Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School suggestion- NYC area
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:36 am
My lovely sister is married to a person who isn't Jewish. They live in Brooklyn. She's on her own journey with observance and I'm not sure if she keeps anything, but is very proud of her Jewish identity. Her oldest (daughter) was supposed to school school last year, but because of the pandemic she just kept her home and taught her some ABC's and basics. Now it's time for her to go back to work and her child is supposed to start school and she asked if I have any school suggestions. My kids are in a pretty mainstream Bais Yakov and I really don't have any suggestions. People have told her about a great day school in Brooklyn called Luria, but it's new and she's worried about the education level. Her husband wants to move to Manhattan as he says the public schools are better there, he'd rather pay more rent and just be in a good school district. She's scared that if she sends her kids to public school they'll be eating ham sandwiches in no time and won't want to join them for Shabbat dinners which she still upholds. He says Jewish private school is just too expensive but he's willing to send if they get approved for a scholarship and the school is diverse enough.
Any school suggestions for them to look into?
I told her I'll ask around. I know Labor Day is tomorrow (my kids already started school last week) but she said she'll homeschool for another year if it means getting into a better school next fall, rather than having to transfer her kid.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:34 am
One of my children went to ps for high school. AMA if it can help you. I know it may be different than ps in elementary

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:38 am
Shalsheles bais yaakov in brooklyn.
Hillel day school .
Contact chabad in nyc maybe they can guide you.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:44 am
Mazel day school !
Most parents are secular , or some slightly traditional.
It’s a small, warm school known for exceptional academics….after middle school kids go to the best high schools.
School is a day school type of a school.
Tons of Russians & Israeli’s send there.
Hard to get into, might need some connections

monkeymamma

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My lovely sister is married to a person who isn't Jewish. They live in Brooklyn. She's on her own journey with observance and I'm not sure if she keeps anything, but is very proud of her Jewish identity. Her oldest (daughter) was supposed to school school last year, but because of the pandemic she just kept her home and taught her some ABC's and basics. Now it's time for her to go back to work and her child is supposed to start school and she asked if I have any school suggestions. My kids are in a pretty mainstream Bais Yakov and I really don't have any suggestions. People have told her about a great day school in Brooklyn called Luria, but it's new and she's worried about the education level. Her husband wants to move to Manhattan as he says the public schools are better there, he'd rather pay more rent and just be in a good school district. She's scared that if she sends her kids to public school they'll be eating ham sandwiches in no time and won't want to join them for Shabbat dinners which she still upholds. He says Jewish private school is just too expensive but he's willing to send if they get approved for a scholarship and the school is diverse enough.
Any school suggestions for them to look into?
I told her I'll ask around. I know Labor Day is tomorrow (my kids already started school last week) but she said she'll homeschool for another year if it means getting into a better school next fall, rather than having to transfer her kid.

I am not fully certain but almost positive that the NYC public schools dont serve pork so you have nothing to worry about in terms of that. But why not try a charter school (which is free but may be difficult to get in) and see if she gets in (although check with the school first to see if they are still accepting applications for the year)? If she is starting kindergarten then try the Hebrew Language Academy Charter School which has two locations in Brooklyn and one in manhattan-- https://hlacharterschool.org/
She will learn hebrew and get a good education without paying the thousands of dollars that private Jewish day schools ask for these days.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:01 am
Luria isn't new at all, I was going to suggest it
Mazel might not be an elegant enough crowd for her
Why doesn't she go check them out ?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 12:52 pm
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
Luria isn't new at all, I was going to suggest it
Mazel might not be an elegant enough crowd for her
Why doesn't she go check them out ?

She liked Luria it was just very very expensive and they can't really afford it. She also likes heard really nice things about Ramaz (regular modern Orthodox school, just very good education) and about Manhattan Day School on the west side. All are just above their price point.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 12:57 pm
NYC has an *incredible* new school with an excellent level of education- Montessori style called Tamim Academy. It has partnered with a few Chabad schools in the country (Vermont, Boca, Greenwich, UWS). We send our little one and are very happy. Very high level of academics and extremely warm. It's an amazing place.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 1:30 pm
monkeymamma wrote:
If she is starting kindergarten then try the Hebrew Language Academy Charter School which has two locations in Brooklyn and one in manhattan-- https://hlacharterschool.org/
She will learn hebrew and get a good education without paying the thousands of dollars that private Jewish day schools ask for these days.

Hebrew Language Academy is no different from any other charter school (or public school) except for the Hebrew language. It is not a Jewish school.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 1:33 pm
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
NYC has an *incredible* new school with an excellent level of education- Montessori style called Tamim Academy. It has partnered with a few Chabad schools in the country (Vermont, Boca, Greenwich, UWS). We send our little one and are very happy. Very high level of academics and extremely warm. It's an amazing place.

Thanks, I believe this would also be like 30k per child. There's just no way she can swing it.
(I pay about 10k per child and I'm struggling, don't see how people do 30k.)

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 1:36 pm
She should definitely try Mazel school, it's supposed to be very good.
All those fancy schools she heard of are MO, therefore very expensive, though excellent secular education.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 1:50 pm
Was gonna recommend mazal too.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 1:51 pm
She may get tuition help thru neshomas.yisroel. oorah too if she gets a torahmate

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, I believe this would also be like 30k per child. There's just no way she can swing it.
(I pay about 10k per child and I'm struggling, don't see how people do 30k.)

Lol not at all (or we wouldn't be able to either) where did you even get that number from??

monkeymamma

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 1:57 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Hebrew Language Academy is no different from any other charter school (or public school) except for the Hebrew language. It is not a Jewish school.

Not sure if anyone said anything different as I specified that its a charter school. But many Jews send to the school, the kids do learn Hebrew and about Israel so its the most Jewish education she will get in a public school/charter school without paying thousands of dollars for a private school. Just suggested it since the father wants to send to public school anyway so this was a better option if that were to happen.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:05 pm
https://brooklynheightsjewishacademy.org/

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:08 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:

At the location near me, the lunches are all kosher and there are many traditional families that send. There are even some kids from shomer shabbat families, or one religious parent households there. A group of kids leave early once a week for religious instruction. There isn't any formal jewish education in the school, but the school has a much larger jewish population than other public schools and a peer group that can support the kids in maintaining their jewish identity. At the same time, it will be diverse as the husband wants.

nylon

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:50 pm
Lol not at all (or we wouldn't be able to either) where did you even get that number from??

Luria is $28K. Ramaz is $38K. Direct from their websites.

they do offer financial aid, but the only way to find out what you'd get is to apply and see.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:14 pm
Here is a list of schools in NY, you would have to check to see whats appropriate-- https://www.kveller.com/articl.....ools/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:59 pm

She said that's what she priced it as. She checked the schools websites/ talked to people. They said there's scholarships available to help but it would still be 20k+. Anyone that sends to Ramaz or Manhattan Day School on UWS want to chime in?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics