Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
1st time having a nanny. are our expectations too low?
Previous  1  2

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 1:24 pm
My daughter was in a daycare that closed. I took one of the "teachers" as a babysitter in my house. She didn't really speak English and in the daycare basically spent her day feeding and changing babies. She didn't know how to play with my daughter who was 14 months. She would take my daughter for walks, and give all the basic care, but there was little interaction. I was working a few days a week from home. During my lunch break I would sit on the floor with my daughter and model playing. It took a couple weeks, but within a short time she was sitting on my floor and building towers of blocks for my daughter to knock over, looking at picture books (she could read them but could talk about the pictures), and interact much more with my daughter.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 1:52 pm
I agree with amother Clover. It really depends on how much you are willing to pay. I think it also depends on how easy your kid (or kids) are. With a really laid back and easy baby, I will take a lower rate of pay. If the baby is failure to thrive, has feeding issues, and refuses to sleep, that's going to be a lot more work.

I take care of a a 5yo and a 17mo, girls. I speak to them in English and Spanish, and also Hebrew to the older girl (she's trilingual). I love to read to kids, I sing to the baby, I practice English with the older one, I sit on the floor and interact with all of their play. When they are entertaining themselves, I fold laundry, sweep, wipe down the table, and try to pick up as many toys as I can. I also re shelve all the books that are scattered around. If I have more time, I put the laundry away. I can often get the kids to help clean up if we make it a game. I do bath time and PJs, and then mom puts them to bed. If the parents are having a date night, I'll stay as late as midnight if needed.

I happen to seriously adore this family, and the kids are hysterically funny. I enjoy every minute of it. That's why I get 20 shekels an hour - for anyone else I'd charge at least twice that much.

Oh, and BTW, nobody has ever seen my phone. It stays in my purse the entire time I'm on the clock.

coloredleaves

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 2:04 pm
I'd suggest trying to make a bit of a structure. Some sitters won't think of enrichment on their own but will do it if u ask. Say u want your child's day to be similar to your other days, so u need (pick a few things)- story time with a few books in am, sitting on floor and playing for at least 30 min (put it on an authority- like pediatrician said it's important for development), and a few songs with motions every day.... (like some aspect of a playgroup schedule in your home) . Not all day, but a few short spurts. Plus a walk or playground time daily.

Write it down and just say, you're realizing you weren't specific enough of what your child is used to and your hoping she can do this so his days at both child care arrangements are similar . Then give positive reinforcememt- like oh they really liked the Itsy bitsy spider song and was singing it later, or oh those stories sounded fun. So she knows u hear her. She may actually do what u want! U can also show her some motion songs and do with her. Or leave out the books u want for the day

essie14

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 3:10 pm
coloredleaves wrote:
I'd suggest trying to make a bit of a structure. Some sitters won't think of enrichment on their own but will do it if u ask. Say u want your child's day to be similar to your other days, so u need (pick a few things)- story time with a few books in am, sitting on floor and playing for at least 30 min (put it on an authority- like pediatrician said it's important for development), and a few songs with motions every day.... (like some aspect of a playgroup schedule in your home) . Not all day, but a few short spurts. Plus a walk or playground time daily.

Write it down and just say, you're realizing you weren't specific enough of what your child is used to and your hoping she can do this so his days at both child care arrangements are similar . Then give positive reinforcememt- like oh they really liked the Itsy bitsy spider song and was singing it later, or oh those stories sounded fun. So she knows u hear her. She may actually do what u want! U can also show her some motion songs and do with her. Or leave out the books u want for the day

I agree with this.
Keep it very positive. Dont say anything like "I noticed you dont play with the baby"
Super super positive
Good luck!

retromama77

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 11:19 am
Hi! I worked as a nanny for over 20 years, and honestly it all depends on what your pay rate is with a lot of the girls. For $8/hour, you'd probably get the "kid is still alive" level of care. But someone receiving $15ish/hour should be a lot more engaged with the child. A 10-month old can and should be able to have some time alone with their own thoughts, learning how to perceive the world on their own terms, but also needs the back-and-forth that only close time with another person can provide! Message me if you have any questions or want to know anything nanny related!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics