Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Pregnant and fasting on Yom Kippur
1  2  Next

ahuva96

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:19 pm
I am really nervous about the upcoming fast.
Every year I am nervous because I am a terrible faster snd I usually am in bed the whole day.
This year I am being almost 9 months pregnant and I am so nervous to fast. I don’t went to go into labor this early and I am nervous not being able to even drink for 26 hours!!
I don’t understand why pregnant people should have to fast I am extra thirsty these days snd it will be so difficult !!! My husband is calling the rav soon to see what the Halachos are if my gast needs to be broken but I don’t understand why I need to fast in the first place!!

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:23 pm
Beshaa tovah, I hope you feel good.

You need to fast because it is an explicit mitzvah in the Torah to fast on Yom Kippur. Being thirsty and uncomfortable isn't a free pass. Sometimes, we are asked to do things that are a little hard.

Obviously, if you are unwell, that's another story. But healthy adults are required to fast.

Roots

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:23 pm
If its hard for you to fast the rav might say you can drink in shiurim. its not satiating at all , its literally for your health
also, personally I find it very helpful to drink at least a liter of grape juice (borei pri hagefen) before the fast
it makes the sugar go very high and gives me kochos to last the fast
(last year I was week 41 so I know what ur feeling, and I fasted fine BH)
start drinking alot from today and stay away from coffee
hatzlacha

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:36 pm
Roots wrote:
If its hard for you to fast the rav might say you can drink in shiurim. its not satiating at all , its literally for your health
also, personally I find it very helpful to drink at least a liter of grape juice (borei pri hagefen) before the fast
it makes the sugar go very high and gives me kochos to last the fast
(last year I was week 41 so I know what ur feeling, and I fasted fine BH)
start drinking alot from today and stay away from coffee
hatzlacha

did it put you into labor?
I'm around 33/34 weeks and nervous I will get contractions from the fast..

Roots

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:38 pm
surprisingly not
I was waiting to give birth lol and after the fast I actually turned to dh and said if yom kippur wasnt able to make it happen WHAT WILL?!?
and the next morning I began contractions and gave birth at night

Zehava

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:41 pm
Why don’t you do IV if you’re worried? I’ve done it in all but my first. It’s uncomfortable but I know my baby and I are safe this way.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:43 pm
I was due erev yom kipper 12 years ago. I didn’t go into labor I was even 10 days overdue. I had my baby on chol homeod. You’ll be ok iyh”.

momsrus

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:45 pm
Roots wrote:
surprisingly not
I was waiting to give birth lol and after the fast I actually turned to dh and said if yom kippur wasnt able to make it happen WHAT WILL?!?

so it did put you into labor

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:47 pm
momsrus wrote:
so it did put you into labor

yes sounds like it did. Im just nervous cuz it's too early for me to have the baby 6/7 weeks early. and sounds like it often happens after, even if u make it thru the fast

Zehava

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:48 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
yes sounds like it did. Im just nervous cuz it's too early for me to have the baby 6/7 weeks early. and sounds like it often happens after, even if u make it thru the fast

Yeah this is why I’m always told to do IV

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:48 pm
Zehava wrote:
Yeah this is why I’m always told to do IV

u do it in your house? I am meeting my Dr tomorrow I will ask

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:49 pm

I was at end of 8th last yk it did not put me into labor at all.

Zehava

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:51 pm
u do it in your house? I am meeting my Dr tomorrow I will ask

Yeah. Though you can also do it in a clinic.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:54 pm
My sister gave birth on Motzei Y"K a few years ago. But she was due already, baby was not early.

Make sure to talk to your LOR about Halachos if you get any contractions, if you feel lightheaded, if you need hydration, etc....

I was pg with my DD over Y"K in my first trimester and my Rav gave me explicit instructions what to do if necessary. I didn't end up needing it, but I'm so glad I asked. It gave me the peace of mind.

Wishing you a smooth and safe rest of your pg OP.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:04 pm
https://www.aish.com/h/hh/yom-.....e=yes

Ask your Rav I believe if needed you can drink shuirim every few minutes, just get the heater to have as needed...
Good luck!!! Bshaa tovah!!! Smile

ssue

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:09 pm
You guys get an IV BEFORE the fast? or have one delivered to your house for the day of the fast?

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:17 pm
ssue wrote:
You guys get an IV BEFORE the fast? or have one delivered to your house for the day of the fast?

Neither is halachically ideal, but attaching a bag of fluids to a pre-existing IV is a lot simpler than opening a vein on Yom Tov.

Zehava

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:18 pm
ssue wrote:

We get a hep lock before the fast starts and are connected in the morning, if done at home. If at a clinic it’s done on the spot.

miami85

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:19 pm
Roots wrote:
surprisingly not

I was once due 2 weeks after an important wedding and I danced the night away thinking--what's the worst that will happen? I'll give birth. I wanted to attend sheva brachos the next day but we all knew that it wasn't a given that would happen, well, I did. Baby didn't come for another 2 weeks!

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:21 pm
I’m also so nervous. I’m 28 weeks now with my first iYH and I do not want to have a preemie!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note