Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Update 9/3: USPS tracking says delivered, but didn't receive
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 4:59 pm
I ordered something worth about $150 on ebay. Tracking number was provided promptly, USPS marked it as delivered a nice couple of days earlier than expected. I checked the mail area right when I received that notification, it wasn't there. I figured maybe it registered prematurely, gave it another few days. Nothing there. Checked all around, it's a building/complex with a central area for mail but figured maybe it got dropped off at someone's door, or by the outgoing mail, or anywhere, I looked all over and had all the neighbors look out for it too. We have other similar complexes on our road so I checked there, too - both the first day, a few days later, and a week later. There was no sign of my package anywhere. There is no reason to think it was stolen because nobody else had any missing packages, and there are plenty of packages delivered every day - why would mine be stolen and nothing else? I'm positive USPS made some kind of mistake in marking it delivered. Maybe they scanned it but forgot to put it out. Maybe they scanned it and dropped it off at some other address. But all they know is that they scanned it as delivered.

I tried contacting USPS, the ebay seller, ebay, and paypal. They are all saying I'm out of my mind because the tracking number shows it's delivered so it must have been delivered. Ebay says I can file an appeal if I include new evidence. What kind of evidence is there that something isn't where they say it should be? Maybe THEY should provide evidence that it IS where they said it should be? Amazon does, they have nothing to hide.

Anyway I had to place a new order for the same item because it is something I needed. I would really, really like my money back. If I had wanted to pay $300 for this thing then I would have bought it new instead of playing games with ebay. I guess I'm just lucky that I've been using ebay forever and never had this level of difficulty before.

What can I do?

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:02 pm
It's likely USPS delivered it to the wrong address. I've gotten packages meant for the person with the same address number ten streets away.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:10 pm
I have had that and the seller reimbursed me or sent another

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:13 pm
amother [ Dill ] wrote:
It's likely USPS delivered it to the wrong address. I've gotten packages meant for the person with the same address number ten streets away.

Yes but if they insist they got it right then how will I ever know? I did check with everyone on my street but I'm not exactly going to canvass the whole city door to door...

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:14 pm
You can call the post office and order them to inspect it for your package. I once had an envelope that never was taken out of the mail machine and the post office found it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:15 pm
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
I have had that and the seller reimbursed me or sent another

They refuse to do so because USPS says it was delivered. Technically, they are in the right. However the item I purchased never came into my possession.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:16 pm
mha3484 wrote:
You can call the post office and order them to inspect it for your package. I once had an envelope that never was taken out of the mail machine and the post office found it.

I tried calling the post office, they just insist that it was scanned as delivered and therefore it was delivered. Presumably to the wrong address but they'll never admit it.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:18 pm
try to locate package by joining neighborhood.com

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:24 pm
was the item you ordered large or heavy? If so, ask the carrier to verify that the weight range of the package matched. We ordered something worth hundreds of dollars and it never came in - but we got a random envelope with masks. the seller actually sent the masks instead of the item.
Much hatzlacha

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 5:37 pm
No, it was a small electronic device. No package of any size arrived for me during the entire time I was looking for this. Many packages arrived for other people living in my complex, I.e. the mail system was working fine.

Neighborhood.com website isn't responding, if it's the correct address I'll try again later. But I'm not optimistic.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:19 pm
I’ve had packages marked as delivered (especially towards the end of the day) and they were delivered the next day by the post office. (Once it said it couldn’t deliver bc of a large menacing animal on our property, lol)

It’s only happened with smaller stuff though. I would keep looking into it but it may just show up tomorrow.

mfb

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:26 pm
PayPal (through ebay)should cover something like this. You should insist that you never received it and if they don’t have a signature then they don’t have proof. You have to speak to a supervisor sometimes but if you insist you should get your refund.
Maybe ask the post office if the tracking shows it to be delivered to your address or someplace else.
I had that with AliExpress they sent the package to a totally different address.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:28 pm
amother [ NeonBlue ] wrote:
I’ve had packages marked as delivered (especially towards the end of the day) and they were delivered the next day by the post office. (Once it said it couldn’t deliver bc of a large menacing animal on our property, lol)

It’s only happened with smaller stuff though. I would keep looking into it but it may just show up tomorrow.

It has been two weeks. I looked that day, later that night, the next day, a couple of days later, and a week later. Then I gave up and ordered a new one. But I very much want the money back on the first order.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:32 pm
mfb wrote:
PayPal (through ebay)should cover something like this. You should insist that you never received it and if they don’t have a signature then they don’t have proof. You have to speak to a supervisor sometimes but if you insist you should get your refund.
Maybe ask the post office if the tracking shows it to be delivered to your address or someplace else.
I had that with AliExpress they sent the package to a totally different address.

Regular priority or first class mail does not require a signature.
I did contact PayPal. Initially they said you need to contact ebay first but I opened a claim wit Paypal anyway because Ebay insisted it was delivered. I'm still waiting for a response from Paypal but I'm assuming they'll say the same thing.

The tracking number did have my address. It says "Delievered to:" and has my address there, but I swear it was never here.

I've had all kinds of missing package situations but never one like this. Usually it either turns up a day or two later, turns up at one of the neighbors, or was never marked as delivered and was just lost in the mail and I got paid back for it. I never had something so firmly insisting it was delivered and yet equally firmly refusing to show up.

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:35 pm
You might want to look into taking them to small claims court.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:37 pm
I had the exact same thing happen, but for us it was with UPS. Except in our case it was a family member who had sent the item, so I knew the sender was not lying.
We are also in a building, but we have had some previous issues with UPS - driver buzzing, being let it, not coming up and leaving package slip saying nobody was home when he just didn’t want to take the time to deliver, etc.
What you need to do is open a claim with USPS. Nobody else can help you as they see the package as delivered and it is likely not the wrongdoing of the seller - it probably was shipped. If the process is like UPS, USPS will ask you to check certain places, which it sounds like you already did, and we had done also and to describe the issue. They will then request proof of the value of the item.
The claim took some time but they did reimburse us.
I kept hoping the item would show up (since the family member did a favour for us) but sadly it never did.
I am sure the guy delivered it who knows where or even threw it out somewhere to avoid the time to deliver it (as we have a history of them doing things to avoid actually delivering the package).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:46 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I had the exact same thing happen, but for us it was with UPS. Except in our case it was a family member who had sent the item, so I knew the sender was not lying.
We are also in a building, but we have had some previous issues with UPS - driver buzzing, being let it, not coming up and leaving package slip saying nobody was home when he just didn’t want to take the time to deliver, etc.
What you need to do is open a claim with USPS. Nobody else can help you as they see the package as delivered and it is likely not the wrongdoing of the seller - it probably was shipped. If the process is like UPS, USPS will ask you to check certain places, which it sounds like you already did, and we had done also and to describe the issue. They will then request proof of the value of the item.
The claim took some time but they did reimburse us.
I kept hoping the item would show up (since the family member did a favour for us) but sadly it never did.
I am sure the guy delivered it who knows where or even threw it out somewhere to avoid the time to deliver it (as we have a history of them doing things to avoid actually delivering the package).

I did open a claim with USPS. They sent back an email saying I should check around the mail area and ask neighbors and closed the case. Even though I made it perfectly clear that I had already done that. I think if anyone is going to have a claim on USPS it should be the sender because they are the one who paid for the shipping, which they hopefully also insured. In any case I tried re-opening the claim with USPS telling them that they did not actually answer my problem, but they just sent me some impersonal reply that my tracking number shows it was delivered so it was obviously delivered and case closed.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:47 pm
It should be insured if it was sent priority mail at least up until $50

Sb1234

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:50 pm
Dispute it with your credit card?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:54 pm
I paid with paypal, not a credit card. I did open a dispute with paypal but I suspect they will say the same thing as ebay and usps.

I do not know if they used priority or standard shipping but again that would be on the sender to make a claim with usps. And again, that would be unsuccessful because usps is insistent that they delivered it.

I'm so annoyed. $150 worth of annoyed.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics