Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What time do you wake up Rosh Hashana?
1  2  Next

What time do your family wake up Rosh Hashana
Whenever we naturally wake up  
 64%  [ 59 ]
When we wake up the first time, do not go back to sleep no matter the time  
 9%  [ 9 ]
Adults wake up at the elos and children whenever  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Adults and children up 12/13 at the elos, younger children whenever  
 5%  [ 5 ]
Adults and all children ages 2 and up at the elos  
 2%  [ 2 ]
DH and boys the elos, me and girls whenever  
 5%  [ 5 ]
Other  
 9%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 92

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 12:26 pm
What time does your family wake up on Rosh Hashana?

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 12:43 pm
I've never heard of any of this. My husband has his alarm for shachris and I wake up when the kids wake up. I've never heard of anyone doing otherwise.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 12:47 pm
Not sure what your question means, but we daven vatikin on RH so all wake up before sunrise, I let my teen-tween girls sleep in until kriat hatorah - generally, so they should be in shul by 8-ish.
Is it a thing to wake up early on RH, I mean besides shul?

mfb

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 12:47 pm
In time for our shacharis minyan

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:00 pm
My husband is naturally an early riser, so he gets up in time for Shacharis and wakes up the boys and my teenage daughter who likes to go to shul on time. My other daughter and I take it a little slower and go to shul later. I am usually exhausted from Yom Tov prep, especially the first night, but do try to get to shul in time to catch up before shofer.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:08 pm
What is elos?

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:10 pm
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
What is elos?

Alos hashachar, AKA dawn. It took me a minute to interpret 'the elos' too but I guess people talk about it like that.

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:17 pm
Don't most people wake up on time to go to shul? Whether it's Alos (vasikin, Neitz) or regular time I never heard of people waking up whenever on Rosh Hashana. Of course I'm not talking about mothers who are home with little kids. But those of us who can go to shul, Rosh Hashana is definitely the day to get there on time.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:19 pm
Ah, Alot Hashachar.
Thank you. I speak a different language.

Don’t people wake up (set an alarm) so that they can get up in time to go to shul?
Why is the choice either dawn or sleep in until 11 (as I would intrinsically do).

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:26 pm
What a strange poll.
Why don’t you just do what works for you? What does it matter what goes on in other peoples homes??
Some people have little kids, some have no kids, some women here are in their 20’s and some are in their 60’s. Some people are shul goers and want to be there as much as possible, some rather stay home and don’t enjoy shul.
You have to be okay with your life. If you have a specific problem or if someone is pressuring you then ask away for advice but it doesn’t really matter what other people do.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:32 pm
Where is the option for dh and older boys get up in time for shachris. The rest of us, whenever we wake up. Is shachris the same as elos?

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:36 pm
My husband wakes up an hoir before neitz every day of the year. I wake up my normal time and then get the kids up. We aim to get to shul by leining at the latest. My husband goes to a different minyan so he beats us all home.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:36 pm
It’s called “Alos” …

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:23 pm
There is a minhag not to sleep during the day on Rosh HaShana. Most people interpret this as avoiding an afternoon nap, especially on the first day. Maybe the OP understands that all daytime sleep should be avoided, thus the focus on waking up by Alot HaShachar.

We go to a vatikin minyan, so anyone going to shul sets an alarm for about 5:00am. I'll also try to get up then to daven shacharit before little children wake up. There is no reason to mess up the children's schedules, and they wake up when they have had enough sleep.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:46 pm
Elfrida wrote:
There is a minhag not to sleep during the day on Rosh HaShana. Most people interpret this as avoiding an afternoon nap, especially on the first day. Maybe the OP understands that all daytime sleep should be avoided, thus the focus on waking up by Alot HaShachar.

We go to a vatikin minyan, so anyone going to shul sets an alarm for about 5:00am. I'll also try to get up then to daven shacharit before little children wake up. There is no reason to mess up the children's schedules, and they wake up when they have had enough sleep.

There is also a minhag to wake up before the elos. Some people actually believe the no sleeping is for the first half of the day and allow people to nap after chatzos and some are makpid not to.

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 11:03 pm
We get up on time for shul. 7:00 is brachos, karbonos, etc, 7:45 Baruch she'amar.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 11:21 pm
I never understood why we only cater to the early birds and not the night owls?
so someone enjoys sleeping late? is that such a crime?
so someone doesnt enjoy going to shul? and instead prefers to daven at home?
or even if someone doesnt like geting dressed up?do you have to get all dressed up every shabbos and yom tov? whats wrong with a nice robe and comfortable socks?

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 11:31 pm
My husband is very makpid to be up before day on Rosh Hashana, so as not to "Farshluf his Mishpat" and would rather cat nap in the afternoon, since he holds that first half of the day is the real thing.
He doesnt make the boys or the rest of us do it yet.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:32 am
Very early, little kids are wonderful alarm clocks!

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:51 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I never understood why we only cater to the early birds and not the night owls?
so someone enjoys sleeping late? is that such a crime?
so someone doesnt enjoy going to shul? and instead prefers to daven at home?
or even if someone doesnt like geting dressed up?do you have to get all dressed up every shabbos and yom tov? whats wrong with a nice robe and comfortable socks?

Because in each of your examples there is a halachik guideline that we adhere too, not just preference.

There are zmanim for tefilla that are considered ideal and zmanim that are acceptable and zmanim that are borderline, and if you sleep in too much you've missed certain zmanim. If you happen to be man with chiyuvim, that's a real problem. You can't chalk it up to being a night owl.

Davening with a minyan is a halachik issue (certainly for mincha and shachris). It's even brought down that a woman, theoretically/ideally should daven with a minyan but is of course exempt from obligation (in Rev Kanievsky's biography it mentions that she was makbid). Halacha doesn't allow for a man who prefers to daven at home, lchatchilla.

And in terms of shabbos clothes...there's, again, a halachik inyan of having special clothing for shabbos. So if your robe and comfy socks are presentable and set aside for shabbos, you're good.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur