Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Pushing services on preschoolers

straightalk

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:55 pm
My three year old started nursery less than a week ago. I already got a phone call from the principle that she thinks my daughter needs services. My daughter is a bright, communicative and above average child. So the issues were that she isn't able to stop arts and crafts when the teacher wants and she didn't know where her classroom was and wandered into another class without realizing she was in the wrong classroom. My daughter wasn't in playgroup last year so this is her first experience in school. She had three days of school so far. Can I understand why schools push services and make problems when there isn't? Is there money to be made by the schools?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:07 pm
Just ignore the phone calls. Schools are pushing services on every child and making up a diagnosis so they can get more money from the government.
It's too early in the school year to know that she needs services, it doesn't make sense. Just ignore.

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:31 pm
It’s a way to get an extra pair of hands in the classroom
Even if it’s for 1 hr a week
If there is 5 kids that’s 5 hrs

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:36 pm
Totally ignore. When I took my 4 year old to his nursery orientation they gave us stickers to put on him all week that said his room number so the kids and moros know who goes where. I thought it was genius. No kid wants to stop a fun activity. Its the teachers job to teach them to transition to the next task. Not a therapist.

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:51 pm
It's too early for them to tell you she needs services. Usually the morahs can see right away who needs but they have to give the kid a chance to settle in. With that being said, your child is going to have to learn to transition. It will be a problem if she doesn't. And wandering? That's a big no-no . That's a danger issue and a morah has to have eyes on the whole class, not just your child all the time. Your child can be very bright, but still has to be functional in school.

chaya678

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:54 pm
She sounds fine. Wandering can be dangerous but it just sounds like the teacher needs to keep an eye on her. She shouldn’t have to know where her classroom is on the 3rd day of school.

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:58 pm
How does a 3 year old wander in the first place? Doesn't an adult drop her off into the classroom? Something not adding up.

straightalk

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:22 pm
octopus wrote:
How does a 3 year old wander in the first place? Doesn't an adult drop her off into the classroom? Something not adding up.

I know!!!! My daughter can wander to the street! I asked her now and she told me she liked the toys in the other classroom so she walked in. It most likely was on the way to her class in morn and she wasn't supervised.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:07 pm
There is no point at which a three year old should be unsupervised on her way to class in the morning. Do you just drop her off outside? Who do you hand her off to?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:12 pm
I have two kids with mild issues who receive services. Honestly, your principal sounds ridiculous.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:22 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
There is no point at which a three year old should be unsupervised on her way to class in the morning. Do you just drop her off outside? Who do you hand her off to?

Exactly. This bothers me more than anything else on this thread. A nursery child should not be left to find her classroom on her own.

My dd started nursery yesterday. Before 9:00 (when the buses are coming) there are morahs outside bringing the kids directly to the classroom. I drop her off myself, so if it's after 9:00 and the morahs are inside, then I bring her directly to her classroom

straightalk

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 11:21 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Exactly. This bothers me more than anything else on this thread. A nursery child should not be left to find her classroom on her own.

My dd started nursery yesterday. Before 9:00 (when the buses are coming) there are morahs outside bringing the kids directly to the classroom. I drop her off myself, so if it's after 9:00 and the morahs are inside, then I bring her directly to her classroom

I absolutely agree! I am horrified. She goes with the bus in the morning
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers