Home

Cooking eggs TIME SENSITIVE

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:19 am
Is it true that u need to hard boil an odd amount of eggs in case of a blood spot?
Back to top

amother




Stone
 

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:29 am
We do it so that you can rely on the fact that the majority don't have blood spots.

However, unless you are using free-range eggs, the chicken that laid your egg was never within a hundred feet of a rooster. Almost certainly the blood spots we find in commercially farmed eggs now aren't real blood.

So, while I would go for the odd number in the future, I wouldn't worry about whatever is already done.
Back to top

amother




Tulip
 

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:29 am
I don't know if the below is helpful - because I don't have a source or a great understanding. I think it is basically a minhag.

My mother only boiled an odd amount of eggs (no matter how many she was boiling). My husband says that only applies up to 3 eggs. I think meaning that I shouldn't boil only 1 or 2 eggs. I still only boil odd number of eggs, because that is how I grew up.

It has to do with majority when there might be a possiblilty of a blood spot - meaning that if there was one egg with a blood spot it would be batel amongst the other two. I think it has to do more with the impact it would have on the kashrus of the pot than the actual eggs.
Back to top

Emunah13




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:31 am
If you cook 3 or more & find blood in one you can eat the rest & pot is kosher
Back to top

cbsp




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 10:33 am
There are 2 concepts.

One is about the bloodspot - you need a majority of non-blood spotted eggs. That's why minimum would be 3.

Then there's the (kabbalah?) concept of not doing things in pairs (zugos) - that's where the odd number always comes in.

We do minimum of three but not always an odd number...

(and then there are those who use a can to cook one. This way it's no big deal to throw away in case there's a blood spot)
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:14 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
We do it so that you can rely on the fact that the majority don't have blood spots.

However, unless you are using free-range eggs, the chicken that laid your egg was never within a hundred feet of a rooster. Almost certainly the blood spots we find in commercially farmed eggs now aren't real blood.

So, while I would go for the odd number in the future, I wouldn't worry about whatever is already done.


Things happen. I have never bought a free-range egg in my life, but one fine day I was baking with my kinderlach when I cracked open an egg and found a bloody mess. Literally. Being the squeamish type, I didn't dump the contents into a glass to give a bio lesson about the development of the chick embryo. I swallowed my gorge and my horrified scream and dumped the whole thing in the trash.

Is it possible that some wag took an egg out of a free-range carton (does my supermarket even carry free-range eggs?) and put it in my carton? Possible, though unlikely. More likely that an enterprising hen broke curfew one night, or an egg sorter goofed.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:26 pm
zaq wrote:
Things happen. I have never bought a free-range egg in my life, but one fine day I was baking with my kinderlach when I cracked open an egg and found a bloody mess. Literally. Being the squeamish type, I didn't dump the contents into a glass to give a bio lesson about the development of the chick embryo. I swallowed my gorge and my horrified scream and dumped the whole thing in the trash.


Same thing happened to me once. I think it might have been erev Pesach. If not, it was some other reason for using loads of eggs. There had been an unusual amount in that tray with the regular type of blood spots, then this embryonic one was one of the last. We dumped the rest of the tray after that.
Back to top

amother




Peru
 

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 4:32 pm
Not an odd number. You must hardboil at least 3, but 4 or 6 are fine.
Back to top

amother




Daffodil
 

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:20 pm
Has anyone found a blood spot after cooking the egg?
Back to top

scruffy




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:22 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
Has anyone found a blood spot after cooking the egg?


I once peeled a hard boiled egg and found a lot of brown gunk attached to the inside of the shell- I'm assuming that was a blood spot.

IIRC we asked a shayla and the pot and the rest of the eggs were fine.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Onions (davar charif) cooking in meat pot
by scruffy
4 Yesterday at 10:41 pm View last post
Time sensitive. - baked egg roll recipe
by amother
4 Thu, Oct 21 2021, 2:59 pm View last post
Time sensitive: pepper steak 2 Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:35 pm View last post
***Time Sensitive: ISO Tree Trimming Service in BP
by amother
1 Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:36 pm View last post
Ohr HaChinuch lkwd - time sensitive
by amother
4 Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:18 pm View last post