Home

Modifying this Sweet and Sour Salmon recipe?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 2:23 pm
How do I modify this Sweet and Sour Salmon recipe (replacing the vinegar)?

INGREDIENTS
2 5-ounce salmon steaks (or fillets)
3/4 cup sugar
2 large onions, sliced into rings
1 teaspoon pickling spice
3/4 cup vinegar
2-3 bay leaves
Salt and black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
Place onion slices and sugar in pot over medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes, or until onions are soft, stirring occasionally.

Add water, vinegar, bay leaves, pickling spice, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

Place steaks into pot, reduce heat and cook on medium flame for 20 minutes.

Turn off heat, remove pot from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to fridge. Serve cold.

Steaks will stay fresh in the fridge for at least three days.

Anon cuz everyone knows its the recipe I love.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 2:29 pm
Lemon juice
Back to top

BrisketBoss




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 2:39 pm
Sweet and sour doesn't really work when you're avoiding sour. I'm sure this recipe is delicious but every salmon recipe I've tried is delicious. Maybe use a different one for Rosh Hashana?
Back to top

my_sunshine




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 2:45 pm
I have an almost exact same recipe (I think it's 1/2 cup each instead of 3/4 cup, and 1/2 tsp. pickling spice) using lemon juice instead of vinegar and it's absolutely delicious.
Back to top

realsilver




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 2:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I modify this Sweet and Sour Salmon recipe (replacing the vinegar)?

INGREDIENTS
2 5-ounce salmon steaks (or fillets)
3/4 cup sugar
2 large onions, sliced into rings
1 teaspoon pickling spice
3/4 cup vinegar
2-3 bay leaves
Salt and black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
Place onion slices and sugar in pot over medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes, or until onions are soft, stirring occasionally.

Add water, vinegar, bay leaves, pickling spice, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

Place steaks into pot, reduce heat and cook on medium flame for 20 minutes.

Turn off heat, remove pot from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to fridge. Serve cold.

Steaks will stay fresh in the fridge for at least three days.

Anon cuz everyone knows its the recipe I love.


I use lemon juice with literally this exact recipe
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:10 pm
if I want to use real lemons, how many average size lemons would I juice?
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:23 pm
2-3 tbsp per lemon. 4 lemons should be fine
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:27 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Lemon juice


Also not good to use for RH. SAME REASON.
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:28 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Also not good to use for RH. SAME REASON.

I guess you have different minhagim than most
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:29 pm
I have a really good recipe for salmon, and it's so easy!

Cover salmon filets with honey, and top with pieces of green onion and whole mushrooms. If you can find wild honey, it will give a lovely depth of flavor and caramelization. If you can't find it, add a few tablespoons of silan. You want the flavor to be complex, not overly sweet. (You can even put it under the broiler for a minute, but watch it closely.)

Bake until the thickest part is still a little pink inside. It will keep cooking for a few minutes when you take it out.

The honey is a humectant, and will lock in all of the moisture so that your salmon never goes dry (very important if you are using frozen salmon.) I call it "idiot-proof"!
Back to top

scruffy




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 7:13 pm
You can also substitute the vinegar with dry white wine.
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 7:14 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I guess you have different minhagim than most


How could you know what MOST do? Took a poll? The minhag is very sour or bitter shouldn’t be used. Simanim on RH are a strong influence on the rest of the year.
Back to top

scruffy




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 7:16 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
How could you know what MOST do? Took a poll? The minhag is very sour or bitter shouldn’t be used. Simanim on RH are a strong influence on the rest of the year.


Not sure if this is accurate, but I heard once that some Sephardim don't use lemon juice.

I never heard about Ashkenazim not using lemon juice (just no vinegar)
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:23 pm
scruffy wrote:
Not sure if this is accurate, but I heard once that some Sephardim don't use lemon juice.

I never heard about Ashkenazim not using lemon juice (just no vinegar)


Thats sounds right. Im Ashkenazi and I never heard of not using lemon juice on R"H.
Back to top

amother




Bellflower
 

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:33 pm
And I'm Ashkenazi and we use vinegar, but not so that the taste is prominent. So I'll make a salad dressing with it for balance as long as it's not vinegary/tart. And no cucumber salad.

In this recipe, you're looking for the flavor so I'll do lemon juice because it reads more bright than sour here.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur

Related Topics Replies Last Post
ISO recipe for Edible play dough without cream of tarter
by amother
3 Yesterday at 7:18 pm View last post
Urgent need recipe for beef stew with spaghetti
by amother
0 Yesterday at 5:04 pm View last post
Please share a Good sugar cookie dough recipe
by amother
3 Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:41 am View last post
Easy healthy ground meat recipe 13 Sun, Oct 10 2021, 10:18 pm View last post
KOSHER RECIPE GROUPS on WhatsApp
by amother
6 Thu, Oct 07 2021, 9:33 pm View last post