Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Chol hamoed and working
1  2  Next

ahuva96

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:15 am
Anyone else work expect them to work on chol hamoed??

singleagain

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:19 am
Yup

hodeez

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:22 am
Yup

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:24 am
Lol of course! BH I have an employeR that Needs me to work!

Last edited by amother on Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:24 am
Lol of course! BH I have an employeR that Needs me to work!

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:26 am
Everyone who doesn’t work for a frum employer and some who do. The world doesn’t revolve around Orthodox Jews. Given that the Orthodox world doesn’t have enough jobs to go around, more observant Jews work for secular employers than work for observant ones, and yes, those secular employers “expect” their employees to work on chol hamoed. If an employee has enough leave accruals to take off and can get approval, well and good. If an employee has insufficient accruals or can’t get the ok—think of a hospital nurse, for example, whose shifts are set many weeks in advance and can’t find anyone willing to trade shifts—then that person works on chol hamoed. Why is that so hard to understand?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:27 am
no, I wish.
I havent worked since june last year.
im a speech therapist for YVY

havent gotten a paycheck in months

bh you can work

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:32 am
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
no, I wish.

bh you can work

You can work too. Why don't you get a salaried position, like for the doe or a special Ed school?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:35 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
You can work too. Why don't you get a salaried position, like for the doe or a special Ed school?

Very hard to find a salaried SLP position. And the DOE up until a few weeks ago had a hiring freeze.

Im also finishing up my CFY and I can not work anywhere else because of my paperwork.

Clearly if I could work I would lol. I go back after the chagim.

ETA: my post was to show that its a zechus to work now during chol hamoed. many others are not as fortunate

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:04 am
I live in Israel, where the the country is celebrating Sukkot, and I'm working. Only half day, though, and yesterday I took off.

Since half the Egged bus drivers also seem to be taking time off, I'm currently five minutes late, and I'm looking at another ten minutes before I get there.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 1:23 am
I usually try to get as much as possible off during CM, also because of the kids, but sometimes, I have to work a day here or there. My part time job is B"H relatively flexible in terms of hours and days.They wanted me to come in next Sunday and Monday, but I haggled it down to Sunday only. Monday is erev chag and hoshana rabba after all. I did work a few hours on erev sukkot itself, though. Have to be back at work on issru chag (in Israel), Wednesday.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:59 am
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:
Everyone who doesn’t work for a frum employer and some who do. The world doesn’t revolve around Orthodox Jews. Given that the Orthodox world doesn’t have enough jobs to go around, more observant Jews work for secular employers than work for observant ones, and yes, those secular employers “expect” their employees to work on chol hamoed. If an employee has enough leave accruals to take off and can get approval, well and good. If an employee has insufficient accruals or can’t get the ok—think of a hospital nurse, for example, whose shifts are set many weeks in advance and can’t find anyone willing to trade shifts—then that person works on chol hamoed. Why is that so hard to understand?

Even frum employers make some frum workers work on chol hamoed. When I had my first job for a frum office, I was sure that I'd get off for chol hamoed, but majority of the workers got permission to take off for chol hamoed while my "boss"(a young 23 year old woman a few yrs older than me) forced me to work on chol hamoed bec she went away to israel for the entire Tom tov and "needed" me to take over. That's discrimination letting some ppl off and not others. . ...I couldn't even do her job bec I wasnt trained, and my job was just filing papers/data entry which could've waited until after yom tov so...

Meanwhile, now I have a real job and work for nonyehudim, I cant take off chol hamoed, but neither does anyone else.

Yes, I'm working chol hamoed and erev yomtov/shabbos.. its hard... it's also hard to "be happy" when my boss pressures me...I wish I can be off all of succos.. but no..

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 7:04 am
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
Even frum employers make some frum workers work on chol hamoed. When I had my first job for a frum office, I was sure that I'd get off for chol hamoed, but majority of the workers got permission to take off for chol hamoed while my "boss"(a young 23 year old woman a few yrs older than me) forced me to work on chol hamoed bec she went away to israel for the entire Tom tov and "needed" me to take over. That's discrimination letting some ppl off and not others. . ...I couldn't even do her job bec I wasnt trained, and my job was just filing papers/data entry which could've waited until after yom tov so...

This doesn't sound like discrimination, this sounds more like worker seniority getting first pick of days off, and the newcomers having to work their way up to that point. Very normal in the workplace.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 7:09 am
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
Even frum employers make some frum workers work on chol hamoed. When I had my first job for a frum office, I was sure that I'd get off for chol hamoed, but majority of the workers got permission to take off for chol hamoed while my "boss"(a young 23 year old woman a few yrs older than me) forced me to work on chol hamoed bec she went away to israel for the entire Tom tov and "needed" me to take over. That's discrimination letting some ppl off and not others. . ...I couldn't even do her job bec I wasnt trained, and my job was just filing papers/data entry which could've waited until after Yom tov

I don't think limiting the amount of people who can take off is discrimination. If the policy is to close the office, everyone is off. If the office stays open, some people have to be there. Unfortunately, the newest employee is often the one getting the worst hours. Over time it evens out.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:03 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
no, I wish.

bh you can work

Why don't u file for unemployment

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:10 pm
I'm working

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:10 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
Why don't u file for unemployment

long story.... I have since I stopped working and ive been filing a claim every week but havent gotten a $1. I call unemployment at least 3x a day since july and the automated response goes "We are experiencing a high number of callers. please try your call later" it is soooo maddening!

bh bh I got through to someone today but he said that ill receive benefits in 2 weeks... whateva

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 7:03 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Unfortunately, the newest employee is often the one getting the worst hours. Over time it evens out.

It's called "paying your dues." If you frequently change employers you can end up paying dues over and over. If you stay with one employer for a long time, you eventually achieve a level of seniority that entitles you to first or second choice when it comes to time off while the newbies still paying their dues pull the undesirable shifts.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:01 pm
Yes. I don't usually have enough PTO to take chol hamoed. IYH I get more PTO next year, and at some point my youngest can be home alone on days off school or snow days--so maybe at some point I'll start to be able to take Chol HaMoed off.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:11 pm
I worked today and will be working tomorrow . I will be calling my rav to see if I’m even allowed to use the money I earn or if I need to give it all to tzedaka.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics