Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Am I crazy??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 8:59 am
Ds is almost 20 months.
Lots of allergies.
Today was a calm morning. I was eating some milchig chocolate with my coffee when ds started begging for a piece. I resisted but he got very insistent as all toddlers do... so I gave him a square of chocolate. TMI

He gobbled it up quickly and asked for more. I did NOT give him more...it took all of 30 seconds and his entire breakfast came up. He kept retching again and again. Even now he is lying on me exhausted but I could feel his stomache randomly convulsing.

I gave him benadryl.

What was I thinking? I was thinking that maybe he could tolerate one square of chocolate! A friend told me yesterday that her son won't tolerate milk or yogurt but he is okay with cheese. So I think in my head I thought it was worth testing it out.

Please tell me I'm not a crazy. I'm new to this whole allergy world and need to know when it's okay to take a risk and when it's not.
(Please dont yell.at me. I'm feeling awful.) Sad

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:02 am
I won’t yell at you, we all do things and kick ourselves about later. What’s done is done. Hopefully you will remember this reaction for next time, and will choose not to give him what he can’t have. I hope he (and you!!) feels better soon.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:05 am
Yeah you shouldn’t be testing things like that. Also maybe don’t eat things he’s allergic to in front of him. Speak to his allergist about how to navigate dealing with this.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ds is almost 20 months.
Lots of allergies.
Today was a calm morning. I was eating some milchig chocolate with my coffee when ds started begging for a piece. I resisted but he got very insistent as all toddlers do... so I gave him a square of chocolate. TMI

He gobbled it up quickly and asked for more. I did NOT give him more...it took all of 30 seconds and his entire breakfast came up. He kept retching again and again. Even now he is lying on me exhausted but I could feel his stomache randomly convulsing.

I gave him benadryl.

What was I thinking? I was thinking that maybe he could tolerate one square of chocolate! A friend told me yesterday that her son won't tolerate milk or yogurt but he is okay with cheese. So I think in my head I thought it was worth testing it out.

Please tell me I'm not a crazy. I'm new to this whole allergy world and need to know when it's okay to take a risk and when it's not.
(Please dont yell.at me. I'm feeling awful.) Sad

Allergy mom here I never take a risk without an ok from the doctor but most tryouts are in the doctors office!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:34 am
Thanks all.
I hate this and I may be a drop in denial. This kid has so many issues, allergies being only one of them...all he wanted was a piece of chocolate and I had a moment of temporary insanity, convinced myself that one tiny bit will prove that he really can have a bit of dairy. Can't Believe It

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:04 am
Cheese is sometimes better tolerated because it's more processed form of dairy than milk and yogurt.

In general, the more processed an allergen is the less likely for a reaction.

But also, needs to be tested in the dr office.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:16 am
Also chocolate has lots of traces of nuts so if he’s allergic to nuts that can also be the issue with chocolate

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:17 am
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
Also chocolate has lots of traces of nuts so if he’s allergic to nuts that can also be the issue with chocolate

Afaik he is only allergic to peanuts.
The chocolate did have hazelnuts

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Afaik he is only allergic to peanuts.
The chocolate did have hazelnuts

But it can have traces of peanuts . It’s called cross contamination where they could have used a machine for the hazelnuts that was just used for the peanuts. If it’s not a nut free facility nut dust can be all over.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:35 am
Like you said, it was a moment of temporary insanity. And now you know to never ever do that again.

Someone with a food intolerance can sometimes tolerate the food in a diluted form. Someone with an allergy can't tolerate it even just a tiny bit. Even if one square of chocolate is just 1 part milk to 1,000 parts other ingredients, a person with an allergy can experience life threatening anaphylaxis from it.

You learned your lesson. If you ever want to chat allergies, feel free to pm.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:00 am
anonymrs wrote:
Like you said, it was a moment of temporary insanity. And now you know to never ever do that again.

Someone with a food intolerance can sometimes tolerate the food in a diluted form. Someone with an allergy can't tolerate it even just a tiny bit. Even if one square of chocolate is just 1 part milk to 1,000 parts other ingredients, a person with an allergy can experience life threatening anaphylaxis from it.

Thanks.
I think I'm just in a rut right now. Something unrelated happened that was a huge letdown and I was just in a bad place and made a poor decision.

But his reaction sure showed me that I cant play around.
I am usually okay but I'm feeling overwhelmed with all of his issues.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:07 am
anonymrs wrote:

Food intolerance and allergies are not the same. When people say they are "allergic" when in fact they are intolerant they are creating confusion.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:14 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Food intolerance and allergies are not the same. When people say they are "allergic" when in fact they are intolerant they are creating confusion.

I dont know the difference.
All I know is that if he so much has the tiniest bit of dairy he vomits immediately.
He once went into the garbage and found one of those squeezy things that one of my older kids finished. Maybe it was leben or yogurt. He put his mouth on it. There was nothing in it!
In seconds, he started vomiting like crazy.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:31 pm
I know this is not what you're looking for but no I will not tell you it's ok. I guess you learned your lesson. I do think there is often a lack of clarity on doctors' part when diagnosing allergies, which is likely the reason why you felt that you "didn't know when to take risks." (as far as I'm concerned the answer is just about never. But the "didn't know" suggests a lack of clarity from the doctor.) If you are working with your regular doctor and not an allergist, go see an allergist. If you are already with an allergist, consider switching to one who will more clearly explain what's going on and how to handle it.

Also, this post is only a few hours old - assuming the benadryl helped, look out for a return or worsening of symptoms. Sometimes benadryl can stop the reaction but the allergen is still in the person's body and can do more harm. Do not sleep on this. If allergy symptoms return as the benadryl wears off, call Hatzalah.

momsrus

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:02 pm
seeker wrote:
I know this is not what you're looking for but no I will not tell you it's ok. I guess you learned your lesson. I do think there is often a lack of clarity on doctors' part when diagnosing allergies, which is likely the reason why you felt that you "didn't know when to take risks." (as far as I'm concerned the answer is just about never. But the "didn't know" suggests a lack of clarity from the doctor.) If you are working with your regular doctor and not an allergist, go see an allergist. If you are already with an allergist, consider switching to one who will more clearly explain what's going on and how to handle it.

Also, this post is only a few hours old - assuming the benadryl helped, look out for a return or worsening of symptoms. Sometimes benadryl can stop the reaction but the allergen is still in the person's body and can do more harm. Do not sleep on this. If allergy symptoms return as the benadryl wears off, call Hatzalah.

You only need to call hatzola if the allergy is affecting breathing.

If symtoms return just give more benadryl

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:05 pm
I agree that you need a better doctor. This should have been explained to you very clearly. It sounds like your kid has serious allergies and it should not be be taken lightly. You can’t risk it. You can’t just make exceptions and assume it will be ok.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:10 pm
momsrus wrote:
You only need to call hatzola if the allergy is affecting breathing.

If symtoms return just give more benadryl

This is untrue. Perhaps your allergist gave you these directions knowing your specific medical needs but you absolutely cannot make a blanket statement like that. If someone has a severe allergic or severe suspected allergic reaction and then it starts coming back after treatment, it could get dangerous fast. G-d willing it won't but it could. If you wait until someone is having difficulty breathing before you START getting medical help... that is not a good idea.

shanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:12 pm
Do you have an Epipen for him?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:13 pm
seeker wrote:

Thanks. I am working with a good allergist.
As I said, it was a moment of insanity.
Maybe a moment of denial. it was the first time such a thing happened where I knowingly gave him an allergen. But he has in the past ingested dairy by mistake and I saw how he reacted. It was always immediate vomiting. (sometimes itchiness as well.)

I think my conversation with my old friend yesterday messed with my head. She called to wish me a gut yahr and we got to talking about our kids, and she mentioned how her highly allergic kid ingested a nut by mistake and was okay afterwards. That's how they realized he outgrew this allergen. Her son is 16. my son is 20 months.

I feel very guilty about it and definitely learned my lesson.

mc

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:40 pm
I have a child with multiple food allergies, so I totally understand how hard it is. That said, I think that you need to talk to an allergist about an allergy plan. In our case (and pretty sure this is standard protocol) multiple times throwing up would warrant using an epi-pen immediately.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics