Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
KGH ladies- atria 2000, the opal, oasis...? please help!
Previous  1  2

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
we live right next to bayswater but need to be near kgh for personal reasons
we dont plan on staying in NY long term

but what do you mean by most people cant make it work? financially? emotionally?
is it a friendly community? thats also a big reason why we are moving.

I did not find it at all friendly. If you have a reason to be there (we did, we had to literally live at our work which was in KGH), then it is what it is. If you are part of the chofetz chayim world, you will be fine - they love it there. Same with Landers, etc. But a lot of the people there have their groups and are not looking to meet new people.

I meant financially people cant make it work. Its just so expensive.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:11 pm
I'm Chofetz Chaim so I may be biased but I would say move to the post office block (75th Rd between 147th and Main) where there's a mixture of CC and not. The Main st park is right across the street and there's always kids outside on the block. I'm not sure how often the apartments are available for rent but depending on the house they're pretty nice. Most of them are houses split into a few apartments. And if you're a regular and friendly frum lady of course you could be friends with CC people! I have a bunch of friends that aren't but I do agree it's harder to make friends here if you don't have the network that we do.

I also think Kew Village is a great place and there's more privacy there. Though it skews a little less yeshivish (not than the buildings you mentioned, just less than my previous suggestion).

Here would be harder to make friends but it's a cute block and a nice apartment. Though it does look like it's on a second or third floor if that bothers you.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:14 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
I'm Chofetz Chaim so I may be biased but I would say move to the post office block (75th Rd between 147th and Main) where there's a mixture of CC and not. The Main st park is right across the street and there's always kids outside on the block. I'm not sure how often the apartments are available for rent but depending on the house they're pretty nice. Most of them are houses split into a few apartments. And if you're a regular and friendly frum lady of course you could be friends with CC people! I have a bunch of friends that aren't but I do agree it's harder to make friends here if you don't have the network that we do.

I also think Kew Village is a great place and there's more privacy there. Though it skews a little less yeshivish (not than the buildings you mentioned, just less than my previous suggestion).

Here would be harder to make friends but it's a cute block and a nice apartment. Though it does look like it's on a second or third floor if that bothers you.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

Tysm. Were not chofetz chaim. im nervous about the social aspect. but its more for my husband to have a shul to daven in and feel welcomed in.
were a young sefardi yeshivish family. my dh learned in a typical israeli yeshiva.
whats kew village like? how far is it from main street?

thanks for the advice!

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:18 pm
I think if you’re part of a yeshiva/ shul with a rav who has strong leadership skills then you can be happy with your chevra. Other people bond with friends, neighbors or relatives and have those relationships for comfort. I think it’s hard if you and your husband don’t have any family or friends unless you join a tight knit kollel type yeshiva where the women stick together. Also it gets a little easier when your kids get older and want to play with other kids and you’re forced to interact. Anyway, if you have to move for your job it’s a nice, frum area with lots of conveniences in the neighborhood for frum families. B’ezrat Hashem you’ll make new friends and will be happy.

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tysm. Were not chofetz chaim. im nervous about the social aspect. but its more for my husband to have a shul to daven in and feel welcomed in.
were a young sefardi yeshivish family. my dh learned in a typical israeli yeshiva.

thanks for the advice!

Main Street is very long, spanning union tpke (high 70s) to queens college (high-60s - dunno the street name), but most houses aren't so far from main street itself. Keep in mind the numbers repeat, so 78th st is quite a walk from 68th st (because there are like 3 72nd rd/st/ave, 3 69th rd/st/ave) lol.

We're very frum but not yeshivish, and BH were able to find friends even though we're not part of any particular community.

Prices-wise, keep in mind that most listed rents on KGHShuls are open to negotiation, so you might be able to get a better deal than what's listed.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 3:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

thanks for the advice!

I wish I knew more about the Sephardi community! I know some very very sweet young yeshivish Bucharians that live around 73rd and Main but I'm not sure where they daven.

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 4:07 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
I wish I knew more about the Sephardi community! I know some very very sweet young yeshivish Bucharians that live around 73rd and Main but I'm not sure where they daven.

They probably daven by r’chaimoff

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 4:16 pm
Atria has a lot of yeshivish bucharians if that is what type of sefardi you are.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 5:16 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
Atria has a lot of yeshivish bucharians if that is what type of sefardi you are.

nope were moroccan

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 10 2021, 5:17 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:

you know so much
is there anyway I can pm u? Very Happy

Goldie613

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 8:39 pm
The Yahoo group a few posters mentioned is now on io.

https://groups.io/g/KGHShuls

If you have any questions about the neighborhood, schools, shopping, etc, please ask! A lot of us are familiar with KGH and would be happy to answer your questions :-)

Goldie613

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 8:42 pm
Have you tried reaching out to any shuls you are thinking of attending? Some of them will help with Shabbos hospitality if you'd like to try the shul/neighborhood for a Shabbos before making a final decision.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:40 am
Goldie613 wrote:
Have you tried reaching out to any shuls you are thinking of attending? Some of them will help with Shabbos hospitality if you'd like to try the shul/neighborhood for a Shabbos before making a final decision.

we really want to do that before moving. were a normal yeshivish couple with a cute baby and im a little nervous to try shabbat.com...
are you able to type up a few of the sefardi shuls in the area?

Goldie613

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 12:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
we really want to do that before moving. were a normal yeshivish couple with a cute baby and im a little nervous to try shabbat.com...
are you able to type up a few of the sefardi shuls in the area?

Ok, so I'm less familiar with the sefardi ones, but I was able to grab you a list off godaven.com

Hopefully some others can give you more details :-)

https://www.godaven.com/search.....;day=

ETA = ignore all the notations of no minyan today - LOL, most shuls aren't running them at this hour, so that note pops up :-)

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 5:58 am
That list is good but for some reason it doesn’t list lots of the shuls. There are many more. Op, if you or your husband know any sefardic couples living in kgh you should call them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:33 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
That list is good but for some reason it doesn’t list lots of the shuls. There are many more. Op, if you or your husband know any sefardic couples living in kgh you should call them.

nope we dont know anyone lol
I would call someone if I knew

do u kno the other shuls not mentioned?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:33 am
Goldie613 wrote:
Ok, so I'm less familiar with the sefardi ones, but I was able to grab you a list off godaven.com

Hopefully some others can give you more details :-)

https://www.godaven.com/search.....;day=

ETA = ignore all the notations of no minyan today - LOL, most shuls aren't running them at this hour, so that note pops up :-)

ty goldie613!! this was very kind

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:43 am
Quote:
I believe the buildings on 150 and 79th are known as "Benedict"

YES!! and the other was across 150th.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries