippy for me.
When things are measured and ready to go, I am more consistent. You're on the right track OP and I can see why it works for you!

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:26 pm
I will be a dissenting voice and say that I love this idea. I have ADHD and these types of hacks are golden for me. If I decided to do it, I would put it in a locked drawer or mini fridge. I'm sorry you were rejected for this idea, even if we now have an idea of why, rejection still stinks! (especially for those of us w ADHD- look up rejection sensitive dysphoria). Personally, I would love if you could start a thread w life hacks for ADHD moms, cuz I feel like if you have this one, you might have some more up your sleeve. So, even if some others were coming across strongly- I'm sending you love and thanks for this one.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:38 pm
My kids have free access to the fridge as we don’t keep any junk in there but this idea is amazing! One time when my oldest was a baby the doctors office gave me 4-5 prefilled capped syringes to have doses until the pharmacy opened and it was great.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 12:18 am
Thanks ! Yes I would love ideas too , I worked hard on my adhd with lists and timers but I still have ups and downs when it comes to managing so much…. Would love to get hacks and support from other moms Smile

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 12:18 am
I think your idea is GENIUS.
The problem will be - the anti-antibiotics mafia will be foaming at the mouth already simply because you said "I give my kids antibiotics"
Then they will feel the need to educate the world about the dangers of a little kid playing "drugstore" and accidentally taking a dose.
Personally I'd be nervous to have older kids give themselves a dose (until they're really older, like 12 or so, in which case they're probably taking pills. Even then, I have kids I'd trust with it, and kids I would not trust to take care of it, simply because they're not as organized and need reminders for things)
But to premeasure all doses into syringes? That's a great idea! I think I'll try that the next time.
I have a child with a chronic health condition that requires a lot of pills - both supplements and medication, and when the delivery comes from the pharmacy, I immediately sort all medications into pill organizers. That way, it's easy for the kid to take their medicine in the morning and night. No mistakes due to time pressure.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:41 am
Op I think your idea is brilliant. I too have a hard time remembering to give medication, even when it is for myself. Antibiotics often fizzle out to once a day then stops fully too early. For my bc pill I have an alarm on my phone that I keep on snooze till I take it. It's also those extra steps of finding a syringe, measuring, then wiping the sticky mess, makes it easier to want to push off then we forget. If I keep it on the top shelf in the fridge little kids wont be able to reach.

I've started only buying chewable or melting tablets for pain medication which the kids can take themselves, I even gasp send a pack to school with my child who often gets headaches so she can take medicine straight away before it turns into a full blown migraine. My child with hayfever keeps a pack of meds by his bed so he will remember to take when he wakes up. And my kids who suffer from travel sickness take chewable dramamine on school trips and to camp. Ive done this for years and never had problems, and I dont consider my kids particularly more mature and responsible than other kids.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:12 am
OP, I love your idea, and I think it's a great hack. I also think you've thought it through well.

Unfortunately the world is full of idiots, and you carry the burden of protecting them from themselves (and their poor kids, too.)

In a world where we need warnings like "Keep out of fire. Item may become hot." there's just no place for seichel anymore.

To cheer you up, read warning labels that have been badly translated by Google. One of my favorites is on a set of steak knives. "Knives are sharp, keep out of children." Surprised

https://hitraveltales.com/lost.....igns/
https://www.rd.com/list/funny-warning-labels/
https://www.forbes.com/2011/02.....b54fc

imasinger

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 6:35 am
I also love your idea, and will pass it along to my young marrieds.

I think if a) you changed your piece to include an interview with a hospital nurse who could share how commonly this is done in hospitals, b) included information about where to get a childproof/locked container for storage, and c) took out anything about children administering doses for themselves, you'd have a greater chance at acceptance.

Any writer will tell you that you need to be persistent. You can submit it elsewhere if you don't want to go back to the first place.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 7:19 am
Debsey/F.Frummy Thanks for the positive feedback! Ya the warning labels on some stuff…. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Imasinger - I wish I could do that , I can see why such an article would be more trustworthy when there’s medical people interviewed. Unfortunately I can hardly get thru my pile of mail and my suitcase from a trip we took last month is still open in my closet waiting to be put away. I’m not lazy , I just find some things so overwhelming!

The chewables are genius! They do chewable Tylenol at my kids school but sending it with your kid sounds so smart…. Happy your giving her a way to help herself.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 8:19 am
imasinger wrote:
I also love your idea, and will pass it along to my young marrieds.

I think if a) you changed your piece to include an interview with a hospital nurse who could share how commonly this is done in hospitals, b) included information about where to get a childproof/locked container for storage, and c) took out anything about children administering doses for themselves, you'd have a greater chance at acceptance.

Any writer will tell you that you need to be persistent. You can submit it elsewhere if you don't want to go back to the first place.

In hospitals all prescriptions are under lock and key (with narcotics under double locks), and have multiple steps of security in place - such as scanning bar codes multiples times before administration, secured with passwords access, and more. A hospital setting is not comparative to a home environment.

This doesn't take away anything that the OP's idea is a really good one for some.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 8:46 am
I wouldn't do this with meds in my fridge, but considering it for my daughter's allergy meds that we keep on a very high up shelf

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 9:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks ! Yes I would love ideas too , I worked hard on my adhd with lists and timers but I still have ups and downs when it comes to managing so much…. Would love to get hacks and support from other moms Smile

I'm all for it too!

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 9:38 pm
This is so crazy, I just read this idea somewhere!!! Like in the past week, and I was thinking, this is genius!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:11 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
This is so crazy, I just read this idea somewhere!!! Like in the past week, and I was thinking, this is genius!!

Really?! So cool!

Stars

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:16 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I wouldn't do this with meds in my fridge, but considering it for my daughter's allergy meds that we keep on a very high up shelf

This is a great idea especially if her reactions are bad, but remember to write the expiration date on the syringe.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics