Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Smoked Salmon and Wasabi Tea Sandwiches

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:48 am
This was a nice twist on lox and bagels. Ingenious to flavor the cream cheese with wasabi so it had a "sushi" flavor profile.

I asked my sushi place for a bit of wasabi so I didn't have to buy a container and I used challah which is pretty close to brioche as they are both rich, dense somewhat sweet breads.

Smoked Salmon and Wasabi Tea Sandwiches

Excerpt From: Cat Cora's Classics with a Twist

SERVES 6; MAKES 12 SMALL SANDWICHES

Who says tea sandwiches can't be exciting as well as refined? Zingy wasabi, salmon and cream cheese, and cool, crisp cucumber slices give these sandwiches a perfect balance of flavor and color.

1 16-ounce brioche loaf (you'll use about half; see note)
1½ tablespoon wasabi from a tube or ½ scant teaspoons powdered wasabi
1½ tablespoon wasabi from a tube or ½ scant teaspoons powdered wasabi
½ cup whipped cream cheese (regular or light)
4–6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
1 large cucumber, preferably English, thinly sliced (see above)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives

Cut twelve ½-inch-thick slices of brioche and trim the slices into even squares. Lightly toast the brioche using the lowest setting on your toaster or arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and toast in an oven set to 350°F for 2 minutes on each side or until it barely colors.

In a small bowl, combine the wasabi and cream cheese with a spoon, mixing until the wasabi is completely dispersed. Spread about ½teaspoon of the wasabi cream cheese in a thin, even layer on each slice of bread. Top with a slice of smoked salmon and trim off any excess so the salmon is even with the bread slice all the way around. Top with cucumber slices. Sprinkle with chives. Arrange on a large platter or tray and serve.

cat's note:If brioche isn't available, try a whole-wheat baguette, party pumpernickel, challah bread, or even slices of sourdough. Because this recipe calls for few ingredients, use good artisan-style bread with a little texture.

chef's touch: If you're feeling artistic and want a beautifully scalloped top, overlap the cucumber slices on the salmon, like the scales of a fish, and then trim so the sandwiches are even and square.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics