Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Story Supplements in the Yom Tov Magazines
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:49 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Mishpacha starts at page 126

You're forgetting the best part about the ridiculous amount of ads in these YT editions: The fact that each mag advertises heavily about their "Bonus YT edition" with XXX pages of reading material! Except that they forgot to tell you that most of this is ads Rolling Eyes

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:43 am
Wrong thread

mommy2379

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
By the way, I know the assumption in the story was that you couldn't have the parents date each other AND the kids date each other, but it's not actually out of the realm of possibility. Though it feels weird.

I know it happens and I know people who've done it. It was more the fact that Ari recognized she had a good heart but he wasn't interested in a stalker mother in law, even a well intentioned one. But when he saw how taken his father was he was ok with making the shidduch, he just wasn't ok with marrying her daughter. She did mess up, I know it all works out in the end, but what she did was creepy.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:27 am
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
You're forgetting the best part about the ridiculous amount of ads in these YT editions: The fact that each mag advertises heavily about their "Bonus YT edition" with XXX pages of reading material! Except that they forgot to tell you that most of this is ads Rolling Eyes

I still found a lot of extra material despite this.
I can't comment much on mishpacha, I saved that for the last days, but I found much more to read in the Binah than I usually do.

I don't think of YT magazines as an investment, like I do books that go on my library shelves. I think of it as a treat to myself for cooking hundreds of portions of food (not an exaggeration), no cleaning help, etc

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:16 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Esther Edelson's story in the Ami was beautiful!

Was this in the Ami living?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did anyone read the Momentum- supplement to the circle?

Yes I did.
I thought I would enjoy it like I enjoy the circle.
I really didn't.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:26 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Yes I did.
I thought I would enjoy it like I enjoy the circle.
I really didn't.

Same, though I feel bad saying it because the Circle is so incredible.

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 3:56 am
I was seriously disturbed by the Lily story. I'm not naive and know what mental institutions and the like used to be. But the fact that the girl lived at home and the parents knew and allowed the caretaker to beat her just boggles the mind.
and as an OT, I have a really difficult time beleiving she could spontaneously say Millie's name after never speaking for 11, 12 years

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 4:42 am
Did anyone read the story about the women who lied about needing to be on bed rest to get help with the kids and a meal rota?! Thought that was very strange

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 7:58 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
Did anyone read the story about the women who lied about needing to be on bed rest to get help with the kids and a meal rota?! Thought that was very strange

Yes! I was disturbed by it too

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:03 am
I was disturbed by Shia Moseson’s story in the Hamodia supplement.
I know he usually goes the traditional conservative route, but he portrayed therapy quite negatively, instead of making it more obvious that one bad apple does not equal that therapy is a bad thing.
Anyone else felt triggered by the story?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:05 am
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
I was seriously disturbed by the Lily story. I'm not naive and know what mental institutions and the like used to be. But the fact that the girl loved at home and the parents knew and allowed the caretaker to beat her just boggles the mind.
and as an OT, I have a really difficult time beleiving she could spontaneously say Millie's name after never speaking for 11, 12 years

Corporal punishment was common in those days even for well behaved children.
As disturbing as it is, it is probably accurate according to the era it was portrayed in.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

freilich

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:08 am
mommy2379 wrote:
Well I'd like to think he pushed off shidduchim for a long time while he focused on raising his young children, now that they are older its time to get married. OR maybe he just hadn't met the right one yet...(and I can think these things because I wrote it.) Very Happy

Hey! Thanks for coming out of the woodworks. As soon as I saw the author I knew I'm in for a great read. You certainly didn't disappoint me!

I loved the stalking part. It so exaggerated the mothers anxiety. Was fun.

Looking forward to more of your work Hi

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:13 am
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:
The story "so natural" in hamodia was shocking!! It was a satire and it really got the point across.
I couldn't believe they printed such a string story.
A married woman getting a shidduch because of her lace wig...

My thoughts on this story:
I didn't mind the fact that they used the story as propaganda against Lace top wigs.

What bothered me was that the author seemed to not realize that the behavior of the young man was a lot more egregious than the fact that Eliana was wearing a lace top wig.

He tells the shadchan he will check her out at the wedding and then decide if he wants to meet her...Um what? THATS tznius?? Lady, you have a problem with lace tops but not with the idea of a man saying he will look over at the ladies section to see if it's worth his while meeting a girl? And how would he know which one it is? Wouldn't he have to have someone point out the "single daughter from NY"? And if yes, he would have found out in a second that there IS NO SINGLE daughter !

Also, honestly I never heard of this new shtick of meeting a girl once for a short while before doing any research. But seriously, not even like one phone call? What if the person is a psychopath on drugs? What if she was not frum? If he had just made one phonecall to ask if it was in the ballpark, he would have heard that the family does not have a single daughter!

Finally, along the same lines, I never heard of a single shadchan suggesting a shiduch without knowing the first thing about either side. Even if you dont know much, you make one phone call to someone who knows the parties to ask if it's in the ballpark, if the person is looking , etc.
Just unrealistic.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:15 am
I read the Mishpacha supplement over second days and enjoyed it very much. Thoughtful stories with actually meaning, not just fluff or imagination.
Thank you to all the Mishpacha contributors. Your hard work and talent shines through!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:17 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
I was disturbed by Shia Moseson’s story in the Hamodia supplement.
I know he usually goes the traditional conservative route, but he portrayed therapy quite negatively, instead of making it more obvious that one bad apple does not equal that therapy is a bad thing.
Anyone else felt triggered by the story?

I wasnt triggered but I did find the story heartwrenching. I do think these things happen.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:34 am
The lace top one was silly I agree.
I know not everyone wears wedding rings but most do.
And ftr you can totally spot a lace top from the back. The hair still has a wiggy look.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 12:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any of them made an impression on you?

The one with Tirtzah being sold as a slave to support her family touched me in such a deep depressing way, I was literally sad by the YT seuda afterwards looking around at my precious girls and thinking of one sad girl who had to go live somewhere else just so her family can eat and then her father didn't even want to redeem her after 2 yrs, so horrible! Then she was so respectful to him and ready to get married at such a young age. Oh, I hope these kind of stories didn't really happen! So so so sad! I'm tearing up again just thinking of it!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 12:21 am
I know I posted up thread about the stories not having good endings, but over second half I read the binah supplement (vistas), and each story ends with a big red dot. Two stories seem to truly end mid-story and don't have the concluding dot. I don't usually buy binah, but if they publish the endings I just might. Can someone please post if they do?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 12:23 am
The Vaad is wrong in that Vistas story whose title I've forgotten, and though Raizy should not automatically copy her mother's opinions, she should still recognize that they are abusing their power.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room