Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Regrets/ not listening to doctors
Previous  1  2  3

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:29 pm
I'm so sorry OP so heartbreaking and we all feel for you. Please call the Rav back or have someone do it for you. I hope you have the support you need and can leave before shabbos. Refuah Shleima!

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, I am in the hospital now.

Refuah shleima.

Would you be comfortable providing your name for tehillim? (I've promised to do more tehillim this year. You would be helping me out to let me do this.)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:48 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
So sorry to hear…
But now I’m wondering. Is 6 oz of food and 6 oz of drink an hour not enough to keep a person hydrated?

Not really if you get dehydrated easily. I am also taking numerous medications that make me need to be extra careful with hydration. Also I slept half the day so I wasn’t drinking the whole day.
I am still weak, 3 weeks after major surgery and then infection post surgery.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:58 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
In a "machmir" rav's defense, I think sometimes they think everyone knows when it's crossed a line to being beyond a shaila, so they view their strict response with that in mind (oh, well, a person will know if they are really sick/weak to go beyond shiurim, won't they?). Unfortunately, that's not helpful for the asker to understand where the lines actually are and how do deal with things as they are happening.

So this is the problem, and it’s happened before. By the time I get to the point of vomitting I typically can’t keep anything down so shiurim don’t help because I drink a little and then throw it right up and just get worse . The whole point of shiurim is supposed to be to prevent that from happening.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:08 pm
I'm in early pregnancy and wake up already dehydrated every morning. I need to drink a ton in the mornings for a few hours until I feel a bit better. YK was really hard and today is not much better.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:08 pm
watergirl wrote:
I am so sorry. I know we all tend to doubt ourselves on a day like YK. In the future, once you are unable to stand unassisted and so dizzy, its time to break the fast as per your drs directions. HKBH loves you and does not want this.

Thanks! Yeah by the time I got to that point, any drinking was followed by immediate vomitting and just making me feel worse.
Anyways, I am in the hospital now. They will probably keep me for a couple days till my vitals are more stable again. My blood sugar was down to 29 and my blood pressure was also dangerously low. Going to be a fun Shabbos.
My doctor was chilled, she kind of jokingly told me I am in trouble when I called her but she understands what happened.
Just as a side point, my doctor is frum.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Rabbonim shouldn't be giving medical advice period, unless they are an MD.

Or a NP or PA. Or at the very least an experienced RN.

hardworking mom

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:13 pm
I think a rav is like a dr you have to check them out to make sure their good also not all ravs can answer all shailos they have to know what their talking about.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:16 pm
I am sorry OP. In such cases, I would have the rav & doctor communicate with each others.

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:31 pm
In general, my father who is a Rav who is so machmir on many different things, is meikil for people in this area because 99% of people are scared to break their fast and he doesn't want his mispallelim ending up in the hospital because of this. I'm wondering if this is a young Rav with not so much experience. Please do not ask this rav your fasting shailos again!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:36 pm
dankbar wrote:
I am sorry OP. In such cases, I would have the rav & doctor communicate with each others.

So our usual Rav has done this before with talking to the doctor.
In this case our rav had told us to wait till the day before to be in touch with him since when we spoke the week before Yom Kippur I was just discharged and we didn’t know how fast / slow my recovery would be. Then the day before Yom Kippur we weren’t able to reach him.
Mistake made and hopefully it won’t happen again.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 2:40 pm
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
In general, my father who is a Rav who is so machmir on many different things, is meikil for people in this area because 99% of people are scared to break their fast and he doesn't want his mispallelim ending up in the hospital because of this. I'm wondering if this is a young Rav with not so much experience. Please do not ask this rav your fasting shailos again!

This rav who we asked is actually in his 60’s and a big community rav.
The only dan lekaf zechus I can think of is that he didn’t understand my medical condition. It’s not really something you would typically explain in 5 minutes since it’s a combination of chronic illnesses, with recovering from emergency lung surgery, and then post surgical infection. Each thing on its own wouldnt have made it such a big deal to fast (I typically do shiurim for drinking) but the combination, plus my weakened state made a big difference.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:38 pm
Refuah Shlaima. How are you feeling?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 8:44 pm
Lousy but starting to get some strength back. Hopefully going home tomorrow.

hardworking mom

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 9:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lousy but starting to get some strength back. Hopefully going home tomorrow.

good! so youll be home for yom tov!

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 9:16 pm
I found out I was expecting Erev RH one year due to continuous vomiting. By Erev YK I was feeling quite weak and not keeping anything down. My Dr said not to fast as he didn't want me in the ER on IV. The Rov said to fast just in the evening and once I wake up to have shiurim of liquid every 9 minutes. He said I should take a cup and see what is the max amount I can swallow in one gulp. It had to be measured before YK. If the shiur isn't enough then I can take that amount. If at any point I would feel close to feeling faint or starting to get dehydrated, I should skip shiurim and drink and eat as necessary.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur