Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Pets
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 12:11 am
we don't have any. I grew up with a miniature schnauzer and a parakeet and had flings with fish, an iguana and a chinchilla.

I tried frogs and fish (and an ant farm!) with my children but my husband and I do not want any pets. My children really do!

What do you have?

ny21

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 12:13 am
I have a anorexic fish

I had iguanas turtles hamsters

dr pepper

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:00 am
I grew up with dogs, cats, a bird, guinea pigs, and goldfish. For now we only have some fish. Not sure what kind, they're really DH's folly. DH wants to get a dog, but I say not until the children are older because I don't want to walk it myself every day.

ny21

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:02 am
we have a fish as a guest in our home , for the week

he wont eat his flake? what should I do? I dont have the teachers number?

dr pepper

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:04 am
Are you sure he's not eating? He could be eating when you're not watching. If he's not, he's probably sick and there's not much, if anything, that you can do.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 8:41 am
we would LOOOOOOVE a dog but where we live now we can not have a pet (cant wait till we move:>)

brooklyn

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 10:48 am
Right now we have a dog, cat and fish. Had birds at one time but they were too noisy and messy. Gave them to a friend who loves birds.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 11:06 am
We had a fish - Dorothy, named for Elmo's goldfish. She dies so we got another. This was brilliantly named "Fish". That died too & we never bothered again. My parents have a parakeet. It's so noisy that when we were there for Shabbos, DH put the cage in "timeout" because it was driving him nuts.

faigie

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 12:55 pm
brooklyn, how do the cat and dog work out territory issues?

brooklyn

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:01 pm
They actually get along fine, they kind of just ignore each other. Although once I did find them curled up together sleeping, I wish that I had a camera for that.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:18 pm
mumoo wrote:
we don't have any. I grew up with a miniature schnauzer and a parakeet and had flings with fish, an iguana and a chinchilla.

I tried frogs and fish (and an ant farm!) with my children but my husband and I do not want any pets. My children really do!

What do you have?
mumoo, stick to your guns. My son went "fishing' in the tashlich pond after Rosh hasShana two years ago and brought home two humongous goldfish. We didn't know how to keep them, and they died from mistreatment, neglect. embarrassed If you must know, we put them in the bathtub till we could get a fishtank, and filled the tub with warm water; they are tropical fish, no? It looks like it was too warm for them.

I thought we were finished, but my nephew brings us this cute goldfish in a bag, that HIS parents said he couldn't keep. My heartbroken son (then seven) grabbed the opportunity. So my husband makes a family trip of it, and off everyone goes to buy a fishtank. Rolling Eyes

Well they came home with two birds and a birdcage.Rolling Eyes LOL

One of our Tishrei guests wouldn't let her toddler look at the birds, because she said they weren't kosher. That started me off on a round of investigation Wink . I spoke to a Rav about the simanim of a bird, and of course my guest was right, they weren't kosher.

I called up the pet shop if they would let us exchange them, but they wouldn't. luckily the other petshop said they would, so we ended up with two pretty, peaceful (and boring) diamond doves. In this case 1 plus one equals more, because BH our birds like to nest. We now have one grown baby bird, another deceased baby bird who lives on in our memory, besides the originals, and more on the way..... The (older) boy who said he would take care of the birdcare, and the cage every day is now in Yeshiva overseas......

and guess who gets to clean out the cage, and feed the sweet creatures?

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:33 pm
I hear, thanks for the chizuk. I really enjoyed the aquarium, but not enough to suck the water out of it once a week. and having a dog growing up showed me how much care they really need. I feel bad for my animal loving kids, I know a pet teaches them so many things but I have no more room for another being to care for

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 3:48 pm
I grew up with a cat (really easy to look after, no walks required, plus keeps away mice and rats. You just need to feed them) a rabbit or two at one point, birds - budgies, quails that my brothers had, and a huge fishtank. There is one fish in there that just keeps growing and growing (I think it is still alive) My sister had a hamster at one point.

I will not get any pets except fish until my kids are old enough to look after them.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 4:01 pm
I Would never take in a cat or dog into my house I am petrified from it.
I cant understand how someone lives with a animal in one house together.

happyone

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 4:05 pm
I love animals... If I lived in a different community you can be sure I would have a dog or two!

In the meantime I've tried fish, parrakeets, parrot, hamsters, I've taken care of other peoples kittens and puppies here and there.

My friend had a dog, I used to visit quite often, she thought I was visiting her - honestly it was her dog I was interested in!

faigie

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 4:05 pm
my cat is very sweet, she wakes me up in the morning, with a little nudge from her nose, and there ia am staring into two HUMONGOUS green eyes.
she likes to cuddle up to us, or burrow under the covers.
she has her special shabbos meal, which by now she knows she gets after we all sit down shabbos day to eat......... yes she expects this meal smacking her lips in anticipation!
animals can add alot to a persons life. dont be afraid their sooooo soft and nice.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 4:13 pm
I've had fishes, turtles, frogs... I don't want my kids to have pets, it's too sad when they die and annoying when you go in vacation. Dh and I are pretty set on the no pet policy.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 4:23 pm
We have a dog. DH had him before we got married, so I'm stuck with the dog!

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 5:24 pm
happyone wrote:
I love animals... If I lived in a different community you can be sure I would have a dog or two!

why can't you have a dog in your community?

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 6:52 pm
Quote:
happyone wrote:

why can't you have a dog in your community?

No offence, but a real chareidi family would NEVER own a dog. Apart from anything else, lots of frum people are terrified of dogs. I don't know why...everyone said it was because of scary guard dogs that would be set on jews by the non jews. I think it's because people aren't used to them.

Come to think of it, my family was probably one of the tiny tiny minority of people in my neighbourhood who had a cat. the others who did were lubavitchers like us. Now a few more have because Cat Number 4 had kittens. My mother couldn't bring herself to deprive her new cat of motherhood, so she let it have a set of kittens and then had it spayed. She then distributed the kittens around.

*or 5? The previous ones died. One of them by climbing into the drying machine, it was on a timer:( one of extreme old age, and one was when I was a baby, don't know why.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics