Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you have dental insurance?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:31 am
We don't get dental insurance as part of our health insurance plan.

How many others are in the same boat?

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:37 am
I get dental insurance from my employer but via a different plan than my medical benefits.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:38 am
Yes, we have a plan through the marketplace. It's about $30 a month, and it's pretty decent. You'd need to pay a lot out of pocket for any major dental work but it covers cleanings and x rays and a lot of the more routine dental work.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:45 am
I don't have dental insurance. It sucks.

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:47 am
we would have to pay for dental insurance if we wanted it.

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:38 pm
I have had dental insurance when I worked for large corporations but it really wasn't that much of a savings since the total amount was capped at about $1000 and the reimbursements weren't nearly as much as what my dentist actually charged even for minor stuff like a cleaning or a filling.

I never went to a dentist who was in the network so reimbursement was 50% of what was customary so it was 50% of a ridiculously low amount since their idea of customary had nothing to do with what dentists charged. Smile

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:44 pm
I do not have dental insurance as part of my plan and I have had so much dental work done that I would have reached my max coverage very quickly.
Instead I paid for a dental discount plan. No submitting any claims, I just pay slightly less per procedure/office visit. You just have to have a dentist who accepts that plan.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 12:46 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Yes, we have a plan through the marketplace. It's about $30 a month, and it's pretty decent. You'd need to pay a lot out of pocket for any major dental work but it covers cleanings and x rays and a lot of the more routine dental work.

Would you be ok sharing which plan is pretty decent? And how were you able to find a dentist on your plan? When I had one I didn't even use it because all the dentists were "not accepting new patients."

groovy1224

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:05 pm
seeker wrote:
Would you be ok sharing which plan is pretty decent? And how were you able to find a dentist on your plan? When I had one I didn't even use it because all the dentists were "not accepting new patients."

It's an Empire BCBS plan. I looked up who in my area took it, and made sure to call before signing up that she was accepting new patients. Don't want to put specifically where I live on here but you can PM me, if you happen to live nearby I can recommend who I'm currently using.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:08 pm
no, we never did but that just meant we could see whatever dentist we wanted. I got Care Credit for big dental expenses which lets me pay them out over 2 years. we've been happy enough

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:23 pm
I have separate dental from Oxford benefit management. It's around $275 per month which works for us and saves a lot of money overall. Depending on your family size, it may not be worth it financially

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:25 pm
I also have dental through marketplace $30 per month United Health Care. I found several wonderful dentists and even an endodontist that takes my insurance worth having using it a lot lately!

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:04 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
I also have dental through marketplace $30 per month United Health Care. I found several wonderful dentists and even an endodontist that takes my insurance worth having using it a lot lately!

Can you share the names of any good dentists?

I'm not picky about location. Worth traveling for, B"H dentist is not a frequent need at this time.

I found an orthodontist for my kids but no dentist!

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:07 pm
Dentamax

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:09 pm
Yes, but I work for local government.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:40 pm
Yes, through my employer.

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:48 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
I have separate dental from Oxford benefit management. It's around $275 per month which works for us and saves a lot of money overall. Depending on your family size, it may not be worth it financially

How did you get this plan? Through an insurance agent or something? I'd love to hear more.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:00 pm
We don't get dental but we have the option to pay for dental. It costs almost as much as what they pay out each year for us. Only worthwhile for those that have dental issues and spend a lot at dentist each year.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 11:30 pm
to the person who saw an endodontist who took their marketplace insurance, was that in brooklyn? which dentist? which insurance?
I pay a lot for dental through my work because we, unfortunately, always have major dental work needed (implants, etc) that wouldn't be covered through marketplace dental.
dental was just added to my bcbs marketplace plan so I kinda have 2 insurances
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics