Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you use recipes from magazines?
1  2  Next

Do you use recipes from magazines?
Never  
 12%  [ 18 ]
Once in a while when they have something easy  
 67%  [ 99 ]
Usually once or twice a month  
 7%  [ 11 ]
What do you mean- I love doing it! (Very often)  
 12%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 146

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 11:58 am
Any of the frum women magazines that have recipes.
I’m curious to see how many people use them. Usually too many stores or random ingredients for me.

small bean

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:00 pm
I hardly ever but I'm not such a recipe person

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:00 pm
When something looks good, I like to try it. But not that often really and it doesn't have to be easy either.

Zehava

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:06 pm
Most of the time they look weird and not so appetizing. The only time I find really useful ones is Pesach.

imanotmommy

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:11 pm
I get ideas from the recipes in magazines, but very rarely follow the actual recipe. For example, I recently saw a salad recipe with eggplant and feta cheese that looked good, so I used some of the components in the recipe and made my own salad.

evaeva

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:28 pm
ALL THE TIME, ONE OF THE FIRST PAGES I CHECK OUT

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:40 pm
Sure I like mishpachas recipes. Sometimes I use it for inspo and others I make the actual recipes.

doctorima

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:45 pm
Usually for Yom Tov. They generally come out great, and are rarely easy, so I save the effort for special occasions and when we often have more guests to enjoy the results.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:58 pm
None of the choices matched my hashkafa, so I didn't vote. And why do you limit yourself to frum women's 'zines? Secular 'zines are also loaded with recipes. As is the Internet.
I'm an inveterate recipe clipper.
If I actually try 10% of the recipes I clip, that a lot.
Of the recipes I try, if I use 50% of them more than once, that's a lot.
I'm not interested in the fancy-pants potchkerai let's-impress-the-sisterhood stuff they show. And don't get me started on food "stacks." I'm serving food, not creating an installation for the Museum of Modern Art or preparing specimens for microscopy.
I also don't go for fake food, so I won't look at a recipe that calls for "whip" or instant pudding mix or fake tref or soup mix.
But yes, occasionally there'll be a recipe for real food, not glaringly unhealthy, that requires no specialized equipment (I'm looking at you, veggie spiralizer) and uses readily-available ingredients that I don't have to travel to a foreign country or high-end specialty "food boutique" to find (I'm looking at you, Thai fish sauce, real or fake) that I will try, and occasionally even add to my repertoire if it's successful.

gonewiththewind1

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:08 pm

Last edited by gonewiththewind1 on Thu, Dec 23 2021, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:17 pm
evaeva wrote:
ALL THE TIME, ONE OF THE FIRST PAGES I CHECK OUT

Funnily enough I do enjoy looking at the recipes!! Making them though…

tigerwife

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:20 pm
I find that I’ll use them when they’re published on Kosher.com. When I save the magazine because something looks interesting, I tend to forget about them and then have old magazine clutter. When I take a picture on my phone, the photos get lost, too. I guess my go-to for looking for recipes is to search online.

MangoSmoothie

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:25 pm
I read the recipe section the same way I read the rest of the magazine- for entertainment/because it's interesting.
And sometimes I think about how delicious it looks and how nice it would be if someone else would make it for me Smile

iammom

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:38 pm
I love the recipe section. I’ve gotten good and whittling out the good and easy recipes so most of the recipes I don’t make.

However, I get nervous using magazine recipes in case there are typos. I don’t want to make a whole recipe and then the next week they put in a disclaimer “so sorry, we neglected to include flour in the recipe”.

Cherry Blossom

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 2:58 pm
iammom wrote:
I love the recipe section. I’ve gotten good and whittling out the good and easy recipes so most of the recipes I don’t make.

However, I get nervous using magazine recipes in case there are typos. I don’t want to make a whole recipe and then the next week they put in a disclaimer “so sorry, we neglected to include flour in the recipe”.

Um when was the last time this happened?

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 3:01 pm
Rarely make something out of if. Lots of times it’s items that are hard to get in Israel, not in season, expensive, etc.

Or it just doesn’t look appetizing.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:28 pm
I find so many aren't new ideas to me or they're too new I'm afraid to try 😉

heidi

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:40 pm
iammom wrote:

I actually just made the creamed vegetable soup from Family first. It looked so flavorful, roasting veggies before adding to soup. It is completely tasteless.
I am so disappointed. I doubled it of course Crying

heidi

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:41 pm
Cherry Blossom wrote:
Um when was the last time this happened?

Very recently. I don't remember what it was, but I remember thinking that I was glad I hadn't tried that recipe bcz it wouldn't have come out.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 4:43 pm
Most of the recipes are either too fancy, unpractical, or plain weird.

I do enjoy looking at them and getting unloaded. Once in a while I will make something.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics