Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Doona article in Ami magazine
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

hardworking mom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 11:40 pm
I hated the way they wrote that a doona is a must. But I have to say it is useful for someone who uses car services alot. I don't think I would've cried had I not gotten one though. (Or maybe I would've, I was crying about everything when I had my baby. No doona would've given me a reason.) But yeah it did make it sound like you need one before the diapers even

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 11:43 pm
scintilla wrote:
Honestly? When my doona expires I will panic if it's not easily replaceable. I am not trendy in any way nor do I have much disposable income (actually got mine second hand), but the doona has been the number one best thing that has helped me with my baby, no question. Living in Brooklyn with steps and subways and taxis, you just can't imagine the difference the convenience makes. For me it has nothing to do with "status".

A second hand car seat is extremely dangerous do you know where it came from?

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 1:25 am
Literally the dumbest article I ever read. Reminded me why I don’t buy these magazines (read it at a friend). As others have said, it isn’t the doona that’s bothering people. The tone was pathetic.

Signed, someone who has a $1000+ stroller. No problem with spending on what you like. But it’s pathetic to be that desperate for anything other than basic life necessities.

(Someone offered to buy me a Doona. I said no. So yes, some people actually prefer a car seat - gasp.)

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 1:34 am
Btw I’d never get anything other than a cybex bec the sensor safe system warns if you leave the baby in the car. I might even pursue a desperate search for one if they were out of stock. Maybe I’ll write an article about it.

flowergirl10

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 3:14 am
The ami likes to write theses kinds of articles. That people talk about.
They achieved their goal

Mayflower

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 3:34 am
Fox wrote:
I almost never buy the frum glossy magazines, but last week was an exception, since I was going to be more-or-less confined to bed.

I'm far too old to have a dog in this particular fight, but let me say this: if you buy these magazines regularly and leave them around the house where anyone can see them, you have zero right to complain about the Doona article.

I mean, have you actually LOOKED at these magazines? Every other page hawks new "collections" of luxury children's clothing; expensive home improvements; jewelry; vacation packages; and gourmet foodstuffs. Oh, and tzedekkah ads interspersed, because, hey, it's a "frum" magazine.

I have no doubt that the Doona is a worthwhile investment for some and a silly luxury for others. I also found elements of the article interesting, such as the reasons for the production slow-down.

But if you're buying these magazines regularly and G-d forbid leaving them where children can find them, it's hard for me to take seriously complaints about a specific article encouraging mindless consumerism. Remove the endorsements of mindless consumerism, and these magazines would be blank.

I agree 100%.

It actually disturbed me so much that I stopped buying these magazines. Although there might be an occasional interesting article, it is so hard to find because of the endless stream of ads promoting high end articles such as expensive sheitels / multi million homes in Jerusalem / state-of-the-art kitchens / ...

So to those who answer that they just don't look at the ads ... how?

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 3:48 am
I read the article and was left confused. I had a baby at the end of April, and my local baby store told me I don't need to order one, just call once I have the baby because they always have doonas in stock. And they did. So when did this shortage occur?
I was also confused after I read the last paragraph about who the article was about, the author, or someone else.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 3:55 am
Mayflower wrote:
I agree 100%.

It actually disturbed me so much that I stopped buying these magazines. Although there might be an occasional interesting article, it is so hard to find because of the endless stream of ads promoting high end articles such as expensive sheitels / multi million homes in Jerusalem / state-of-the-art kitchens / ...

Living in Israel helps - most of these ads are for stores, items, and trips leaving from NY or USA.

It's not relevant for me.

I don't know anyone who does or buys any of these things personally, so it can seem so far away from my life.

I have other interests, like art, traveling, meeting new people, and have a different taste in clothing and jewelry.

I still don't buy the magazines, we get the the week after from friends and family.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 4:20 am
I have a few issues with Doonas, mostly because I am so thrifty that I can't imagine buyng an expensive item that will expire in less than a year with my sturdy babies. And I was always told not to buy second hand carseats. But, I guess if I was having my first kid and was in and out of a car it would be a good investment. And I would 100% spend money on an item like this more than a $5000 diamond necklace. But not to cry over.

I agree with fox about those magazines. I don't subscribe but my daughter wants to for the kids magazines. But the gashmius in the adults ones really turn my stomach.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 5:01 am
Raisin wrote:
I have a few issues with Doonas, mostly because I am so thrifty that I can't imagine buyng an expensive item that will expire in less than a year with my sturdy babies. And I was always told not to buy second hand carseats. But, I guess if I was having my first kid and was in and out of a car it would be a good investment. And I would 100% spend money on an item like this more than a $5000 diamond necklace. But not to cry over.

I agree with fox about those magazines. I don't subscribe but my daughter wants to for the kids magazines. But the gashmius in the adults ones really turn my stomach.

It's not just that - it's meant as a carseat. I'd still have a second stroller as well I'd need to buy. Having your baby in a carseat position is unsafe for long periods of times. The doona is so lightweight, I see them fall over so easily. There's no basket, it's dangerous to even hang your bag on it.

hardworking mom

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 5:34 am
The doonan is a actually not expensive if you realize you're buying a carriage and a car seat in one

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 5:43 am
hardworking mom wrote:
The doonan is a actually not expensive if you realize you're buying a carriage and a car seat in one

It's a two in one car seat and carriage like 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner is both shampoo and conditioner. It's an underperforming carriage that is unsafe for long trips, just like 2-in-1 is a shampoo that somewhat conditions but leaves buildup.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:07 am
It was such just so over the top. so ridiculous.
I was waiting for the joke. I still can't believe that this was a real article.
If there are more like this I am not going to buy it anymore.
If they are normalizing women not being able to bring home a baby without a luxury stroller, they have serious issues. I kept waiting for the part about when the spoiled idiots come to their senses.
I don't want my daughters reading such trash.
I mean thank god you have a healthy baby and a good husband.
I get the idea if one person needs this for a specific reason or one person really wants one and can afford it. what bothered me was that it was saying that everyone needs one and one friend will do a
"chesed" and try to get all her friends one no matter the price cuz its a must. huh?
maybe it was just to make us talk about it. I hope not.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 6:56 am
hardworking mom wrote:

You should not be using it as your regular carriage.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 7:10 am
OBnursemom wrote:
Those aren’t the safest car seats. Sure, you can in a pinch. But the car seats that adjust in the front and don’t need to be rethreaded to change the harness height are not under $100. People who buy those cheap car seats often don’t have them secured properly. Spend $50 more for the convenience. Please and thank you. I don’t have a Doona and will never have one, but stop with the ‘in my day I walked uphill both ways, barefoot, in the snow’ argument.

All car seats sold in America pass the same safety standards. Not needing to be rethreaded is a convenience not a safety measure. Plenty of people use their graco car seats properly, and in fact plenty of people DONT use their more expensive car seats properly. It’s not very nice or honest of you to imply that people who buy the less expensive ones are less educated about car seat safety.

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 7:49 am
Mayflower wrote:
I agree 100%.

I see the ads. But they mean nothing to me. I have never shopped in one of the luxury store for clothes. My kids uniforms are the only expensive clothes they own. I use hand me downs and cheap clothes. I rarely shop for myself. We dont go on vacations. These ads promote a lifestyle that is so out of my orbit it just doesnt bother me.

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 7:59 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
All car seats sold in America pass the same safety standards. Not needing to be rethreaded is a convenience not a safety measure. Plenty of people use their graco car seats properly, and in fact plenty of people DONT use their more expensive car seats properly. It’s not very nice or honest of you to imply that people who buy the less expensive ones are less educated about car seat safety.

Let’s just say that they’re deterrents from using the seat properly. And you could just think that I’m not nice, or you could believe me when I say I have helped a lot of new parents use car seats that are difficult to figure out. Or you don’t have to. I think you see my screen name and jump down my throat for the fun of it. Ease of use features are in place to make car seats easier to use safely. And sure maybe you rethread the whole car seat when the straps are too loose or tight. But plenty of other Americans do not, and car seats end up being used in ways that are appalling in terms of child safety.

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 8:40 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I think the article was in very poor taste. It was supposed to be humorous. Being that I didn’t have a baby in 9 years, I didn’t think it was funny at all to cry about not having a doona. I would take my baby home in anything if I had one to bring home.

Just this.

Having waited 11 years for my baby, the people in the article came across as exceptionally spoiled brats who take for granted the absolute miraculous gift of having a baby. I would have been happy to have the cheapest baby gear in existence if it meant having a baby. (P.S. I totally splurged and bought expensive gear bec I was able to, but again this isn’t about what people buy, just the nauseating attitude.)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 8:44 am
Fox wrote:
I almost never buy the frum glossy magazines, but last week was an exception, since I was going to be more-or-less confined to bed.

Hope all went and goes well, whatever's going on (not our business).

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Sep 06 2021, 8:53 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
If you don't have a car and walk everywhere you're better off with a stroller that's actually a stroller and has a basket.

It's not safe to not own a car seat. We're talking about Graco snap n go vs doona, both are unsafe when it comes to leaving your child in there for long periods of time. Everyone needs to also have a stroller, but stroller + car seat + snap n go takes up space in the tiny Brooklyn home. I always assume anytime I see a doona, that they just stepped out of a taxi.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room