Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you send your children to cheder/school chol hamoed?
Previous  1  2

Would you send your children to cheder/school chol hamoed if offered?
Yes!  
 24%  [ 48 ]
No, we like to have time as a family for trips or vacatiob  
 37%  [ 75 ]
No, I want them home now  
 10%  [ 21 ]
Yes, the boys but not the girls  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Yes, for a short program or some days  
 26%  [ 52 ]
Something else  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 200

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 6:42 pm
I know in America there are kiruv schools who have school chol hamoed to give the children succah and minim opportunities. If they are learning about Yom tov and having fun, I say yes.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 9:01 pm
Sesame wrote:
Chol hamoed is not a normal day. One would need to check with their lor what the problems may be. Ppl shouldn’t earn money chol hamoed (there are exceptions obviously) which would mean we are requiring teachers admin etc to all work on chm. One can’t write or do Divrei chol so it may be hard halachicly for schools to be open. I think in any line of business one has to check if they can require staff to work.
But honestly, have we really gotten to a stage where ppl think school needs to be open over yom tov?! Honestly shocked!

If the time is spent davening and learning Torah and learning about yom I’m tovim I can’t believe it’s assur.
Rabbanim are paid to give shiur and speak and teach and they do it on Shabbos and chol hamoed…
(Personally don’t want it)

My mother teachers in a traditional school snd goes in chol hamoed. It’s an amazing chance to teach about succos. A zechus to teach Torah. Nothing like being a cpa or lawyer. How can you compare teaching Torah to earning a living.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 9:16 pm
Sesame wrote:
Chol hamoed is not a normal day. One would need to check with their lor what the problems may be. Ppl shouldn’t earn money chol hamoed (there are exceptions obviously) which would mean we are requiring teachers admin etc to all work on chm. One can’t write or do Divrei chol so it may be hard halachicly for schools to be open. I think in any line of business one has to check if they can require staff to work.
But honestly, have we really gotten to a stage where ppl think school needs to be open over yom tov?! Honestly shocked!

Many people have to work on chol hamoed.

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 9:23 pm
Sesame wrote:

ESPECIALLY because of the holiness of Chol Hamoed there should be Torah learning for children on these days. There doesn't have to be writing, tests, or even worksheets.

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 9:33 pm
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
If the time is spent davening and learning Torah and learning about yom I’m tovim I can’t believe it’s assur.
Rabbanim are paid to give shiur and speak and teach and they do it on Shabbos and chol hamoed…
(Personally don’t want it)

My mother teachers in a traditional school snd goes in chol hamoed. It’s an amazing chance to teach about succos. A zechus to teach Torah. Nothing like being a cpa or lawyer. How can you compare teaching Torah to earning a living.

They can learn about sukkos before Yom Tov.

What are we reaching the kids about Yom tov and family time if we ship them off when it arrives.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

essie14

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 2:42 am
Absolutely not. We love spending family time together over chag.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 6:09 am
sorry, they have enough school during the year.
On chol hamoed we go out on trips and have a great time!!

amother
Midnight

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 6:21 am
I voted no. I have a son on the spectrum who has kaytana in his school on Chol Hamoed, and we choose to keep him home every year. Chol Hamoed is family time. (I will add that my son is not at all difficult and prefers to be home when all his siblings are home.)

chanchy123

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 6:39 am
If I was working and had small children of course I’d send them. My kids are a bit older now and I only work part time on Chol Hamoed and DH tries to be home too, so we make Chol Hamoed family time, but I think it’s great to have the option for younger kids.
I don’t see it necessary for kids who don’t need the babysitting.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 8:23 am
For those who say it'a assur to write, how are you writing now?
For those who would send only boys, would they resent going knowing tbeir sisters are home?
I felt burdened sometimes when all of my children were home and had a small baby and difficulty getting out, especially with no car.
For those who want to visit relatives, there's posibilities with Zoom.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 9:19 am
Many years ago, I went to an OOT school that had classes on chol hamoed Sukkos and it was wonderful! Before yom tov, we built and decorated the school sukkah, and learned halacha as we went. Saying Hallel together and having lunch in the school sukkah were memorable treats.

The school day was all learning and fun. Classes, both kodesh and chol, were all tied into the Chag. I'm pretty sure that we wore fancy clothing, not uniforms.

I think that the school had class because parents had to miss so much work just for yom tov. When you don't live in New York and work in an exclusively frum environment, your boss isn't that supportive of taking ten days off in a single month.

We didn't grow up with expectations of fancy outings, but we had a real sense of the special status of chol hamoed.

Could this be implemented now? I can't see teachers who have been given chol hamoed off for years being willing to return to the classroom.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 9:35 am
My kids used to go to a school that had school on chol hamoed. They barely learned anything, but I sent them until we started going away for sukkos and pesach.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 9:42 am
My husband and I would happily pay for chol hamoed day camp, if that was a thing.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 9:55 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
They can learn about sukkos before Yom Tov.

What are we reaching the kids about Yom tov and family time if we ship them off when it arrives.

For me it would be wrong.

By traditional I mean many families have no succah and no lulav and Esrog
If there was no school they would just go on along vacation.
This way they eat in a succah. Shake lulav and esrog. Participate in simchos yom tov.
My mother always felt it was a privilege yo teach chol hamoed. It was hard for us kids but we understood.

I was addressing the question of it being assur to teach on chol hamoed.
I don’t believe davening and learning would be assur to go to work to teach/lead
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics