Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Small and large freezer

imanotmommy

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:05 pm
I just defrosted my chest freezer, so now is my chance to reorganize. What should I keep in my regular freezer, and what should I keep in the larger one? They are both in the same room, but usually there are things on top of the chest, so it can be harder to access.
When I first set it up, I put ingredients (frozen meat, chicken, vegetables) in the large freezer, and ready-to-eat food (ice cream, soups, cheese) in the smaller one. I can do it like that again, but I want to hear other ideas.
I know it makes sense to keep what I use most often in the smaller freezer, but it's hard to categorize. There are only a few things that I know I need a lot, and that I keep in the freezer door or the basket of the chest freezer. So that general method won't help me for the rest.

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:10 pm
For now, during the chagim I would keep all my ready chag food in the accessible freezer.

imanotmommy

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:23 pm
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
For now, during the chagim I would keep all my ready chag food in the accessible freezer.

That reminds me: the chest freezer has a light that I have no way to disconnect, so if there's anything in it that I need for Shabbos or Yom Tov then I need to remove it before.

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:17 am
Can you bag/box stuff in the chest freezer to make it easier to access, so you have boxes stacked rather than rummaging through the freezer and not finding what you need. I would be putting larger and less used items in the chest freezer. Like if you have a months worth of bread or challah, or lots of raw meat/chicken, it should go in the big freezer. Things you use daily or often, should go into the smaller freezer.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:25 am
If your freezers have a tendency to frost over badly, use pan spray like Pam all over the inside. It will keep ice from forming! (Make sure the spray is kosher l'Pesach, or you'll regret it later.)

I always put everyday stuff in the small freezer, and things that I stock up on in the big freezer. When my chest freezer died I got an upright one instead, and I'm really happy I did.

Now I use the chest freezer to store gardening equipment out on the patio, and it makes a great buffet table if you are having guests outside.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics