Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Why is there no cheder today?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 11:59 am
Some chedarim used to have cheder years ago, why did they stop?

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:01 pm
There as never officially cheder on chol hamoed. They had a special program for an hour or 2 and it was optional to attend. Whoever went, got to go on a trip the last day. Some chedarim still have it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:04 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
There as never officially cheder on chol hamoed. They had a special program for an hour or 2 and it was optional to attend. Whoever went, got to go on a trip the last day. Some chedarim still have it.

Depends on the cheder. I think many parents would want to send their kids. I am going to make a poll to see what other imas say.

rising hero

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Some chedarim used to have cheder years ago, why did they stop?

You're talking about 50-60 years ago.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Depends on the cheder. I think many parents would want to send their kids. I am going to make a poll to see what other imas say.

Even if parents would want to send kids, why should kids want to go? And why should staff work? It's yom tov. It's family time. Time to be home. Figure out how to entertain your kids instead of wanting to send them to school on yom tov.

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:24 pm
Why do you want to send your kids to school on yom tov?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Why? Because they value learning so much or because they don't want their kids on their heads?

I would keep my kids off even if they did have school. They have enough school as it is. No way is it in their best interests to go on Chol Hamoed.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:33 pm
Chol hamoed is family time. I've never heard of kids having cheder/school on chol hamoed!

Zehava

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:33 pm
There are already enough days when only the boys have cheder and the girls are off. Let the kids breathe a bit.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:34 pm
From what I remember it was more of an entertaining/program day. Stories, a play or a trip. I do think there are still some chedarim who offer this.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:36 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Why? Because they value learning so much or because they don't want their kids on their heads?

I would keep my kids off even if they did have school. They have enough school as it is. No way is it in their best interests to go on Chol Hamoed.

For some families it may work out better if they have let’s say a bunch of big girls to do a girl day trip and meanwhile the boys are at a program, not hefker. I can see this working out well in a year with chol hamoed all week.

Success10

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:36 pm
Here in E"Y there are some chadarim that have optional cheder. The boys generally love it and want to go. I would send my boys if we had. They suffer terribly from lack of structure, even just two weeks of it.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

Interesting
Where I live we send our kids to PS activities or the library because we all have to work

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:40 pm
My community has a morning learning program that's optional for boys, not at any school. Other communities can do this too. Win win. No need to force rabbeim to stay local and not visit family out of town so there can be a learning program at school...

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 12:40 pm
My community ran a nice program this summer. Shacharis, breakfast and learning from 8:45-11. My son LOVED it. If someone wanted to run something similar I think plenty of kids and parents would enjoy and then the afternoon is for family time. I think a full school day is a bit much.

My son was in a therapeutic school for a year that ran on the public school calendar and I never sent him on chol ha moed or days like purim. I wanted him to feel that its yomtov.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:27 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
For some families it may work out better if they have let’s say a bunch of big girls to do a girl day trip and meanwhile the boys are at a program, not hefker. I can see this working out well in a year with chol hamoed all week.

IOW it is more convenient for them not to have to deal with their sons. Nothing to do with valuing learning or believing it is in their son's best interest to be in school

As I expected that it is the only sentiment given on this and the other thread about sending kids to school on Chol Hamoed

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:31 pm
Boys who truly want to learn can sit themselves down in a shul and learn. Cheder is not a babysitting service.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:33 pm
I thought that the schools that used to have school over chol hamoed did it because not all the kids had succos in their homes.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:34 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
Boys who truly want to learn can sit themselves down in a shul and learn. Cheder is not a babysitting service.

There are many boys who are learning now and certainly bocherim are learning.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 2:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There are many boys who are learning now and certainly bocherim are learning.

Precisely my point. My boys used to learn before or after a chol hamoed trip. Or during bein hazmanim. In shul with friends.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics