Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Getting a diagnosis Monsey ADHD

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 10:54 am
Looking for advice of how to go about getting my child a diagnosis (adhd or something similar) I want to do it privately not thru the school district. For an almost 6 year old boy

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 11:37 am
I did an eval with Achieve when my son was 6.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I did an eval with Achieve when my son was 6.

How did it work? U just called them and asked for an evaluation or did you need a referral from pediatrician?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 12:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How did it work? U just called them and asked for an evaluation or did you need a referral from pediatrician?

Just called them up. I have had his current psychiatrist and a therapist say that it is a low quality eval, however, it held out as a true diagnosis.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 12:24 pm
For a high quality evaluation- Dr. Michael Steinhardt.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:16 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
For a high quality evaluation- Dr. Michael Steinhardt.

Thank you. Will look into this suggestion.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:18 pm
For nyc- mandelman

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:29 pm
These type of evaluations are usually not covered be insurance, is that correct? What should I expect the cost to be?

oneofakind

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:37 pm
If you have good insurance, they may cover a portion of it after you submit the bill but it's about $3000.
The good part is you save money in the long run by not paying for useless tutoring or therapies. He will guide you as to exactly what your child needs.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:39 pm
We used Dr Hizami
Iirc it was $1000
Pros- he looks like a regular frum guy, his office is not professional looking and hes not wearing a white coat
My 13yo doesn't know he went to a psychiatrist
Cons- his office is difficult to get through to

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 2:42 pm
Dr. Steinhardt is a neuropsychologist. You can't compare his evaluation to a psychiatrist.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 4:18 pm
If your'e really only looking for a diagnosis and dont care about the quality, if you have Fidelis (and some other insurances) Achieve will be free.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 4:38 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
If your'e really only looking for a diagnosis and dont care about the quality, if you have Fidelis (and some other insurances) Achieve will be free.

Thanks but I definitely do care about the quality. I don't need him to have a diagnosis (I just suspect that he will end up getting one) I want to do the evaluation so I can get an accurate picture of what's going on.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 4:48 pm
I never saw Dr. Steinhardt as a patient but I worked near him in the past and I can vouch for his mentchlechkeit.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:36 pm
For one child who was a bit more confusing of a diagnosis (also ADHD) used Dr Hizami, and I highly recommend him. He is extremely insightful and high quality- we was able to pick up on tiny nuances and knows the different medications in and out... he basically hit the nail on the head and my child is doing great BH.

For a different child who was clearly ADHD and pretty typical we went to Daas Wellness and saw Mrs Nussbaum (I don't know her title but something like a PA) bc we didn't want to pay out of pocket and we didn't feel this child was too complex. We were very pleased with DAAS but the only con is they are really busy and she is the only prescribing person there so its not easy to get appts and u have to call in advance... She explains e/t very clearly and is also very thorough....

I'm happy to answer any further ?s
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics