Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How much did you spend on food for Rosh Hashana?
Previous  1  2

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:25 pm
I spent 250 before shabbos and another 350 today. Still need to get challah tomorrow. We're in Monsey and a family of 5. Honestly, I'll make more than we'll eat and have leftovers to use for the rest of the week. Our corned beef was $60, that's two nights worth of meat. Making lemon/ herb cornish hens, schnitzel w/ a sweet glaze, two different kinds of gefilte fish, matzo ball soup, apple pear cranberry crumble, deli roll, a dairy meal too (tortellini in cheese sauce, baked lox/eggs, mini pancakes w/ chocolate chips, blintzes...) so it all adds up. Add in side dishes like roasted potatoes and green bean salad, corn salad... makes sense. We could totally do this cheaper but it's yom tov. We believe that if we spend a little more to make it special, the money comes back to us.

steak4me

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:27 pm
I won’t say this under amother.

It’s a mitzvah to spend on shabbos and yom tov and hashem pays back for every penny you spend.

I know that I’m being mamlich hashem this rosh hashana and I’m doing it in a way that befits a king.

There is no shame in spending for yom tov! It’s a mitzvah. It’s a beautiful thing!

Simchas yom tov doesn’t have a price. You’re supposed to buy nice wines and meats and have finer things to eat.

I don’t know how much we spent and honestly it doesn’t make much of a different the dollar amount. It’s about going all out for yom tov.

May hashem bless all of you with a year of abundance In every area of your life and may you never need to think about how much money you spend on mitzvos

doctorima

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 11:32 pm
steak4me wrote:
I won’t say this under amother.

It’s a mitzvah to spend on shabbos and yom tov and hashem pays back for every penny you spend.

I know that I’m being mamlich hashem this rosh hashana and I’m doing it in a way that befits a king.

There is no shame in spending for yom tov! It’s a mitzvah. It’s a beautiful thing!

Simchas yom tov doesn’t have a price. You’re supposed to buy nice wines and meats and have finer things to eat.

I don’t know how much we spent and honestly it doesn’t make much of a different the dollar amount. It’s about going all out for yom tov.

May hashem bless all of you with a year of abundance In every area of your life and may you never need to think about how much money you spend on mitzvos

Username checks out Smile

Zehava

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 12:01 am
I probably spent that amount and we’re not even eating at home. Just food for the loooong mornings since the meal doesn’t start before 4-5.

pinkpeonies

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 11:14 am
I spent $530 for a family of 5 and I am invited out for 2 meals!! so was 530 for only 2 meals!!!!

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 11:20 am
Those who are spending $200-$250, how do you do it???? My meat and chicken alone was probably close to $$500-$600!! Fruits and vegetables was probably another $150, and groceries was probably around $250-$300 total. No one got any new clothing or anything like that. We are a family of 6, plus my mom is with us, plus we are having company.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 11:23 am
My main shopping was 385. However, that included all the stuff for last week Shabbos and lots of snacks and stuff for during the week. I'm out one meal rh and making the other 3. We are a family of six but one's an infant.
I actually felt like I spent so little on yt on compared to usual.
I still plan on filling in with a couple stuff today at the store.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 11:23 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I’m surprised to hear people people buy things specifically for Yom tov. Obviously this is not an option for everyone but even in my tiny tiny apart we make room for a deep freeze so we can stock up on meat and chicken on sale. So we didn’t buy any of that. Obviously there are things that we need specifically (simanim etc) so we did some shopping today to fill in, but many do what we bought will be used well after Yom tov too. We spent $50 or so in the kosher store and another $75 in aldi (but again that includes cereals and school snacks and lots of stuff that has nothing to do with rosh hahana$
not sure why its so surprising that not everyone has room for a freezer.
Many people buy fresh chicken or meat every week.

We spent around 300 shekels.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Those who are spending $200-$250, how do you do it???? My meat and chicken alone was probably close to $$500-$600!! Fruits and vegetables was probably another $150, and groceries was probably around $250-$300 total. No one got any new clothing or anything like that. We are a family of 6, plus my mom is with us, plus we are having company.

Meat for one meal is $25. Sauces we have in the house. Chicken for 2 meals is around $25. Leftovers for 4th meal.
Chicken soup veggies is about $10.
Mushroom barley soup costs around $10 to make .
Fruits and veggies about $50-70.
Desert and challah ingredients already in the house but cost around $20.
Simanim about $10-15.
Will use rice as a dish for one meal and potatoes for another.
All far from simple and no one will be hungry.
Treats for kids $10.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 12:54 pm
$200 For family of four, and were eating two meals out.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 1:08 pm
Not so much. I save our fancier patchke foods for Sukkos. Rosh Hashana is simpler.
Family of 9 kah. Approximately $500-600.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 2:40 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Meat for one meal is $25. Sauces we have in the house. Chicken for 2 meals is around $25. Leftovers for 4th meal.
Chicken soup veggies is about $10.
Mushroom barley soup costs around $10 to make .
Fruits and veggies about $50-70.
Desert and challah ingredients already in the house but cost around $20.
Simanim about $10-15.
Will use rice as a dish for one meal and potatoes for another.
All far from simple and no one will be hungry.
Treats for kids $10.

I think I see the difference….my meat doesn’t cost $25….my fruits and vegetables are closer to $200, including new fruit, simanim, etc.
Oh, I forgot to add (don’t remember if I put this in my first post) we are home for all meals, and having company for all.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 3:14 pm
$650 meat, chicken, fish, groceries
$85 produce
$85 paper goods

Meat, chicken and fish and paper goods are hopefully through Sukkos.

Prices have for sure gone up. Chicken cutlets used to be 3.99, now 5.69. chop meat that was 4.69 is 5.99. Chicken legs used to be 1.99 now 2.39. etc
Also we haven't bought this much at once in a while because of the food boxes.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
I think I see the difference….my meat doesn’t cost $25….my fruits and vegetables are closer to $200, including new fruit, simanim, etc.
Oh, I forgot to add (don’t remember if I put this in my first post) we are home for all meals, and having company for all.

It all depends on how much you expect each person to eat. If meat is the main dish and everyone eats half a pound you will spend a lot more than if it’s mixed with a carb and everyone eats a quarter lb or less.
Also if you serve soup first people aren’t so hungry for the night meals.
I also typically buy the cheapest cuts of meats.
We also only eat a little bit of each of the simanim, Dont make it into a whole course.
We are also home for all meals, no major company though, just a couple extra for one meal.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 4:36 pm
Not a clue.
I bought meat on sale, weeks ago. My freezer is always packed and I buy and freez the loss leader of the week. Purchase different weeks, but pulled from the freezer-$6.99/lb for brisket, $4.99/lb turkey roast, $8.99/lb pastrami. Lamb ribblets were on sale for $7.99 and I only need a tiny piece for each person.
Bread flour was on sale 2/$4 a few weeks ago. I bought 8. It will last me a while as I do not bake 5 lb every week.
I buy whatever fruits/vegetables are on sale. We have plouts from the food box and Crenshaw melon from Costco which is huge and being shared, and some other strange fruits which are large I am happy to share.
Rice/potatoes/quinoa/eggs… all staples.
Candy fish, apples, honey, butternut squash (gourd), leeks, beets (a can is $.79 at shoprite), dates… not a huge expense.
Pomegranate-I shell myself but they were so hard to find and expensive this year!!!

What am I missing?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 4:44 pm
150 for 2 people

Not too bad
Gonna miss those boxes

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:08 pm
I made the cheshbon and for the month of September family of 7 spent 1800 this is in Lakewood. I am careful but not overly so Curious what others spent all together

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:46 pm
I spent probably $1200 since rosh hashana and that didn’t include meat and chicken that I had bought already.

Between every Shabbos and 2 day yom tov I spent $200-300 easy.

Family of 8

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:57 pm
My amount includes everything plastic goods everything for Shabbos and yom tov for the entire month of September obviously not including this coming shabbos but I don’t plan on spending more than maybe $50

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 8:15 pm
bump
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur