Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Travel bed on plane?

rise above

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 12:31 pm
has anyone ever tried using a travel bed on the floor of the plane when flying with an infant without a seat? I read a site that recommended it, but I'm kind of sceptical that an airline would allow it? how safe is it?

in any case, I'm not paying for a seat for my baby, but the flight seems pretty empty and I think I could try my chances of having an empty seat. so the question is, do I bring along my car seat just in case? gate check it if there's no seat? issue is I also want to bring my stroller along (not my snap and go because he already doesnt like to sit in the car seat too much). so how can I get around airport with the stroller and the car seat and will they let me gate check both?

or, better yet, what have you done when flying with a infant (7 month old) without a paid seat?

pinktichel

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 12:49 pm
we just flew. We knew the seat btwn Dh and I was vacant, but the lady at the check-in desk didn't allow us to take the carseat on board because we did not purchase the seat.

Makes sense, but was still worth a try!

rise above

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 1:08 pm
so you checked it in? as is, or in a box?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 1:23 pm
planes bassinet- we used once we were in the front and it hooked up (baby 3 m). second time we weren't in front and they said we could put it on the floor by our feet. uncomfortable. They are small, so if you're baby is small for a 7 m lod, it should be fine
carseat- we brought it on the plane with us w/o a seat and they never gave us a problem. It's not fda approved so they didnt really let us use it for take off but landing they dont care as much.
stroller in the airport- no problem, they take it from you when you board and either have it there when you land or with your luggage. once they broke our stroller (they fixed it) and once we got it a lot after our luggage and through a fragile area or something like that.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 3:13 pm
I recently flew to Israel and ordered a bassinet for the ride. They don't cost extra and the best part is you get a bulkhead seat so you have extra leg room to go in and out. I think they go up until 9 months.
I can't say she slept in it the whole time, but it was nice to be able to put her in it here and there so I could have a break.

You have to call the airline about what you can bring to the gate regarding stroller/carseat. I was told that I would have to check both with my luggage- and they only let umbrella strollers to be checked at the gate. So beware!

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 3:20 pm
Bring your carseat to the gate. If there's an extra seat they'll let you use it even if you didn't buy a seat for the baby. If not, they'll check it at the gate.

MahPitom

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 7:13 pm
I have recently flown and I slept on the floor. Too bad they couldn’t say anything!

rise above

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 8:48 pm
I'm not flying overseas- though its a 6 hrs flights so there is no bassinet. I guess I'll call and find out about the car seat, but I'm more curious about bringing my own travel bed for the floor

pinktichel

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 10:29 pm
rise above wrote:
so you checked it in? as is, or in a box?

As was! LOL

SingALong

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 11:17 pm
I once tried to travel with the travel bed but it was two big, no room where to put it. it is also very flat, not soft enough for baby.
what I found was better was a traveling changing pad. it folded in half, was soft and comfy for baby, and the sides went up so baby stayed inside. it fit perfectly on the floor by my seat but I stayed up since I wanted to keep checkingif my baby was ik
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics