Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Did I miss something??

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 6:39 pm
My oldest daughter just turned 3 (1st week of Sept.) and started nursery in a private place with a 2 yo and 3 yo class. Till this year she was home with babysitter (I had 3 kids under school age last yr). I assumed she would be in the 3 yo class. Long story short, they want to switch her to the 2 yo class because she is the only child who wasnt in playgroup last yr so they feel like she's not keeping up. She has been in school for 2 whole days and 3 half days and are giving her till after sukkos to catch up and then they are gonna put her in the 2 yo class because she missed out a yr.

In her less than 1 wk in school my daughter learned all the davening and rosh hashana songs, was able to tell me what she learned and is learning about standing in a line and everything that goes along with school that she never heard of before. She obviously is not up to pace with the other kids still but based on all this will catch up (probably not in her 7 days most of which are half before sukkos though).

I don't want to hear about pushing or putting a 3 yo in a 2 yo class, but since when is 2 yo playgroup mandatory??? Did I miss something and should I be putting my 2 yo in a playgroup so she doesn't run into this problem??

My daughter is the right age for this class and the Morah agrees that she's only behind because this is a huge adjustment. When I was growing up no one went to 2 yo. Is this a new thing that we have to send our kids to 2 yo to be able to be in nursery because Morah's wont help them adjust cuz they're supposed to know already????

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 6:43 pm
Playgroup is not mandatory but it’s very typical to push September / deadline babies back if they aren’t very advanced.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 6:59 pm
Figure out how old the kids in the 2yr old group are first.
Make sure you like the morah in the other class.
I would think it's little too early to make changes but maybe the other class is smaller?
2yr old playgroup is absolutely not mandatory. Ask teacher why she thinks it would be beneficial to your daughter to be with younger kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics