Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
YK fast 1st Trimester, Rabbi says ask your Dr., Dr says.....
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:34 am
Last year I was in my first trimester. I asked my rav, I was told to lay down in an air conditioning room all day. If I even thought I was feeling dehydrated, I was told to guzzle down as much water as I need. After that he told me to do shiurim. Happens to be that I'm actually a really good faster usually and felt perfectly fine all day bh.
Now I am nursing bh but I didn't ask yet what to do this year.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:38 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
If the husband being home will make it harder for HIM to fast, how is that an answer?

It's ok for something to be hard. So he won't feel well. Sometimes that's life.

It's still important for both husband and wife to fast. Her obligation is just as strong as his, and fasting outweighs davening for both men and women.

mama123

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
When I was in my 7th month , doctor who is high risk doctor does not like when woman fast, we asked a rav and he said if there’s no specific reason not to then I should fast and if I don’t feel well use shiurim. Well around 5/6pm I started feeling contractions, not strong but the ones where your stomach gets hard and then relaxes and it was like every 15’min, so I stated doing the shiurim. Bh I did. After yo. Kippur I called my doctor and told him what happened he was very upset that I fasted against what he said and said I could’ve caused myself to go into preterm labor... so what I’m saying is get a clear answer deal
Doctor and then speak to a rav. Know what to do and ask if you’re not sure what to do. Hatzlacha. It should be an easy and smooth pregnancy . Bsha Tova gmar tov

I had the same experience in my 7th month; started having contractions in the late afternoon, due to dehydration. Everyone is different, but in my experience, it’s much harder to fast when nursing than when pregnant.
Do everything you can to prepare beforehand with hydration. Drink lots of water and electrolytes.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:54 am
sky wrote:
I’m not sure how staying home is harder then being in shul?
Don’t men typically work and run their normal life when fasting.
I guess I don’t get the idea of a husband being completely incapable of looking after his children.

I said nothing about to a man being incapable of taking care of his children. Wow. All I said was what if being home makes it harder for HIM. It’s nice that the response to “she’s having a hard time” is “he should stay home” but what if being home makes it harder for HIM to fast? Yes, men go about their daily business when fasting. So do women. What’s your point? His daily business is usually not being home with the kids, and being home with them might make it harder for him to fast. Are we only worried about the wife being able to fast? Is that only the ikar of the day for the woman?

sky

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 12:05 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I said nothing about to a man being incapable of taking care of his children. Wow. All I said was what if being home makes it harder for HIM. It’s nice that the response to “she’s having a hard time” is “he should stay home” but what if being home makes it harder for HIM to fast? Yes, men go about their daily business when fasting. So do women. What’s your point? His daily business is usually not being home with the kids, and being home with them might make it harder for him to fast. Are we only worried about the wife being able to fast? Is that only the ikar of the day for the woman?

The ikar is that they both fast.

I guess I didn’t understand that watching the kids would make it impossible to fast. It’s a hard day…

If it’s impossible for a dh and wife to both fast with kids then they need to discuss it with a rav.

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 1:21 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

A healthy, non-pregnant, non-nursing, non-elderly adult should be capable of caring for kids and fasting 25 hours. If a husband has his own medical conditions, then that would be a different scenario.

Of course, fasting and watching kids is usually harder than fasting and davening, but a man age 20-60 without medical conditions in an air-conditioned home should be perfectly able to do so. I'd say the same for a non-pregnant non-nursing woman without medical conditions.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 3:18 pm
OOTforlife wrote:
A healthy, non-pregnant, non-nursing, non-elderly adult should be capable of caring for kids and fasting 25 hours. If a husband has his own medical conditions, then that would be a different scenario.

Of course, fasting and watching kids is usually harder than fasting and davening, but a man age 20-60 without medical conditions in an air-conditioned home should be perfectly able to do so. I'd say the same for a non-pregnant non-nursing woman without medical conditions.

That’s not true. Some people are just low energy. Some people are really not good when fasting. Me and DH are both like this. We both get extremely hangry and cannot function at all while fasting.

So far we’ve had family who were under 12/13 to help us out.

Me and DH as single people did not stay in shul the entire time as it was too much for us.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur