Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Israeli accent on name shira
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:21 pm
Would Israelis say shiRA or SHIra? Any idea?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:29 pm
Ten, twenty years ago, everyone would say SHIra.

Today, the more popular form is shiRA, just like the noun 'song'.

I personally prefer the former, it's more melodic to my ear, and doesn't take so much effort. But I know the second form is considered more modern.

Also depends on your circles - in Torani/DL circles, for girls under the age of 25, the second version is much much more common.

IME people very often ask how it is pronounced and just go with what you say.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:33 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

I personally prefer the former, it's more melodic to my ear, and doesn't take so much effort. But I know the second form is considered more modern.

Also depends on your circles - in Torani/DL circles, for girls under the age of 25, the second version is much much more common.

THIS. Accent on the last syllable is the most popular in Torani/Dati circles. Sephardim prefer the accent at the end, as well. In Yeshivish circles, it's more common to hear the accent on the first syllable.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 5:57 pm
I know an Israeli Ashira with the accent on the second syllable. Ah- SHE-ra

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 6:04 pm
In Israel the accent is always on the last syllable In america it is on the first one.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 6:05 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
I know an Israeli Ashira with the accent on the second syllable. Ah- SHE-ra

Ashira is a totally different name. (I actually don't know anyone with that name).

Shira is one of the most popular, common names here the past decade. As I said above, usually the emphasis today is on The last syllable.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 6:07 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
In Israel the accent is always on the last syllable In america it is on the first one.

Not always. However, I agree that usually younger Shiras go with the last syllable emphasis.

I know a few Israeli older Shiras and their name is pronounced with a first syllable emphasis.

You have to keep in mind local culture too, it varies from place to place. Sometimes no matter what your intentions are for the pronunciation of your kid's name, their friends will change it.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:24 pm

Shira is one of the most popular, common names here the past decade. As I said above, usually the emphasis today is on The last syllable.

That totally changes שירה שרה שיר שמח

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 2:40 am
Not always. However, I agree that usually younger Shiras go with the last syllable emphasis.

I know a few Israeli older Shiras and their name is pronounced with a first syllable emphasis.

You have to keep in mind local culture too, it varies from place to place. Sometimes no matter what your intentions are for the pronunciation of your kid's name, their friends will change it.
I am yet to hear a name with the first syllable being emphasized.

But yes to friends changing your kids name. I have a friend who named her kid aYAla but they are in israel, so she is called ayaLA Smile

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:21 am
we live in israel and consider ourselves chareidi.
my daughter's name is shira and her friends would put the emphasis on the first syllable.
even the teimani/morrocan ones.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:47 am
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
we live in israel and consider ourselves chareidi.
my daughter's name is shira and her friends would put the emphasis on the first syllable.
even the teimani/morrocan ones.

We're in the same circles and all Shiras here have an accent on the first syllable.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 5:59 am
My Sephardi Israeli neighbors put the emphasis on the second syllable for most names
SaRA
AyaLA
AhuVA
YaEL
Took us a while to get it right, and I give myself permission to mispronounce, sometimes, but my helpful kids make sure to correct their impossibly American mother. Laugh

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:24 am
Thank you everyone for your response! That is very helpful!! I don’t like that sound!! So how would they say Leora? Maya?? MaYA? I heard it would be said talYa so I scratched that name.

chagil

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:29 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
My Sephardi Israeli neighbors put the emphasis on the second syllable for most names
SaRA
AyaLA
AhuVA
YaEL
Took us a while to get it right, and I give myself permission to mispronounce, sometimes, but my helpful kids make sure to correct their impossibly American mother. Laugh

I hate it like that. 😞 only like it with yaEL.

chagil

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:35 am

How would they say Leora? I also prefer the former. I really dislike sheRA. It would make me crazy!!!! Same with talYA? There’s something with the reish, that makes it really harsh after the shin.

chagil

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
THIS. Accent on the last syllable is the most popular in Torani/Dati circles. Sephardim prefer the accent at the end, as well. In Yeshivish circles, it's more common to hear the accent on the first syllable.

How would they say Leora?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I am yet to hear a name with the first syllable being emphasized.

But yes to friends changing your kids name. I have a friend who named her kid aYAla but they are in israel, so she is called ayaLA Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I havent actually heard that name very much here, only anglo women over 30 Smile
But I would assume the same as I mentioned above, with the emphasis on the end, as in leOra

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'll ask them Wink

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 9:59 am
chagil wrote:

Leora is pronounced the same in American and Israeli circles. Lee-o-ra. The emphasis is on the 'Lee'.

It's true there aren't many young girls with that name (Li-or is unisex now). But even if there were, I don't think the pronunciation would change - it has three syllables and functions differently.

I have never heard Leora pronounced with the last syllable emphasized.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names