Home

Do I need a top of the line therapist or can I use a clinic

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 10:56 pm
For social anxiety in a 7 yr old and suspected hyperactive adhd in a 4 year old?
Back to top

amother




Eggplant
 

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:27 pm
My dd did not have success with any top of the line therapists. Neither did she have success with newly-minted therapists.
I think it's a matter of chemistry..
Just be on the lookout for the quality of attunement , empathy, understanding from the therapist to you and your child.
Studies have shown that these are the qualities that are most helpful in therapy.
Also, don't underestimate the amazing work of hands-on therapy such as biodynamic craniosacral.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:29 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
My dd did not have success with any top of the line therapists. Neither did she have success with newly-minted therapists.
I think it's a matter of chemistry..
Just be on the lookout for the quality of attunement , empathy, understanding from the therapist to you and your child.
Studies have shown that these are the qualities that are most helpful in therapy.
Also, don't underestimate the amazing work of hands-on therapy such as biodynamic craniosacral.


This is helpful. Thanks.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 16 2021, 11:50 pm
I was happy to use a clinic for myself. For my son with significant social issues I found that using a private therapist who could go to his school and observe him at recess was super super helpful. A therapist in a clinic would not be able to do that.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:08 am
mha3484 wrote:
I was happy to use a clinic for myself. For my son with significant social issues I found that using a private therapist who could go to his school and observe him at recess was super super helpful. A therapist in a clinic would not be able to do that.


Not significant b”H. Doing great at school. Needs help with neighbors.
Back to top

amother




Steelblue
 

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:02 am
Are you asking because money is a problem?
If not then definitely go private.
If you go to a clinic make sure to say exactly what you want and ask for somebody that is experienced and specializes in those issues. Also ask how long they are seeing clients. If they just started then no.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 3:30 am
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
Are you asking because money is a problem?
If not then definitely go private.
If you go to a clinic make sure to say exactly what you want and ask for somebody that is experienced and specializes in those issues. Also ask how long they are seeing clients. If they just started then no.


Money isn’t a problem in general but I don’t have an extra $400/week for two kids to see private therapists. Not even $400/month.
Back to top

oneofakind




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 6:48 am
Use a developmental pediatrician for the 4 yr old to get a diagnosis.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 7:10 am
oneofakind wrote:
Use a developmental pediatrician for the 4 yr old to get a diagnosis.


Thanks. What is a developmental pediatrician? Different than a regular one?
Back to top

oneofakind




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 7:16 am
A developmental pediatrician is focused on emotional, social, behavioral, functioning. Insurance would cover that and you'll get guidance on what your 4 year old really needs.
Back to top

amother




Mocha
 

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not significant b”H. Doing great at school. Needs help with neighbors.


My DD has the exact same issue! I believe it’s anxiety, not really social skills, since she’d rather cling to my skirt and kvetch all weekend, than walk two blocks and knock on neighbors doors. If neighbors come here, she is thrilled!
Back to top

amother




Goldenrod
 

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 8:38 am
I will echo what others have said. It’s about the relationship between the therapist and the patient. I would definitely start in a clinic. Remember a lot of top private clinicians started in clinics, and many still work in clinics and see private patients.
Back to top

seeker




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 10:22 am
I would say clinic BUT make sure they involve the parent - e.g. include you in some part of the session or have a time to meet with you after the kid. That way you can personally evaluate the vibe.
Back to top

first time mom




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:03 pm
A therapist is like a shidduch. It needs to be the right match.
A top of the line therapist can be life changing for one client and just not work for another.
Within every clinic there are very experienced and top of the line therapist and also beginners. Do your research when beginning with any therapist whether private pay or through a clinic.
Back to top

amother




Vermilion
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:52 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
My dd did not have success with any top of the line therapists. Neither did she have success with newly-minted therapists.
I think it's a matter of chemistry..
Just be on the lookout for the quality of attunement , empathy, understanding from the therapist to you and your child.
Studies have shown that these are the qualities that are most helpful in therapy.
Also, don't underestimate the amazing work of hands-on therapy such as biodynamic craniosacral.

It’s so true- top of the line doesn’t necessarily equate success and my experience with relatively new therapists were not great
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Repair person who can replace the entire top of a wig
by amother
8 Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:21 pm View last post
S/o Staying on top of everything
by amother
12 Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:22 pm View last post
So seriously how do you stay on top of it? 17 Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:15 pm View last post
I forgot to buckle the top car seat buckle :(
by amother
2 Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:22 pm View last post
Art therapist in Brooklyn
by rim
3 Thu, Oct 07 2021, 10:09 am View last post