Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
5 year old doesn't stop talking
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:28 pm
I know it's normal but she literally doesn't stop. I joke that shes a news reporter. What kind of limits is normal or ok to make around that.

I e. Mommy now I'm making the head, here's the dress... Look at this.. She did this.. He did that..Sometimes when I tell her I really need quiet and I ignore her she will play for 30 minutes. Other times it's non stop chatter.

Stars

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:30 pm
That’s the kid you got. Deal with it, Don’t try to change her.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:37 pm
It's also ok to tell her you're not able to respond to her right now, then don't.

Obv try to respond when you can, but if you feel you can't because your brain will explode, or you're busy with something else for the next 20 minutes and can't listen, that's fine.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:40 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
It's also ok to tell her you're not able to respond to her right now, then don't.

Obv try to respond when you can, but if you feel you can't because your brain will explode, or you're busy with something else for the next 20 minutes and can't listen, that's fine.

That's what I want to know. What kind of rules can I make around this?

5 minutes of Mommy not answering? Or can I do it for longer? And how many times a day? She's on the one hand very clingy and chatty and loves company. And on the other hand she is one of 2 so she really does get lonely ..

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:42 pm
Stars wrote:
That’s the kid you got. Deal with it, Don’t try to change her.

Where did I say that I'm trying to change her? I want to know what kind of limits I can make around my availability.

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:45 pm
I tell my kids I need to work or do whatever and we are having some quiet time. It's ok to not be available 24/7 as long as you do carve out some listening time.

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's what I want to know. What kind of rules can I make around this?

5 minutes of Mommy not answering? Or can I do it for longer? And how many times a day? She's on the one hand very clingy and chatty and loves company. And on the other hand she is one of 2 so she really does get lonely ..

As much as you need as long as she gets attention too

jewishmom6

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:49 pm
yup, have this with my 4 yr old.
she doesnt stop moving and talking. and...she needs me every sec for something else.

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:53 pm
I have a daughter who doesn't stop talking. She's extremely observant and notices things most people don't. And she talks all day!

I can't imagine what she'll be like as a teenager...

But yeah, if I can talk to her, I do. If it doesn't work cuz I'm too busy I won't answer. (No issue, she happily talks to herself too!)

Don't worry so much. You do your best and that's it.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:58 pm
Make a timer when she's not allowed to talk.
Learning to be quiet is an important skill.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:01 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
I have a daughter who doesn't stop talking. She's extremely observant and notices things most people don't. And she talks all day!

I can't imagine what she'll be like as a teenager...

But yeah, if I can talk to her, I do. If it doesn't work cuz I'm too busy I won't answer. (No issue, she happily talks to herself too!)

Don't worry so much. You do your best and that's it.

Yes exactly. Except she she gets mad when I am not available. Especially if I'm on the phone. She wants me to read to her, make her rides, play with her...

honeymoon

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:27 pm
This is me. I was even thinking of starting a thread asking for advice. Its hard because I want them to enjoy sharing with me but on the other hand they sometimes talk and talk without coming up for air, that I feel like gritting my teeth in frustration.

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:34 pm
I have one who is/was like that. It would take her longer to tell me about her day in preschool than she actually spent there.
Honestly, she is now 20 and my greatest joy.

You can tell her that mommy is unavailable until the timer rings and she can either tell her stuffed animal or wait to share it with you after the timer rings. She feels secure, important, and that you care about her and her day. It may be annoying to you as the mom, but as the mother of children who are all older, it really is a bracha.
May she continue to tell you about everything aspect of her life. It can be extremely draining, but you will never worry about where she is and who she is hanging out with.

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:37 pm
If I'm in the middle of something and really can't focus on what I'm doing (ex: making dinner) I will tell him that I'm not able to listen to him and make dinner at the same time so if he wants me to be able to hear what he is saying he's going to have to wait until I'm finished. Then when I'm done with whatever it was I was doing I make sure to let him know that now I'm finished and he has my attention and I ask him what it is he wanted to tell me.

Also sometimes my head just feels like it's going to explode and I just need a bit of quiet and I let him know that I need a bit of quiet and that we're going to have quiet time now. I try not to do that often.

Oh and also when I'm using the bathroom there's a rule no talking to me unless it's an emergency.

I just keep reminding myself that it's a blessing he wants to share EVERYTHING with me. I think it's totally fine to say that you need quiet time for a bit just try not to do it too often and just say it in a way that isn't hurtful. The key is that they shouldn't feel like you are annoyed with them.

I hope ours continue to always want to talk so much to us Smile

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know it's normal but she literally doesn't stop. I joke that shes a news reporter. What kind of limits is normal or ok to make around that.

I e. Mommy now I'm making the head, here's the dress... Look at this.. She did this.. He did that..Sometimes when I tell her I really need quiet and I ignore her she will play for 30 minutes. Other times it's non stop chatter.

None. None at all. It’s annoying but too bad.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes exactly. Except she she gets mad when I am not available. Especially if I'm on the phone. She wants me to read to her, make her rides, play with her...

That I do put limits on. But I’d never tell a kid she’s not allowed to talk.

amother
NeonPink

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:52 pm
OP, my daughter is 10 and she hasn't stopped talking since she's 1 years old.......

honeymoon

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:52 pm
Zehava wrote:
That I do put limits on. But I’d never tell a kid she’s not allowed to talk.

How do you handle a highly intelligent kid who needs to explain to you how airplanes fly and why ships don't sink and which animals live off other animals etc etc? I'm proud of the kids knowledge and love of learning but listening and showing interest all the time, all day every day, gets really tiring.

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:55 pm
you would never tell a child that they have to be quiet? I find it very hard to concentrate with constant chattering, if I need to focus on the road my kids know I need them to be silent. Other times they know that I can't respond to them. It takes a lot of brain power for me to process and respond if I'm trying to do something else I can't be processing and responding to their chatter. I'm human and I have my limitations. I also can't process when they are all talking at once.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 1:57 pm
honeymoon wrote:
How do you handle a highly intelligent kid who needs to explain to you how airplanes fly and why ships don't sink and which animals live off other animals etc etc? I'm proud of the kids knowledge and love of learning but listening and showing interest all the time, all day every day, gets really tiring.

I don’t always fully listen. Sometimes I tell them I can’t respond right now because I’m tired, I’m doing something etc. so I tell them I don’t have the energy to talk much right now but they can talk if they want to. I’ll make some listening noises like hmmm, aha… I have one kid who has no problem just talking even when they know I’m not fully listening.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics