Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Why is there no cheder today?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:11 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
Precisely my point. My boys used to learn before or after a chol hamoed trip. Or during bein hazmanim. In shul with friends.

Hard for the 3-9 yr old age group.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:53 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
IOW it is more convenient for them not to have to deal with their sons. Nothing to do with valuing learning or believing it is in their son's best interest to be in school

As I expected that it is the only sentiment given on this and the other thread about sending kids to school on Chol Hamoed

Totally not my point. But ok, if you want to prove an agenda fine.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:57 pm
Madam F. wrote:
You're talking about 50-60 years ago.

My brothers went to “chol hamoed cheder” when they were little. This was 10-20? Years ago. Satmar willi.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, that would be hard.
I would say 9/10 and up, depending on the child.
But the 3-8 yr olds that I know would not want to go.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 7:03 pm
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
My brothers went to “chol hamoed cheder” when they were little. This was 10-20? Years ago. Satmar willi.

But it was optional and not with the regular melamdim.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 7:04 pm
It wasn’t so common for every family to have a succah. so young boys would sometimes stay and eat at home with their mothers while their fathers ate in the succah
Going to school often meant eating lunch in the school sukkah. And was an essential part of chinuch.
These days it isn’t so applicable.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

3-9 year olds don't need to learn on Chol Hamoed in a structured setting. You can review their homework with them for 15 minutes instead.
If you can't handle a few days off why are you having kids? LOL

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 7:48 pm
What I was referring to was half day for boys and girls.
Instead of cheder for the boys today, there are learning programs in most communities.

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 7:58 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
It wasn’t so common for every family to have a succah. so young boys would sometimes stay and eat at home with their mothers while their fathers ate in the succah
Going to school often meant eating lunch in the school sukkah. And was an essential part of chinuch.
These days it isn’t so applicable.

Right, I actually work in a school that is still like this. It's an Orthodox day school but many kids come from traditional, not necessarily shomer shabbos homes. We had school today, this way the kids all were able to do lulav and esrog + eat in the sukkah. Most wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity.

sub

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:06 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
3-9 year olds don't need to learn on Chol Hamoed in a structured setting. You can review their homework with them for 15 minutes instead.
If you can't handle a few days off why are you having kids?
this part of your comment was not necessary.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:25 pm
sub wrote:
this part of your comment was not necessary.

Actually I think it sums up this kind of thread very accurately.
No need to say it is unnecessary because you don't like to hear the truth.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:28 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:

I can handle the children, I thought it would be nice for them to have structure with friends.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can handle the children, I thought it would be nice for them to have structure with friends.

What's nice for them is to spend time with their family on yom tov. They have structure with friends year round.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

180~ days a year isn’t enough?

sub

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 8:37 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:

You can say the same thing without being mean. The nasty swipes at others are not necessary.
I am way past raising children. I loved having them at home. And I can state my opinion or knowledge in a polite manner.

Last edited by sub on Thu, Sep 23 2021, 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 9:31 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
If you can't handle a few days off why are you having kids?

I was waiting for someone to post this. Happens every time. Well, I guess those of us working parents who are juggling this impossible Tishrei schedule and our families should have never had children. Alright then.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 9:35 pm
amother [ Cadetblue ] wrote:
I was waiting for someone to post this. Happens every time. Well, I guess those of us working parents who are juggling this impossible Tishrei schedule and our families should have never had children. Alright then.

If you work on chol hamoed, make arrangements for the kids instead of complaining that there should be school on yom tov. Schools aren't babysitting service and aren't responsible for our work schedules. And OP didn't say she works, she just wants her kids in school for the structure.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 9:40 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
If you work on chol hamoed, make arrangements for the kids instead of complaining that there should be school on yom tov. And OP didn't say she works, she just wants her kids in school for the structure.

I love this, "make arrangements." What are these mythical arrangements that everyone seems to figure out so easily and quickly? No grandparents, no aunts and cousins, kids too young to be on their own, no one around here babysits on chol hamoed because they're on trips. Obviously I end up making arrangements because the kids aren't in school and work is still going. But this attitude of "if it's so hard for you to make arrangements for your kids for a few days then don't have kids" is just mind blowing to me.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 9:42 pm
amother [ Cadetblue ] wrote:
I love this, "make arrangements." What are these mythical arrangements that everyone seems to figure out so easily and quickly? No grandparents, no aunts and cousins, kids too young to be on their own, no one around here babysits on chol hamoed because they're on trips. Obviously I end up making arrangements because the kids aren't in school and work is still going. But this attitude of "if it's so hard for you to make arrangements for your kids for a few days then don't have kids" is just mind blowing to me.

Why is your lack of finding childcare arrangements the schools problem? Why is the school obligated to babysit your kids because you work on chol hamoed?
I never said don't have kids. But school isn't babysitting service and they're not responsible to watch your kids on yom tov because you're working. Childcare issues should be taken into account when taking a job.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 10:01 pm
come on! show your kids you love them. I know its a shtick to say "more school" but please think of your kids! I actually had a kid tell me straight out once ''my mommy doesnt like me because she always says she wants school to be longer" this was from a 4 year old! please remember what it was like for you would you have wanted more school?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics