Home

Feeding Therapists- My 18 month old won't eat, what to do?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:09 pm
Title says it all, what do I do? She only eats fruit, barely. Only likes milk and formula, juice.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Back to top

amother




Poinsettia
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:11 pm
Is it possibly a tongue tie?
Back to top

amother




NeonPurple
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:20 pm
Have you tried dropping the bottles? If there are no medical issues, most children will start eating if they are hungry. If they are filled up with formula, there's no need for them to try new foods.
Back to top

SYA




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:23 pm
What city and state?

Is the child gaining weight? Making the range of sounds?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:24 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
Is it possibly a tongue tie?

Never thought of that, who could check that?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:25 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
Have you tried dropping the bottles? If there are no medical issues, most children will start eating if they are hungry. If they are filled up with formula, there's no need for them to try new foods.

I'm scared of dropping since it's the only thing she takes. A bit of background, she used to be very interested in our food and then she stopped.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:26 pm
SYA wrote:
What city and state?

Is the child gaining weight? Making the range of sounds?

No, not gaining and lost a bit of weight. She speaks a variety of words. Brooklyn, NY.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:26 pm
Have you taken your baby to see a pediatrician? Her doctor should be aware of things like that.

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Have you taken your baby to see a pediatrician? Her doctor should be aware of things like that.

He mentioned she lost weight and advised on what foods to eat, but she doesn't want anything, and when she eats it's only very little and fruit, doesn't take protein or anything more substantial. Sad
Back to top

amother




Clematis
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:27 pm
Is she eating different textures? At around the same age my daughter only wanted softer foods. She was in intense feeding therapy and we weren’t seeing that much progress. Turns out, her tonsils were touching each other and no foods of tougher textures could get past! Tonsil surgery was a game changer in our case…
Back to top

thegiver




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:28 pm
My friend had this issue. There's a book called it's not about the broccoli. In it she says keep offering, role model the eating by everyone sitting around the table and eating together , offer tiny portions pea size drops, make sure not to make it a control issue by commenting and focusing on it. Protect the hunger by not offering a bottle for an hour before the meal. And of course daaven and cry to Hashem
Back to top

amother




Poinsettia
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:30 pm
If she used to be more interested, maybe its a food allergy that’s bothering her
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He mentioned she lost weight and advised on what foods to eat, but she doesn't want anything, and when she eats it's only very little and fruit, doesn't take protein or anything more substantial. Sad


I just thought of something. Check to see if the molars are coming in. Sometimes they all come in at once, and they HURT! The poor thing could be starving, but in too much pain to chew on anything.

Try giving soft, mashed up foods, and things like yogurt. She may be happy to eat if she doesn't have to risk hurting her gums.

If all goes well, once the teeth have popped through, she'll be eating you out of house and home in no time. Very Happy
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:33 pm
She rejects soft foods, only wants to feed herself and once in a blue moon allows us to feed her with a spoon! Really only fruit l and the amount she eats is like half of a fruit cup.
Anyone know of any good feeding Therapists in Brooklyn, preferably around Flatbush and Midwood?
Back to top

amother




Maple
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:34 pm
I would have the doctor check for strep
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:34 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I just thought of something. Check to see if the molars are coming in. Sometimes they all come in at once, and they HURT! The poor thing could be starving, but in too much pain to chew on anything.

Try giving soft, mashed up foods, and things like yogurt. She may be happy to eat if she doesn't have to risk hurting her gums.

If all goes well, once the teeth have popped through, she'll be eating you out of house and home in no time. Very Happy

Molars are coming in! Maybe it's that? I think she's hungry like she will see food and say mmm but then she'll throw the food on the floor!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:38 pm
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
I would have the doctor check for strep

Good idea
Back to top

SYA




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:45 pm
Please check for tongue tie. My child was diagnosed by an ENT at 18 months. The pediatrician did not see it.
It affected what the child ate, like textures and weight gain too. We used Dr Scott Rickert at NYU.

A great feeding therapist is Alonna Bondar.
She is the top. I know many who were so happy with her.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Sep 18 2021, 11:57 pm
SYA wrote:
Please check for tongue tie. My child was diagnosed by an ENT at 18 months. The pediatrician did not see it.
It affected what the child ate, like textures and weight gain too. We used Dr Scott Rickert at NYU.

A great feeding therapist is Alonna Bondar.
She is the top. I know many who were so happy with her.

Thank you! I'll look into them, this is very helpful. Visually by what I saw online, she shouldn't have a tongue tie but who knows.
Back to top

amother




Razzmatazz
 

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:01 am
FYI, my son had his tonsils and adenoids removed due to picky eating and I didn’t see much of a change. I’m wondering if it’s possible the ENT didn’t pick up on a tongue tie?
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health

Related Topics Replies Last Post
20 month old super constipated 😟
by top mom
34 Sun, Oct 24 2021, 10:11 am View last post
Pros and cons of getting my 9 month old’s ears pierced
by amother
28 Thu, Oct 21 2021, 6:59 am View last post
by bsy
Question for speech therapists
by amother
10 Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:53 am View last post
What did you eat for dinner tonight? 49 Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:47 am View last post
Sleep train a 12 month old?
by amother
13 Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:03 am View last post