Home

PJOurWay books review thread
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




Sand
 

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 6:39 pm
This line in the description of The Rookie Bookie makes me a little nervous:

Jamie is a faithful friend and a strong female character who stays true to herself, despite pressure from her parents to embrace gender stereotypes.
Back to top

seeker




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 8:21 pm
It's that time of month again. Anyone know why this thread doesn't turn up in search results? I typed in PJ our way and it said no threads found. Though I just checked again now that I am looking at the thread title (found in my "following" list) and when I searched "books review" it came up.

Anyway. I'm moderately interested in the choices this month (last month I think I just skipped, none of them seemed worth my time to think about.) The Rookie Bookie didn't look especially valuable to me and also read the content advisory on the parent page. The Blackbird Girls looks maybe interesting but it's yet again with a holocaust tie-in and sometimes I worry it gets a bit much. Though frankly my worry about getting too much probably leads us to have considerably less holocaust content than many Jewish families. But anyway the main plot is about Chernobyl, so yeah this is not going to be a cheerful book. The other two books look cute. So I'm undecided which two to go for, but definitely ruling out Rookie Bookie.
Back to top

seeker




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 6:56 pm
Last day to order. What are we all getting this month?

Also if you got books in past months and then read them, please post your personal review. Some of us (well, at least one, ahem) ordered books thinking they would preview them before giving to the kids but never have any time...
Back to top

happy chick




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:52 pm
miami85 wrote:
My little kids get PJ library books automatically, but I've noticed that my older ones haven't gotten in a while. One of them noticed recently he hasn't gotten in a while. How do I find out about older titles?


You have to sign up for pj our way. When they age out of regular pj, they don't automatically get signed up.
Back to top

happy chick




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:54 pm
seeker wrote:
It's that time of month again. Anyone know why this thread doesn't turn up in search results? I typed in PJ our way and it said no threads found. Though I just checked again now that I am looking at the thread title (found in my "following" list) and when I searched "books review" it came up.

Anyway. I'm moderately interested in the choices this month (last month I think I just skipped, none of them seemed worth my time to think about.) The Rookie Bookie didn't look especially valuable to me and also read the content advisory on the parent page. The Blackbird Girls looks maybe interesting but it's yet again with a holocaust tie-in and sometimes I worry it gets a bit much. Though frankly my worry about getting too much probably leads us to have considerably less holocaust content than many Jewish families. But anyway the main plot is about Chernobyl, so yeah this is not going to be a cheerful book. The other two books look cute. So I'm undecided which two to go for, but definitely ruling out Rookie Bookie.


Same. The thread only comes up when I type in "review".
Back to top

amother




Quince
 

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:01 pm
yeah, the thread doesn't show up in search, (although that's an interesting tip - I can try searching for "review". I finally remembered to see which forum it's in, and now I just went to that forum directly.

Haven't chosen yet -

Thoughts about the Seymour or Shabbat book?

Thanks so much for this thread!
Back to top

amother




Quince
 

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:15 pm
The blackbird girls looks good to me, but I think my dtr will pick the Shabbat Sabatoge.
I find the description of the near drowning episode triggering, though. (it's mentioned in the contect advisory and I read it in the 'first chapter preview'.

Not thrilled with the seymour book after reading a very helpful review in the parent guide.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen
 

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:16 pm
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
The blackbird girls looks good to me, but I think my dtr will pick the Shabbat Sabatoge.
I find the description of the near drowning episode triggering, though. (it's mentioned in the contect advisory and I read it in the 'first chapter preview'.

Not thrilled with the seymour book after reading a very helpful review in the parent guide.


Oh boy, I chose the Seymour one. What did you read?
Back to top

Amelia Bedelia




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:38 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Oh boy, I chose the Seymour one. What did you read?

You can still change your selection through today.
Back to top

seeker




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:47 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Oh boy, I chose the Seymour one. What did you read?

Just looked and I'm guessing it's this one:
Quote:
Boy who is afraid of everything tries to hide his fears until his cousin from Israel helps him overcome his fears and be a "gever". When cousin gets sick he somehow thinks it is his fault. Passuk from Pirkei Avos quoted and translated semi accurately- some error. Boy likes a girl- thinks of her as a "blonde goddess" with a "cute pink T shirt and her shining tan arms". Boy's older cousin keeps finding reasons to spend time with a pretty girl. Boy can't believe his cousin had "fallen for" the older sister of the girl he secretly "likes"- they write each other emails. Language: dumb, gross, weird, stupid, moron. TV Movies, Rock Music, Internet and other Media, internet search engines, email, etc

I think I will pass on this one.
Back to top

mfb




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:18 pm
Anyone on this months books? I’m thinking the mitzvah dog one?
I’m reporting my own thread to see why it doesn’t show up in searches
Back to top

seeker




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:38 pm
Yes I'm thinking the dog one seems fun and innocent. I mean you never know what sneaks in but I have an optimistic feeling about it. For my other child I'm thinking of the house with two doors, but I would want to read it first because the main topic seems to be about arranged marriage and I would want to see the tone of that before giving it to my kids.
Back to top

Yael




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 8:48 pm
mfb wrote:

I’m reporting my own thread to see why it doesn’t show up in searches


Each of the words PJ Our Way are either too short or too common to be included as a search word.
I’ve edited the title to PJOurWay which does show up in a search when you search for PJOurWay without spaces.

We can leave it like this or put it back and use “books review” ( plural not singular) as the search term to find it. Let me know what you prefer
Back to top

CPenzias




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 10:19 pm
I ordered the mitzvah dog one
Back to top

mfb




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 10:57 pm
Yael wrote:
Each of the words PJ Our Way are either too short or too common to be included as a search word.
I’ve edited the title to PJOurWay which does show up in a search when you search for PJOurWay without spaces.

We can leave it like this or put it back and use “books review” ( plural not singular) as the search term to find it. Let me know what you prefer

Thanks for your help.
I think leave it like this for now and we’ll see how it works.
Thanks for always answering and fixing so quickly.
Back to top

mango




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 10:23 pm
My daughter really wants 'its my party and I don't want to go' She is 11 and is coming up to her bas Mitzvah too so I think that's why it interests her but I'm not sure its our speed. Anyone have any opinions. Can't find much about it online...
Back to top

Amelia Bedelia




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:13 pm
One of the book selections for this month was changed- I think it was The Backyard Secrets of Danny Wexler. The new choice, Finding the Worm, seems very decent.
Back to top

pizzapie




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:50 pm
Any recommendations for this months books?
Back to top

Optione




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 6:51 pm
Bump
Back to top

Amelia Bedelia




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 7:19 pm
I remember thinking that the toilet paper book was cute. Don't remember if there were inappropriate parts in there, though. My kids never ended up reading it
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 6 of 7 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Chossidmom's Spam Thread of Covid Vaccine Info - welcome 286 Yesterday at 3:46 pm View last post
Please recommend good non Jewish books
by amother
2 Yesterday at 10:10 am View last post
Bored😑let’s have a funny/interesting YouTube video thread 894 Yesterday at 8:10 am View last post
Lakewood shopping - thread wanted please!
by amother
1 Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:43 am View last post
Yaffi wig review 0 Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:01 am View last post