Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Tell me about Sept. 11, 2001, as you experienced it.
Previous  1  2

heidi

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:27 am
We had just moved to NY 5 days before and were staying with relatives. DH was in our old city tying up loose ends.
My aunt called me to tell me to turn on the TV, a helicopter had mistakenly crashed into the WTC. That's what everyone thought at first.
I sat with my relatives and my young child watching as it all unfolded.
Most chilling for me was watching the morning newscasters, usually so composed, losing it and screaming "Oh My G-d" on live TV as the first tower fell.
My relatives live in an affluent suburb and were saying how many neighbors would be sitting shiva. Bcz it was selichot, and other miracles many many of their friends and neighbors were spared.

Java

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:15 am
I was 3 years old. Don't remember anything

sequoia

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:37 am
I was 16 and a senior in high school.
My school was on the east side in midtown.

I was checking my email in the library when someone ran in and said, “a plane has just crashed into the world trade center!” Some students went on the roof and watched the second tower fall. I didn’t.

Then they said, “high schoolers can go home!” I walked home and talked on the phone with my ex-boyfriend, and my french tutor who lived in my building. She was going to pick up her kids from the lycée français uptown. I wanted to go with her but my father shouted, “stay in your room!” I tried to do homework.

School resumed after three days. We were all breathing that stuff. A few Stuyvesant students were diverted to our school but honestly it wasn’t much better. We were very near to the site and we should have also stayed closed.
Sometimes I wonder if my health problems were caused or exacerbated by this.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:42 am
sequoia wrote:
I was 16 and a senior in high school.
My school was on the east side in midtown.

I was checking my email in the library when someone ran in and said, “a plane has just crashed into the world trade center!” Some students went on the roof and watched the second tower fall. I didn’t.

Then they said, “high schoolers can go home!” I walked home and talked on the phone with my ex-boyfriend, and my french tutor who lived in my building. She was going to pick up her kids from the lycée français uptown. I wanted to go with her but my father shouted, “stay in your room!” I tried to do homework.

School resumed after three days. We were all breathing that stuff. A few Stuyvesant students were diverted to our school but honestly it wasn’t much better. We were very near to the site and we should have also stayed closed.
Sometimes I wonder if my health problems were caused or exacerbated by this.

Very possibly.

https://www.nytimes.com/intera......html

A couple of Stuvesant students mentioned there.

tp3

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:49 am
I had just moved to Brooklyn. It was surreal. The dust and ash that came over from Manhattan. People walked around like in a daze. No one talked of anything else. There was a very strong atmosphere of helping each other out- strangers, neighbors, anyone at all.

Mollie

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 12:38 pm
boysrus wrote:
omg.
I never read that before
cant stop crying Sad

This is not accurate, there is no transcript of the call.
Also, in interviews, Lisa Jefferson said she did not tell him about the planes that hit the WTC in order not to panic him.

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:16 pm
Mollie wrote:
This is not accurate, there is no transcript of the call.
Also, in interviews, Lisa Jefferson said she did not tell him about the planes that hit the WTC in order not to panic him.

So if that's true, then he didn't say "let's roll"?

etky

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:32 pm
I had just dropped my oldest off at her English tutor. It was just 4:00 pm Israel time.
I had my youngest who was about 6 months old at the time in the stroller and we popped into the grocery store to pick up a few things on our way home.
The radio was on and they were reporting that a small plane or helicopter had crashed into one of the twin towers. The storekeeper and I wondered together how that could have happened, not thinking for a minute that it was a terror attack.
I got home a couple of minutes later and turned on CNN.
I saw the first tower collapse and then the live reporting of the plane hitting the second tower and its subsequent collapse.
By then it was clear that this was a terror event.
We called DH's parents in Pennsylvania who had pretty much just woken up and hadn't heard the news yet.
I was glued to the television for the next few hours and couldn't stop crying.
I remember feeling that now Americans could really understand what we had been going through here in Israel over the recent year since September 2000 when the second Intifada broke out.
I remember being terribly saddened that Americans had in a sense lost their innocence and that their conception of the world and their sense of security would be changed forever.
We had spent the summer of 2001 with DH's parents in bucolic rural Pennsylvania in order to get a break from the terror here in Israel.
In my wildest dreams I couldn't have imagined that just a couple of weeks after our return, terror would visit NYC in such a horrific manner and on such a massive scale.

rd0715

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:41 pm
I actually worked in the the first tower on 27th floor
was very traumatic experience that day! Baruch Hashem made it out alive it changed me forever

Mollie

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 3:10 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
So if that's true, then he didn't say "let's roll"?

She did say he said that phrase at the end of the phone call. You can watch her recall her conversation with him, it’s all over YouTube

Icecreammama

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 3:48 pm
rd0715 wrote:
I actually worked in the the first tower on 27th floor
was very traumatic experience that day! Baruch Hashem made it out alive it changed me forever

Would you be okay with giving some more details?
Please skip if it's too much.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:14 pm
AllThingsBlue - thank you for printing the transcript.

Very moving!

A real Hero - So Brave!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics