Home

Why are Flatbush BY Elementary schools off this Friday???
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:33 pm
Can someone please tell me why the Flatbush Bais Yaakov elementary schools are closed this Friday?
It's not erev yom tov
It's not erev erev yom tov
Or erev, erev, erev yom tov
Or isru chag
Or Anything.
Just another reason to give a day off....just because?
Because 8 days of school for the first month of school was perhaps way too much for them?
Please do not tell me that the teachers need to cook and get ready for yom tov. The whole world is functioning as if it's a normal Friday, they should be included. This is getting so out of hand, I am not getting it.

Please don't tell me it doesn't pay to open up school for 3 hours. It definitely does.

I just don't get it.
Back to top

amother




Butterscotch
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:34 pm
All frum schools everywhere are off. There usually isn't school between yom kippur and succos especially when the only day is friday.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:36 pm
That's not true. Elementary school always has in between
Back to top

amother




Pansy
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:37 pm
Everyone is off this Friday. It's a day after yom kippur and erev yom tov. School usually starts late a day after yom kippur. It doesn't make sense to start late on a Friday.
Back to top

amother




Snowdrop
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:40 pm
Probably because so many students would be absent due to YT travel.
Back to top

amother




Stonewash
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:40 pm
*The day after yk begins an hour later. School starts @10 Friday dismissal is at 11:30 or 12.
*Many ppl are going away for yk already.
*No transportation
*Just because.
* rebbis need to build their sukka.
* other communities are also doing this, don’t want to be different.

You choose.
Back to top

amother




Mocha
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:41 pm
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:
All frum schools everywhere are off. There usually isn't school between yom kippur and succos especially when the only day is friday.


This is not completely accurate. The high school I work in will be open. I don’t know about elementary schools.
Back to top

HonesttoGod




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:43 pm
My boys have school but chederim usually push in as many days as possible.
But honestly they start an hour late so they’re barely in school for two hours.

I can imagine why girls schools don’t have.
Back to top

amother




Tulip
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:43 pm
I don't have anything to add except to chime in and say that I am totally and completely with you OP!!
Signed,
A mother of a large brood who will be working on Friday (oh, and Monday too Smile).
Back to top

amother




DarkGray
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:43 pm
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:
All frum schools everywhere are off. There usually isn't school between yom kippur and succos especially when the only day is friday.


Schools in Queens are open.
Back to top

amother




Floralwhite
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:45 pm
I am a morah in a preschool and we have work friday and monday. It's for the working mothers because they dont have off, so we dont either. But I gotta tell you its extremely annoying because many many mothers are not working on erev yom tov (I guess they have off or they take off). The way I feel is that if we arent going by frum school calendar we should go by public school calendar and have off labor day and all those days that the mothers are off
Back to top

Queen18




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:45 pm
I'm with the OP. The boys manage to have school.
Back to top

amother




Outerspace
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:48 pm
It's ridiculous. My boys have school, girls don't. You want parents to work to pay tuition, but then you want to give off every possible opportunity. Somehow, it is worth it for them to open only the Friday after sukkot, so they can have off on Thursday isru chag.

And for those morahs who will say when are we supposed to prepare for yom tov...well guess what? I work full day on erev yom tov too and still manage. You can survive working half day Friday when Yom Tov isn't till Monday night.
Back to top

bigsis144




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:
All frum schools everywhere are off. There usually isn't school between yom kippur and succos especially when the only day is friday.


Silver Spring, MD - we do have school Friday after Yom Kippur

#OOT
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:51 pm
My boys have school but between starting an hour late and dismissal at 11 they will be in the school building for about 10-15 minutes. It doesn’t make any sense to me but it is what it is.
Back to top

amother




Snowdrop
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 6:52 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
It's ridiculous. My boys have school, girls don't. You want parents to work to pay tuition, but then you want to give off every possible opportunity. Somehow, it is worth it for them to open only the Friday after sukkot, so they can have off on Thursday isru chag.

And for those morahs who will say when are we supposed to prepare for yom tov...well guess what? I work full day on erev yom tov too and still manage. You can survive working half day Friday when Yom Tov isn't till Monday night.

The rationale I've always heard is that girls are expected to be home helping their mothers prepare. Isn't that why they get off earlier than the boys before Pesach?
*Of course that harkens back to the time years ago when women made most stuff from scratch and were mostly not working outside the home. Back then, I guess it made sense.)
Back to top

amother




Tiffanyblue
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:03 pm
I'm with you OP. All the way from Toms River.

And while we're at it, why is there no school for girls the Friday after Isru Chag?

Oh-I know! It's because us working parents didn't have it hard enough this year with the crazy startup schedule that left us with almost four weeks of no full work days between the boys and girls' camp/school calendar, and the 8+ vacation days we had to use this month for the Yomim Tovim.

I guess the administrators figured working parents were all having such a breezy time this year so hey! Why not add two more days with the kids home driving themselves up the wall while we try to earn a living?

Banging head Banging head Banging head Banging head
Back to top

amother




Outerspace
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
The rationale I've always heard is that girls are expected to be home helping their mothers prepare. Isn't that why they get off earlier than the boys before Pesach?
*Of course that harkens back to the time years ago when women made most stuff from scratch and were mostly not working outside the home. Back then, I guess it made sense.)


Maybe that's the rationale for high school girls, but definitely not for elementary school girls. And I'm working, so my daughter is definitely not helping me at that time. It is a huge hassle and expense finding childcare for all these days.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's not true. Elementary school always has in between

Good question. Though I stopped questioning as it just adds to my frustration. I try to look at the school calendar in the summer and prepare myself for all the extra days off otherwise I'd just go bananas.


Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Begonia
 

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:24 pm
Bh my kids have school I think it’s Ridiculous not to
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Gift (flowers) that can be delivered in flatbush
by amother
2 Today at 10:28 am View last post
Many cases in Flatbush??
by amother
10 Today at 9:32 am View last post
Covid minyan in flatbush for Yom Kippur
by amother
15 Today at 7:18 am View last post
Midwood Flatbush sh with open Sukkah or great Sukkos dinner?
by amother
0 Yesterday at 9:16 pm View last post
Chesed needed in Flatbush 17 Yesterday at 2:56 pm View last post
by kenz