Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby refuses to nap
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 9:51 pm
WWYD?
I follow wake windows for her age (shes 8 months- I wrote shes almost 7 months typo**!!)
the past few days she refuses to take her afternoon nap. so then she goes from 12 pm until 5 pm awake, shes exhausted, and takes a 2 hour nap from 5 pm-7 pm and then it messes up the whole rest of the night

plz help me!

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:30 pm
What does it mean that she refuses to nap?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:31 pm
Napping 5 to 7 means she should be able to go to bed at 10pm for the night. What's wrong with that? Is she cranky during the day?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:32 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
What does it mean that she refuses to nap?

shell start laughing and waving her hands and smiling at anyone who looks at her
she started blowing raspberries with her hands and just babbling in her crib.
she isnt crying, but shes talking
after 30 mins of talking to herself she'll start crying

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:34 pm
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
Napping 5 to 7 means she should be able to go to bed at 10pm for the night. What's wrong with that? Is she cranky during the day?

take today for example...
she went down this morning from 10-12 and following wake windows and her cues I tried to put her down at 3 pm. she was rubbing her eyes and yawning so I put her down. she then started laughing and sucking on her fingers and wagging her head side to side and would not go to sleep. so she fell asleep in my fathers arms at 5 pm (she was awake from noon until 5). she woke up at 7. I fed her some supper, she looked really tired by 8 so I put her to bed. she fell asleep and woke up at 9:30 wide awake and babbling

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:36 pm
When you say wake windows do you mean not awake for more than 1.5-2 hours?

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
shell start laughing and waving her hands and smiling at anyone who looks at her
she started blowing raspberries with her hands and just babbling in her crib.
she isnt crying, but shes talking
after 30 mins of talking to herself she'll start crying

And then what? She starts crying and you do what?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:38 pm
When you say wake windows do you mean not awake for more than 1.5-2 hours?

im referring to the time my baby can stay awake between naps without being under- or overtired
for her age her wake windows are 2.50-3 hours long. some days she doesnt even make it to 2.5 hours

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:39 pm
And then what? She starts crying and you do what?

I go in, make sure she isnt wet, or cold or needs to be burped.
I really try not to let her CIO. but I dont know what to do with this situation and how to handle it.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:40 pm
I would try pushing it off a little. Try 3:30/3:45

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:42 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
I would try pushing it off a little. Try 3:30/3:45

my husband was trying from 3-4 to put her down
so it doesnt even make a difference Sad
this happened today and yesterday

Sb1234

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:43 pm
12-3 is a long wake window. If she’s already rubbing her eyes then she should have been put to sleep earlier.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
take today for example...
she went down this morning from 10-12 and following wake windows and her cues I tried to put her down at 3 pm. she was rubbing her eyes and yawning so I put her down. she then started laughing and sucking on her fingers and wagging her head side to side and would not go to sleep. so she fell asleep in my fathers arms at 5 pm (she was awake from noon until 5). she woke up at 7. I fed her some supper, she looked really tired by 8 so I put her to bed. she fell asleep and woke up at 9:30 wide awake and babbling

If she wakes up at 7 you shouldn't put her down for the night until at least 9 or 10.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:47 pm
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
If she wakes up at 7 you shouldn't put her down for the night until at least 9 or 10.

thx, but in this situation what would you have done bc she was falling asleep in my arms at 8 and rubbing her eyes...? I put her down but then she woke up at 9:30!
my husband has been with her until now singing to her and feeding her and she just settled at 10:45 pm...

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
im referring to the time my baby can stay awake between naps without being under- or overtired
for her age her wake windows are 2.50-3 hours long. some days she doesnt even make it to 2.5 hours

Interesting. For that age I absolutely still do 2 hour wake window. I still do 2 hour wake window for my 12 month old. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t fight it and cry (why is crying called CIO? It’s just crying) but he needs the sleep. Some days if the naps are short (under and hour) we get 3 naps and if the naps are long (1-2 hours) we do 2.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:50 pm
Interesting. For that age I absolutely still do 2 hour wake window. I still do 2 hour wake window for my 12 month old. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t fight it and cry (why is crying called CIO? It’s just crying) but he needs the sleep. Some days if the naps are short (under and hour) we get 3 naps and if the naps are long (1-2 hours) we do 2.

your 12 mo old can only stay awake for 2 hours?
I was told to cut out my babys 3rd nap of the day by 6 months... only this week did she drop it

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:50 pm
false alarm Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
shes in bed singing to herself and making gargling sounds

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thx, but in this situation what would you have done bc she was falling asleep in my arms at 8 and rubbing her eyes...? I put her down but then she woke up at 9:30!
my husband has been with her until now singing to her and feeding her and she just settled at 10:45 pm...

Probably not held her in my arms. Maybe bathed her. My baby is 7 months too and she has a nap in the morning from about 10 to 11:30 and then a nap in the afternoon from 3 to 5. She goes to bed at 7pm for 11 or 12 hours. She does wake around 10pm and 5am and babbles nicely or sometimes needs some cuddling then.

At 7 months they usually have 2 naps of around 2 hours and sleep around 11 or 12 hours a night. What does her night look like if she is sleeping so much during the day?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
false alarm Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
shes in bed singing to herself and making gargling sounds

That's ok. Why is that a problem?

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
your 12 mo old can only stay awake for 2 hours?
I was told to cut out my babys 3rd nap of the day by 6 months... only this week did she drop it

What does that mean ‘you were told’? Told by whom?

He CAN stay awake for longer. But he is not pleasant. He’s Irritable and tired. Sometimes it gets stretched to closer to 3 hours but it’s not pretty. I have no problem deferring to him and his needs.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics