Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Story Supplements in the Yom Tov Magazines
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

SuperWify

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 4:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The Lily story in the Mishpacha was very hard to read. It made me so angry at the parents for the way they were treating their daughter and the way they snuck her away without letting Millie say goodbye. True that's how it was in the olden days but still very upsetting to read.

The last story about the girl supporting her parents, two comments:
1. The premise of the girl was incorrect. She thinks that if she moved to NY she will be able to save money? She isn't factoring in the costs of renting an apartment and all the ancillary coats of living on one's own. At home she has no car- she gets to share her parents car, she doesnt pay rent, food etc. So now she pays for a few things here and there- does she really think it will be cheaper to live on her own?

The second thought I had is of my father who talks about taking a job at 12 years old, at a bicycle repair shop, coming home each week and proudly handing all of his money to his mother. He talks about how much pride he felt in being able to contribute to family expenses. Ecen today, in some parts of the world, money that is earned by a child still living at home goes towards family expenses. Today we have come so far from that, parents are not only expected to support single children but often married children as well.

It's true that when a child gives parents money, it takes away from some of the parental authority but that is only because today the expectation is such that parents have to support even adult children, and chas veshalom that children should contribute to family expenses. So when the parents cant cover all the expense, and the child resentfully steps in to "save the day" it creates that imbalance.

This story made me so mad. Is mishpacha promoting this dysfunctional dynamic? I don’t understand it at all.

small bean

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:17 am
SuperWify wrote:
This story made me so mad. Is mishpacha promoting this dysfunctional dynamic? I don’t understand it at all.

I didnt feel like it was done positively, so bo promotion.

I felt like a bunch of the stories were discussions here and then made in a story, like this one.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:30 am
Does anyone know someone like Tanta Toby?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:42 am
Who is tanta toby? Which magazine?

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 8:52 am
SuperWify wrote:

I think the story was an acknowledgement of how these children used to be handled, and how we now understand the amount of pain it caused all involved, ie that it's wrong.

I kind of liked the story in mishpacha about the words in the wall. I don't remember any of the others except vaguely the one with the summer house, so I guess they were pretty forgettable 🤷🏼‍♀️

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:05 am
I'm not going to say which supplements I read but a few thoughts":
1. Story supplements don't have ads
2. I started reading one the Shabbos after YK and realized that they were so mostly full of existential angst that they wouldn't add to my simchas YT so I read them on Shabbos. (Which begged the question a child asked me: And what about oneg Shabbos?) They don't all have to be sunshine and rainbows and unicorns but please, editors, a few upbeat stories would kill you?

cupcake123

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:07 am
I didnt read the ami yet. From the mishpacha only the lili story stood out..

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:12 am
I really liked "the electrician's wife"!!!
Anyone else?

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:33 am
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
Lily in mishpacha made me bawl

Did you think the ending meant that she was giving up on trying to find her sister? I found that very upsetting.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:36 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
The Ami starts at page 78.
Binah starts at page 63.
Rolling Laughter
Are you allowed to read adverts on Shabbat?

Odelyah

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:37 am
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
Anyone else?

Actually compared to the other stories, I thought the ending was a bit cliched and pat. And unsatisfying. l'maaseh she wasn't happy, so now because of the daughter's observation she will be retroactively happy?

it reminded me a little of the "do you love me" song in fiddler on the roof--so maybe that's why it felt cliche?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:46 am
I don't remember which kid magazine, maybe the teen one, there was a story that was a rip off of the movie 13 Going on 30...did anyone else catch that one Cool

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:48 am
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
Did you think the ending meant that she was giving up on trying to find her sister? I found that very upsetting.

Not necessarily..I think she was young and didnt have the tools to search for her sister. As an adult she will continue trying to find her sister.

The ending just showed her having closure about the doll. She was holding onto it because it represented her love for her sister and her need to give her sister an expression of her love. It also represented the idea that she saw her sister as a person with a heart and feelings, not just a [crazy] invalid.

That opportunity was snatched away from her before it could be expressed. When she saw a little boy with the same condition as her sister, she had someone else to express those feelings to, which gave her closure.

And of course, she has an instant bond with the brother and will marry him. Smile

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:50 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Rolling Laughter
Are you allowed to read adverts on Shabbat?

I'm not in the market for a Schneller penthouse so I'm good.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:54 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm not in the market for a Schneller penthouse so I'm good.

😂😂😂

mizle10

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:54 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
The Ami stories seemed to be going for the ambiguous endings, not that they literally ended in the middle.

I literally turned the page because I assumed there was more to read.

chagru

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 9:55 am
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
Anyone else?
loved it. So relatable the way it was written.
Also really liked the story of the girl supporting her family

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:04 am
I felt the ami stories ended in the middle. It was so annoying

I like the mishpacha ones better

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:15 am
Odelyah wrote:
Actually compared to the other stories, I thought the ending was a bit cliched and pat. And unsatisfying. l'maaseh she wasn't happy, so now because of the daughter's observation she will be retroactively happy?

it reminded me a little of the "do you love me" song in fiddler on the roof--so maybe that's why it felt cliche?

I didn't get the feeling that she was unhappy. More like she felt guilty that she wasn't the perfect wife as protrayed by the Shalom bayis teacher. At the end, she realized that relationships mature and what she had was right for her and her husband at that time and then she was able to relax and appreicate it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:24 am
mizle10 wrote:
I literally turned the page because I assumed there was more to read.

Same.
Except for the one with the Father who sells his daughter. That one had a very satisfying conclusion..
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room