Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is it ok to tell cleaning lady not to come next 2 weeks?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:32 pm
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
I work a minimum wage job fully on the books and wouldnt afford half those things that the cleaning ladies can afford on their fully cash job so not sure why anyone would feel bad for them. Remember that they send their kids to public school for free so they dont have much expenses other than rent and some food (which many get at food banks for free as well). And their husbands work cash jobs as well so they get double income, no taxes, free tuition, and other benefits that an American citizen like myself doesnt get.
Not sure why anyone feels bad for them (especially if they get free transportation and free food at the job and clothing which many people give their cleaning ladies, etc).

Im not going to make assumptions about how these women deal with their under the table income, but neither should you. Just because employers pay off the books doesn’t mean that they don’t report their income. I worked for years getting paid cash and still reported it when I filed my taxes each year.

If it bothers you to have illegal immigrants getting benefits you wouldn’t get- then don’t support it. Hire someone who is legal, and pay them on the books. Technically what you are doing is illegal just so you can reap the benefits of a tax free employee with a cheaper salary, so why does it bother you that they benefit from that situation as well?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 11:49 pm
Some cleaning ladies live in bad neighborhoods with poor public schools so they actually do pay to send their kids to a private school (usually a Catholic school not a fancy prep one). They do see it as a necessity, they want their kids to get a decent education in a safe environment.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:01 am
You're allowed to have a cleaning lady on yom tov so maybe ask a shaila?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 3:41 pm
I don't pay for days that I cancel. However, I treat them very well and every few weeks I send them with a little gift, such as bath bombs, fashion jewelry, home decor, or perfumes, in addition to their regular pay which usually includes a few dollars extra. I serve them a nice lunch too.
What I do do is, when I need to cancel, I ask her if she'd like me to find her another job for that day. I usually end up finding a replacement job for her.

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 4:36 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I have prejudices and biases against Jews? Babes, I am a Jew. And one who is sick and tired of accusations by people like you who don't have the guts to post their nasty trash under their own names. Hashem knows who you are.

My cleaning help was a US citizen who was paid by 1099.

If your cleaning help got paid on a 1099 she had to pay all the taxes.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 5:09 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
If your cleaning help got paid on a 1099 she had to pay all the taxes.

Yes.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics