Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Ideas for leftover roast
1  2  Next

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 7:07 pm
I have alot of roast leftover from Yom tov and it doesnt taste good enough to serve again for dinner plain. I need some ideas for how to repurpose it. All idea welcome, I'll know the right one for me when I see it
It's a chuck roast, so it's pretty tender and braised.
Edit, only stovetop or crockpot recipes please

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 7:16 pm
Shredded beef baguettes with all the fixins
Mushroom barley beef soup
Meat pizzas with shredded beef, sweet sauce and spicy sauce
Beef bourekas

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 7:18 pm
Make pulled beef. Shred the beef with 2 forks or chop into small pieces. Add sautéed onions (frozen cubes are ok) and barbecue sauce.
Serve on mashed potatoes, in pita, tacos, or sandwiches

Fave

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 7:20 pm
Use it foe your chulent

mazelandbracha

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 7:30 pm
I split mine into bags of about a pound each and freeze with the gravy and onions. It makes yummy cholent!

hellokitty

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 7:51 pm
shred it!

stir some into sloppy joe sauce, serve on buns with fries and slaw

add taco-style seasonings to another portion and serve with taco shells or on salad with chips

bbq sauce some for pizza or wraps

I'll occasionally do meat breakfast burritos - add it to scrambled eggs and add some salsa. especially filling breakfasts are great for day trip days!

erm

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:11 am
Saute with onions and peppers
or
slice and bread like schnitzel and fry. It is always a hit.

naomi2

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 5:34 am
Wow thank you guys, so many good ideas here!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 5:48 am
Make knishes or egg rolls for Succos. Or both! (I've done this with leftover roast, corned beef, or pastrami)

Knishes: Saute onions and combine with shredded meat. Make a sauce with equal amounts ketchup and duck sauce. Buy a package of puff pastry squares. Roll out each square slightly, brush generously in center with sauce, put on a generous spoonful of meat, and fold in a triangle, using a fork to seal the edges. Can be smeared with egg and sesame before baking, or bake and serve with a mushroom sauce over it.

For egg rolls - Saute some onions for a while till carmelized, add a package of coleslaw mix and saute briefly. Season with soy sauce, ginger, and a drop of sesame oil. Add shredded beef. Stuff into eggroll wrappers and roll up folding in the edges. I like to freeze them at this point, and I fry them on Y"T morning, somewhat thawed but not totally - they don't fall apart this way. Serve with a dipping sauce of apricot jam, drop of mustard, and drop of teriyaki sauce combined.

Yum!

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 7:22 am
We eat roast so rarely that I would want to freeze it for another time. It needs to be frozen "wet" or you get freezer burn. Put it into a foil pan, cover with any remaining sauce, if there isn't much sauce (or even if there is) add some red wine, cover tightly and freeze. It is better after his treatment than first time around.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:33 am
I have leftover roast that was taken out of the freezer on Tuesday evening ( on yt) and reheated. what can I safely do with it at this point ?

ddmom

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:37 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
I have leftover roast that was taken out of the freezer on Tuesday evening ( on yt) and reheated. what can I safely do with it at this point ?

Bump! I have the same question!
My roast was frozen and reheated once already.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:42 pm
ddmom wrote:
Bump! I have the same question!
My roast was frozen and reheated once already.

I had the same question last night. I had a full pan of roast that was frozen and heated up. I googled and according to google if the pan is full without any air spaces and wrapped well then it’s okay to refreeze. I’ve never done this before as I always thought meat cannot be refrozen. I guess I never had so much leftovers so I didn’t look into it. I hope it will be okay. I do not plan on serving when we have guests.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 1:07 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:

I'm serving it tonight while it's still good. (Or you can serve at Friday night seuda )

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 1:46 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Make knishes or egg rolls for Succos. Or both! (I've done this with leftover roast, corned beef, or pastrami)

Knishes: Saute onions and combine with shredded meat. Make a sauce with equal amounts ketchup and duck sauce. Buy a package of puff pastry squares. Roll out each square slightly, brush generously in center with sauce, put on a generous spoonful of meat, and fold in a triangle, using a fork to seal the edges. Can be smeared with egg and sesame before baking, or bake and serve with a mushroom sauce over it.

For egg rolls - Saute some onions for a while till carmelized, add a package of coleslaw mix and saute briefly. Season with soy sauce, ginger, and a drop of sesame oil. Add shredded beef. Stuff into eggroll wrappers and roll up folding in the edges. I like to freeze them at this point, and I fry them on Y"T morning, somewhat thawed but not totally - they don't fall apart this way. Serve with a dipping sauce of apricot jam, drop of mustard, and drop of teriyaki sauce combined.

Yum!

Making the knishes now! I call it bourekas actually. How long and what temperature to bake on?

Librarian

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 3:19 pm
I lay roast slices on top of onions being sauteed in frying pan. Add water to almost cover and then cook down on med-low flame, covered. Pour the liquid left when ready over mashed potatoes.

keym

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 3:23 pm
I make a thick, beefy vegetable minestrone soup. Lots of chunky Vegetables, meat chopped up, spices.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 4:04 pm
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
Making the knishes now! I call it bourekas actually. How long and what temperature to bake on?

I baked it on 350 for 25 min and came out great. Thanks chayalle!! Instead of roast in the garbage I now have a succos appetizer in the freezer!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 4:06 pm
I’m assuming I need to throw out the leftover gefilte fish and make new for shabbos? I cooked it on Sunday. I don’t think I would want to eat it on shabbos!

Librarian

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 4:23 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I’m assuming I need to throw out the leftover gefilte fish and make new for shabbos? I cooked it on Sunday. I don’t think I would want to eat it on shabbos!

Oh. I am.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics